U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-11-2019, 07:57 AM

2,705 posts, read 885,703 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlakeJones View Post
Garbage.

"Gee let's all pretend that Italians still live here and this isn't actually a narrow tourist trap in Chinatown and blow $20 on stale sausage & peppers and zeppoles from a chain food cart"
Oh for crying out loud, shut your piehole if you don't have anything positive to contribute. Which is rare.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-11-2019, 09:50 AM

8,440 posts, read 6,457,674 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hannah5555 View Post
Oh for crying out loud, shut your piehole if you don't have anything positive to contribute. Which is rare.
haha, triggered - guess I hit a nerve. Nothing wrong with liking san genero to each their own it's really not for me there's nothing authentic left on Mulberry

Old 09-11-2019, 10:54 AM

Quote:
haha, triggered - guess I hit a nerve. Nothing wrong with liking san genero to each their own it's really not for me there's nothing authentic left on Mulberry
oh please. You never have anything positive to say about anything. Byeee.

Old 09-11-2019, 11:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hannah5555 View Post
oh please. You never have anything positive to say about anything. Byeee.
buh bye

Old 09-11-2019, 01:28 PM

113 posts, read 20,085 times
Quote:
Garbage.

"Gee let's all pretend that Italians still live here and this isn't actually a narrow tourist trap in Chinatown and blow $20 on stale sausage & peppers and zeppoles from a chain food cart"

I don't like crowds or big feasts. I went to San Gennaro once years ago and wasn't too impressed. The Italians for the most part left Little Italy by the late 1970s. Italian-Americans were smart enough to leave those tenements for homes in the outer boroughs or suburbs. You won't hear too many Italians getting all nostalgic over Little Italy as a place to live. Yes many of our grandparents lived there and it is a historic neighborhood but that's all. Other ethnic groups who cling to ghettos could learn from the Italians.

Old 09-11-2019, 03:06 PM

2,204 posts, read 1,455,197 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pope of Greenwich Village View Post
I'm glad I could do that for you.

But now I've got a sad story to tell...

Back in the dark days of WWI, in the flaming trenches of No Man's Land, the Italian Army facing off with the German Huns.

No action for days, everyone starving in the trenches.

Finally the Italians are getting fed up. One guy says: "There must be a guy named Schmitt over there, no?"

Another guy goes, "Yeah, there must be. At dawn we call out: 'Hey, Schmitty!' then when he stands up we open fire and get this thing going."

Dawn comes, the Italian soldier calls out, "Hey Schmitt!..."SCHMITTY!"

From across No Man's Land, the reply, "TONY...is that you?"

All the Italians stand up.
Dark

Old 09-11-2019, 04:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dfc99 View Post
I don't like crowds or big feasts. I went to San Gennaro once years ago and wasn't too impressed. The Italians for the most part left Little Italy by the late 1970s. Italian-Americans were smart enough to leave those tenements for homes in the outer boroughs or suburbs. You won't hear too many Italians getting all nostalgic over Little Italy as a place to live. Yes many of our grandparents lived there and it is a historic neighborhood but that's all. Other ethnic groups who cling to ghettos could learn from the Italians.
Arthur ave is more authentic than Mulberry these days. But if you want a real authentic little Italy Philadelphia still has the Italian Market on South 9th:

Italian Americans have almost completely abandoned NYC compared to what it used to be

Old 09-13-2019, 06:38 AM

21,756 posts, read 28,823,156 times
+1 Blake

I gave up on street festivals about 2 decades ago. Same belts, sunglasses, T-shirts, and CD's....BORING

First picture looks more like CALCUTTA (or is it KOLKATA now?) Crowds that dense make me dizzy and apprehensive. I can't even do Gay Pride anymore,

Old 09-14-2019, 04:51 PM

3,209 posts, read 6,392,803 times
I went Thursday. Just had sausage and peppers and a canoli.

I used to do the two above, along with raw clams and calamari. My 51 y/o body says, "You can't do all four of those, anymore!"

Old 09-14-2019, 08:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scatman View Post
I went Thursday. Just had sausage and peppers and a canoli.

I used to do the two above, along with raw clams and calamari. My 51 y/o body says, "You can't do all four of those, anymore!"
Hate when that happens! Reminds me I need a new bottle of Rolaids soon....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City