U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-10-2019, 08:47 PM

1,922 posts, read 690,973 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ Brazen_3133 View Post
Blue collar NYers have been leaving for a while because Yuppies, and Hipsters take over their neighborhood. But at the same time more wealthy people are moving in.

As of this year, there is a large increase in wealthy people selling their NYC homes. If someone is selling their NYC home, do you think he is moving in or out?
Quick reply to this message

Old 09-10-2019, 08:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
Specifically, it was over dependence on one industry and the city has a history of ethnic/racial tension that is complicated, as the migration to Detroit involved black and white Southerners. So, it brought that dynamic to the city/area. If it wasnít in the form of riots(had major ones in 1863, 1943 and 1967), it manifested when Coleman Young became mayor, the cityís first black mayor, in 1974. He was mayor for 20 years and it gradually became divisive. So, Detroitís situation is very nuanced.

Correct, Detroit depended too much on one industry, and that industry vanished... however, you can create the same result by chasing ALL businesses and industries from a city by imposing prohibitive taxation and other anti-business measures. Oh right, and the big difference from Detroit is that there is noooo ethnic/racial tension in NYC at all... :-).

Old 09-10-2019, 09:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeventhFloor View Post
We can continue this conversation when you are willing to put the shoe on the other foot. Until then, it is pointless.

The discussion is not about shoes and feet, but about facts reported in the news.

Old 09-10-2019, 09:32 PM

3,589 posts, read 3,422,481 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elnrgby View Post
The discussion is not about shoes and feet, but about facts reported in the news.

I think you should keep 7s engaged in such discussions until he is enlightened enough to realize that NYC is regressing in many aspects compared to pre-de blasio eras...it is pretty a tough job but I am confident that you are the right person to do this enlightening...

Old 09-10-2019, 10:00 PM

1,945 posts, read 1,330,683 times
Who cares. I’m here in the city to make a **** ton of money and retire in my early 50s. Move the heck out of here and live the life in Central America.

I love NYC, but f it.

Old 09-10-2019, 10:14 PM

11,163 posts, read 9,545,183 times
The democritters in the state legislature are trying to put together a single payer heath insurance bill . This would come with an additional 12-18% tax on top of existing income taxes. If the goes through we'll really see people fleeing the city/state.

Old 09-11-2019, 06:47 AM

5,847 posts, read 3,058,029 times
^ The only thing that's keeping it an all-out mass exodus is that jobs are still here. Once companies and their jobs also leave, watch out.

Stupidly, the Democrats are doing their darndest to make it difficult and expensive to operate in New York (both city and state) so you know its just a matter of time before businesses leave en masse too.

It's like they are trying to make living and working in NY as difficult as possible for those that are positive contributors to the city/state's tax base and economy, while catering to the people that contribute the least. Retarded.

Old 09-11-2019, 07:49 AM

2,784 posts, read 2,360,628 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by antinimby View Post
^ The only thing that's keeping it an all-out mass exodus is that jobs are still here. Once companies and their jobs also leave, watch out.

Stupidly, the Democrats are doing their darndest to make it difficult and expensive to operate in New York (both city and state) so you know its just a matter of time before businesses leave en masse too.

It's like they are trying to make living and working in NY as difficult as possible for those that are positive contributors to the city/state's tax base and economy, while catering to the people that contribute the least. Retarded.

And for this exact reason will Trump win in 2020.

Old Yesterday, 08:47 AM

13,338 posts, read 9,036,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by antinimby View Post

Not that this is intentional, but how else can they get revenue for all the social programs to keep their voter base in tact.

The next recession or next big movement will break this or democrats hold on the city or state. Remember how it all fell apart for the Dems as GOP captured both the governor and mayor. People just got tired of how bad NYC became.

Old Yesterday, 10:34 AM

2,201 posts, read 1,451,443 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhyRUMad View Post
Who cares. Iím here in the city to make a **** ton of money and retire in my early 50s. Move the heck out of here and live the life in Central America.

I love NYC, but f it.
Good point. It doesn't matter if a million people leave, my income wouldn't change. In fact, it'd go up due to 'mandatory' COL changes, whatever that really means.

My only other option at this level without needing a car is San Francisco, and I don't want to be in California...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or