U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 09-13-2019, 10:16 PM
 
6,553 posts, read 6,580,908 times
Reputation: 3040

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by iammax View Post
Of course people are fleeing. Landlord greed and stagnant wages from corporations is making the city nearly unliveable at the prices being asked, and the smokescreen that it's the government's fault or immigrant's fault is being blown around as usual, in order for the wealthy to keep the normal people fighting with each other instead of them.

The biggest fault of the government is that they offer **** wages to *most* agencies. Some MTA, NYFD, and NYPD employees make a ton of money, but try getting by in NYC on the salary of, say, a DEP scientist or civil engineer.
NYPD is security apparatus. MTA is life blood of city. That is all that is really needed to keep the wealthy happy. Protection, and transportation. As for other jobs, only their yes men matter. Every one underneath them is replaceable.

Quote:
Originally Posted by elnrgby View Post
Wrong - he/she not selling to another wealthy person. His/her property stay on market for a long time because no buyer interested. Meanwhile, he/she gone to another state (because he/she can afford to buy another home while the one in NYC sitting empty), and he/she no longer paying income tax to NYC to support NYCHA etc.
If we are just going by price of RE, still has not fallen that hard. It still expensive to buy and rent here. Anyone who is buying still has means.

If people are renting out to poor families of 20 each and what not with Sec 8 or whichever welfare, then technically the owners have not "left" . Their presence is still here even if physically they arent. They still are paying property/business related taxes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 09-13-2019, 10:22 PM
 
6,553 posts, read 6,580,908 times
Reputation: 3040
Where are these poor migrant/illegal immigrants suppose to live?

I thought there is backlog for public housing. Landlords dont like Sec 8, and want yuppies.

Are they all moving into the new Hudson Yards, or the LIC new buildings? What about those new developments in Flushing like Tangram that is selling for close to a $1mil?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-13-2019, 10:57 PM
 
21,569 posts, read 14,299,866 times
Reputation: 15136
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ Brazen_3133 View Post
Where are these poor migrant/illegal immigrants suppose to live?

I thought there is backlog for public housing. Landlords dont like Sec 8, and want yuppies.

Are they all moving into the new Hudson Yards, or the LIC new buildings? What about those new developments in Flushing like Tangram that is selling for close to a $1mil?
Plenty of illegals, migrants or whatever will buy first chance they get. And before anyone starts no, you don't have to be a US citizen or legal resident to buy property. There are banks who deal especially with "migrants" and mortgages.

Go out to parts of LI, NJ, PA, heck even SI (Port Richmond, etc..) Queens and Brooklyn and you'll find this is true.

Immigrants (legal or whatever) migrants and so forth see renting for what it is; paying someone else's mortgage. Many of them like our own family came to this country to get away from "renting", and to get something (land) of their own.

During the fiscal crisis/foreclosure mess there were reports in NY media about various state agencies (including AG's office) that worked with "ahem" migrants/immigrants who were facing foreclosure. Recall a few stories about Mexicans who lived out on LI (Hempstead?) that because one or two of the jobs they worked (out of the more than one), laid them off so became behind in mortgage payments and bank was foreclosing. Agencies worked to lean on banks and stop things/get mortgages refinanced or whatever.

Also before anyone starts as it is abundantly clear at least downstate in democrat areas, no one gives a rat's behind about immigration status. People can come here work, start a business, send their kids to school, etc... all with blessings of mayors, local government and so forth. You'll never here Bdeb, Corey Johnston, or 99.9% of city council use words "illegal immigrants". So why should it surprise anyone they are buying properties.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-13-2019, 11:31 PM
 
6,553 posts, read 6,580,908 times
Reputation: 3040
Quote:
Originally Posted by BugsyPal View Post
Plenty of illegals, migrants or whatever will buy first chance they get. And before anyone starts no, you don't have to be a US citizen or legal resident to buy property. There are banks who deal especially with "migrants" and mortgages.

Go out to parts of LI, NJ, PA, heck even SI (Port Richmond, etc..) Queens and Brooklyn and you'll find this is true.

Immigrants (legal or whatever) migrants and so forth see renting for what it is; paying someone else's mortgage. Many of them like our own family came to this country to get away from "renting", and to get something (land) of their own.

