U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-12-2019, 10:41 AM

799 posts, read 483,141 times

Advertisements

Nope, I'm actually trying to move *to* NYC from Westchester because after doing the math it will cost me the same even with the income tax and I can avoid the 2 hour commute each way plus dealing with metro north. Don't care about schools, and I don't need a 2k sq ft of home on a half acre of land, so there's really no reason to stay in the suburbs. Also I hate driving everywhere, which is required up in these parts.

Now if someone would just buy my Westchester house...!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-12-2019, 11:04 AM

8,312 posts, read 3,668,025 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vladlensky View Post
Nope, I'm actually trying to move *to* NYC from Westchester because after doing the math it will cost me the same even with the income tax and I can avoid the 2 hour commute each way plus dealing with metro north. Don't care about schools, and I don't need a 2k sq ft of home on a half acre of land, so there's really no reason to stay in the suburbs. Also I hate driving everywhere, which is required up in these parts.

Where do you live that you hate Metro-North? The Hudson Line is great, but the Harlem line... Overcrowded...

Old 09-12-2019, 11:06 AM

8,312 posts, read 3,668,025 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hannah5555 View Post
Again?
Whatever you do, do NOT mention that place that starts with a "P"!!

Old 09-12-2019, 11:40 AM

799 posts, read 483,141 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pierrepont7731 View Post
Where do you live that you hate Metro-North? The Hudson Line is great, but the Harlem line... Overcrowded...
I live on the Hudson line southern Westchester. By all accounts it's a dream commute, but getting to downtown via the subway from GCT is taking 2 hours on a good day. Plus, lately dealing with the school traffic which overwhelms the local roads at home is becoming a headache. At this point I'm ok with living in a much smaller place in exchange for getting 4 hours of my life back every day.

Old 09-12-2019, 12:15 PM

2,697 posts, read 879,876 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pierrepont7731 View Post
Whatever you do, do NOT mention that place that starts with a "P"!!

hahahaha

Old 09-12-2019, 11:20 PM

6,523 posts, read 6,566,624 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elnrgby View Post
As of this year, there is a large increase in wealthy people selling their NYC homes. If someone is selling their NYC home, do you think he is moving in or out?
I think he/she selling to another wealthy person who likely move in or rent to another wealthy person who will move in.

Even if home prices are dropping, they have long way to go before wealthy are the not the primary investors/buyers.

Old 09-12-2019, 11:24 PM

11,165 posts, read 9,545,183 times
Have you considered leaving NYS entirely?

Quote:
Originally Posted by vladlensky View Post

Old Yesterday, 06:17 AM

12,506 posts, read 7,122,865 times
Between July 2017 and July 2018, New York lost 180,306 people and gained 131,746 new residents. A difference of 48,560 abandoned New York — the biggest decrease of any state in the US.

The report states that while New Yorkers are leaving en masse, “the blow is being softened by international migrant inflows. From July 2017 to July 2018, close to 200,000 New Yorkers sought a new life outside the Big Apple while the area welcomed almost 100,000 international migrants.”

I read Carl Ichan is moving his hedge fund from NYC to Miami yesterday: 75 employees and taxpayers which earn avg. of $1.4 million each.

We left manhattan a few years ago. while always expensive, the city was safe and clean during Giuliani and Bloomberg years. It is sad to see what progressive NYC voters have done to it recently by electing de Blasio.

Last edited by texan2yankee; Yesterday at 06:34 AM..

Old Yesterday, 06:36 AM

5,848 posts, read 3,058,029 times
^ Besides a headcount, I'd also be curious of the income/wealth of the people leaving versus the people coming.

Old Yesterday, 06:43 AM

20,215 posts, read 35,197,954 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texan2yankee View Post
Between July 2017 and July 2018, New York lost 180,306 people and gained 131,746 new residents. A difference of 48,560 abandoned New York — the biggest decrease of any state in the US.

The report states that while New Yorkers are leaving en masse, “the blow is being softened by international migrant inflows. From July 2017 to July 2018, close to 200,000 New Yorkers sought a new life outside the Big Apple while the area welcomed almost 100,000 international migrants.”

I read Carl Ichan is moving his hedge fund from NYC to Miami yesterday: 75 employees and taxpayers which earn avg. of $1.4 million each.

We left manhattan a few years ago. while always expensive, the city was safe and clean during Giuliani and Bloomberg years. It is sad to see what progressive NYC voters have done to it recently by electing de Blasio.
The city was safe and clean during Giuliani and Bloomberg?

Rats, gangs, shootings
The city still had all of the above when those mayors were in office, so I'm confused
There were more dangerous neighborhoods in the early 2000s in NYC than there are now

Forum TOS: http://www.city-data.com/forumtos.html
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or