Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City > New York City Housing Lottery
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-09-2019, 05:20 PM

12 posts, read 14,811 times

Advertisements

Any information on this? Received an email stating that there are no more available units in my AMI Range.
Wondering if I should give up all hope , or is landing one of these apartments in my far future?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-09-2019, 07:06 PM

4,768 posts, read 6,555,721 times
Did they say anything about a waiting list? Did you hand in documents?

Old 09-09-2019, 07:18 PM

31,897 posts, read 26,926,466 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LaFlame View Post
Any information on this? Received an email stating that there are no more available units in my AMI Range.
Wondering if I should give up all hope , or is landing one of these apartments in my far future?
Email means what it says; there are no more available units for whatever was chosen. End of story unless something about a wait list was mentioned.

There is always hope units will open up in future, but since RS units are rather like NYCHA (people only leave feet first in a box), don't count on very high turnover to open up units. More so since newly passed rent control laws make it exceedingly more difficult (along with time consuming and expensive) to remove rent controlled/stabilized tenants in all but the most egregious situations.

Best persons like can hope for is a dramatic downturn in NYC economy that throws people out of work. Longer that goes on sooner or later it begins to affect a good number of RS tenants who either move out of their own free will (cannot afford to pay rent), or are (finally) evicted after prolonged battle of non-payment court cases.

Old 09-09-2019, 07:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by macnyc2003 View Post
Did they say anything about a waiting list? Did you hand in documents?
Went on an interview in July, handed in documents, email stated that there are no more available units, that the application will remain on the lottery log and they will contact me "when & if" they reach my log number for any available units

Old 09-09-2019, 07:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BugsyPal View Post
Email means what it says; there are no more available units for whatever was chosen. End of story unless something about a wait list was mentioned.

There is always hope units will open up in future, but since RS units are rather like NYCHA (people only leave feet first in a box), don't count on very high turnover to open up units. More so since newly passed rent control laws make it exceedingly more difficult (along with time consuming and expensive) to remove rent controlled/stabilized tenants in all but the most egregious situations.

Best persons like can hope for is a dramatic downturn in NYC economy that throws people out of work. Longer that goes on sooner or later it begins to affect a good number of RS tenants who either move out of their own free will (cannot afford to pay rent), or are (finally) evicted after prolonged battle of non-payment court cases.
They did not use the term wait listed, but said my application will remain on file

Old 09-09-2019, 07:48 PM

4,768 posts, read 6,555,721 times
Well, that’s pretty self explanatory. But strange things do happen. It could be that some of the units promised to other people fall through at the last minute. You still may get called at some point.

Old 09-10-2019, 10:50 AM

3,132 posts, read 2,724,468 times
Yeah, move on with your life, but leave a tiny spark of hope if you want.

Old 09-11-2019, 10:17 AM

6,681 posts, read 6,022,713 times
I wouldn't hold my breath. "No more available units" means exactly that: No more units available. Apply elsewhere.

Old 09-11-2019, 12:36 PM

5,462 posts, read 5,702,939 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BugsyPal View Post

Even if tenants move out, there is no guarantee that the units will be available for rent. After the new rent regulations laws went into effect Stuy Town and Peter Cooper village completely halted any renting of available units. There are currently 50+ RS apartments just in Stuy Town that are sitting empty with landlord (Blackstone) refusing to rent them out. They also halted all apartment renovations due to new MCI caps. Several major landlords like Katz and Forest Realty are currently suing NYC in federal courts over the rent laws, and if the landlords were to lose, I think a lot more of them will completely halt any new tenants from renting their apartments and exit J-51 and other such programs.
Most major landlords are in the process of re-evaluating their portfolios and some major housing developers such as Extell and JDS are thinking of downsizing or completely exiting NYC real estate market. Extell shifted their $$$ to new Dallas properties and JDS is diverting their $$$ from NYC to Florida.

Last edited by Gantz; 09-11-2019 at 12:49 PM..

Old 09-11-2019, 12:50 PM

3,672 posts, read 2,748,808 times
With the new law allowing illegals and people with poor credit to apply, the odds of landing a lotto apartment went way down. I’d look into other options.

Also with the new rent stabilization laws on the books, I doubt anyone with a RS apartment will be moving anytime soon, making the market even tighter.

I’m just waiting for the mayor to announce that illegals will get preference in lotto apartments. Would not surprise me at all.

It’s rough out there. Good luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City > New York City Housing Lottery
View detailed profiles of: