U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old Yesterday, 09:11 PM

3 posts, read 113 times

Advertisements

I’ve heard that east Harlem has changed a lot in the past few years, I’ve seen some great apartments that have been fully renovated in the 103 st -105 st with park and lex area.

Is it really better? Safe? I need some advice before leasing.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old Yesterday, 10:41 PM

447 posts, read 450,963 times
It’s been a pretty violent summer in East Harlem and it remains Manhattan’s most dangerous neighborhood, but definitely better than it was in the past by a long stretch.

Old Yesterday, 11:05 PM

4,672 posts, read 4,147,546 times
it still ain’t sh**

Old Today, 12:58 AM

52 posts, read 30,394 times
Stay away from 112-115 from lenox to the river, 104-115 from madison to park and 125 river to river. East Harlem as a whole will never gentrify to the point that bushwick (as an example) has due to the massive amounts of projects and tenements located in the neighborhood. Over the years it's gotten much better but what hasn't? That's not rly saying all that much.

Old Today, 04:20 AM

442 posts, read 204,541 times
Until the projects are taken down it won get better any time. Was there on 101 and lex. Cute area , great Moroccan restaurants mks one bedrooms going for 2000-3000 a month.

Itís the projects that ruin the quality of the hood. They pack lots of people for such a small area.

Old Today, 04:24 AM

7 posts, read 3,845 times
If you want the current facts look at the NYC crime map: https://maps.nyc.gov/crime/
You will see that the area of East Harlem you are looking at is one of the safest in NYC. Also, you will be within a block of the 103rd subway station and close to the Q station at 96th - that has really opened up that area for transportation to the rest of NYC. Unlike other people that are commenting, I live in East Harlem and do everything (other than work) in the area. I find it really friendly and safe personally (lived here for 4 years). I live further north than you are looking, but you are right near Mount Sinai Hospital, one of the biggest employers in New York city, and as a consequence, 1000s of medial students, residents and fellows live in that area. Go up there, walk around and see how you feel. If you have any more questions, feel free to direct message me.

Old Today, 10:04 AM

4,672 posts, read 4,147,546 times
EH has been and will continue to gentrify but in order of it to happen, for the millionth time, it needs draw

Old Today, 10:17 AM

8,299 posts, read 3,657,889 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jet2021 View Post
If you want the current facts look at the NYC crime map: https://maps.nyc.gov/crime/
You will see that the area of East Harlem you are looking at is one of the safest in NYC. Also, you will be within a block of the 103rd subway station and close to the Q station at 96th - that has really opened up that area for transportation to the rest of NYC. Unlike other people that are commenting, I live in East Harlem and do everything (other than work) in the area. I find it really friendly and safe personally (lived here for 4 years). I live further north than you are looking, but you are right near Mount Sinai Hospital, one of the biggest employers in New York city, and as a consequence, 1000s of medial students, residents and fellows live in that area. Go up there, walk around and see how you feel. If you have any more questions, feel free to direct message me.
Keep telling yourself that. East Harlem has improved, but overall it still dumpy in parts and filthy. Still couldn't pay me to live there.

Old Today, 10:31 AM

559 posts, read 837,719 times
I've worked in EH for over 15 years, and the area is definitely on the gentrification cycle. While it is still very dodgy by 125th, the part that you are looking at OP is quieter, and there are no fewer than four new residential (read "luxury") buildings going up on Lex between 106th and 110th, plus there are those new condos on 104th and Park, which is going to further change the feel of the neighborhood.

Old Today, 10:58 AM

8,299 posts, read 3,657,889 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by popartist View Post
I've worked in EH for over 15 years, and the area is definitely on the gentrification cycle. While it is still very dodgy by 125th, the part that you are looking at OP is quieter, and there are no fewer than four new residential (read "luxury") buildings going up on Lex between 106th and 110th, plus there are those new condos on 104th and Park, which is going to further change the feel of the neighborhood.
Luxury yes, but the hood rats aren't going anywhere.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City