During the fiscal crisis/foreclosure mess there were reports in NY media about various state agencies (including AG's office) that worked with "ahem" migrants/immigrants who were facing foreclosure. Recall a few stories about Mexicans who lived out on LI (Hempstead?) that because one or two of the jobs they worked (out of the more than one), laid them off so became behind in mortgage payments and bank was foreclosing. Agencies worked to lean on banks and stop things/get mortgages refinanced or whatever.

Also before anyone starts as it is abundantly clear at least downstate in democrat areas, no one gives a rat's behind about immigration status. People can come here work, start a business, send their kids to school, etc... all with blessings of mayors, local government and so forth. You'll never here Bdeb, Corey Johnston, or 99.9% of city council use words "illegal immigrants". So why should it surprise anyone they are buying properties.
Well, they have worked pretty darn hard and long to afford that down payment.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-14-2019, 12:09 AM
 
21,569 posts, read 14,299,866 times
Reputation: 15136
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ Brazen_3133 View Post
Well, they have worked pretty darn hard and long to afford that down payment.

Maybe, then again maybe not.

Those same banks or whoever that deal with "migrants" and mortgages offer same products (or did at least before fiscal mess) as anyone else. This included low down payment and so forth mortgages.


https://www.nydailynews.com/new-york...icle-1.3157695

https://www.alipac.us/f9/illegal-imm...s-itns-220979/
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-14-2019, 09:13 AM
 
Location: Austin
12,523 posts, read 7,132,851 times
Reputation: 13924
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeventhFloor View Post
The city was safe and clean during Giuliani and Bloomberg?

Rats, gangs, shootings
The city still had all of the above when those mayors were in office, so I'm confused
There were more dangerous neighborhoods in the early 2000s in NYC than there are now
I moved to manhattan in the mid 80s, during the Koch administration. Our apt. was on UWS, a block from the natural history museum.

My experience living in the city for the next few years was sometimes harrowing. homeless people slept everywhere near my apartment and their feces were everywhere. In my neighborhood, crime made it dangerous to walk outside after dark. the subway was full of trash, covered in graffiti, and populated with homeless who begged and slept in the cars. whites dared not travel north of 125th due to physical attacks.

In two years, I witnessed several robberies and passengers beating each other on the subway, was robbed on 77th and park on a weekday afternoon and was terrorized by a man covered in blood and carrying a knife near Columbia Presbyterian hospital while getting a lunch sandwich for a family member recovering at the hospital. If I remember there were over 2000 murders that year in the city.

the city was bad.

When rudy took over from Dinkins, the city changed drastically regarding safety and cleanliness. the homeless disappeared, crime went down, and the subways cleaned up. Bloomberg carried on Rudy's policies. this was my experience. yours may have been different.

Last edited by texan2yankee; 09-14-2019 at 09:49 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-14-2019, 09:16 AM
 
Location: Confines of the 101 Precinct
20,226 posts, read 35,230,041 times
Reputation: 8693
Quote:
Originally Posted by texan2yankee View Post
I moved to manhattan in the mid 80s, during the Koch administration. Our apt. was on UWS, a block from the natural history museum.

My experience living in the city for the next few years was sometimes harrowing. homeless people slept in the surrounding area and human feces were everywhere. In my neighborhood, crime made it dangerous to walk outside after dark. the subway was full of trash, covered in graffiti, and populated with homeless who begged and slept in the cars. whites dare not travel north of 125th due to physical attacks.

In two years, I witness several robberies and passengers beating each other on the subway, was robbed on 77th and park on a weekday afternoon and was terrorized by a man covered in blood and carrying a knife near Columbia Presbyterian hospital while getting a lunch sandwich for a family member recovering at the hospital. If I remember there were over 2000 murders that year in the city.

the city was bad.

When rudy took over from Dinkins, the city changed drastically regarding safety and cleanliness. the homeless disappeared, crime went down, and the subways cleaned up. Bloomberg carried on Rudy's policies. this was my experience. yours may have been different.
Aha. you lived on the UWS. I'm from Far Rock. If anything my QOL has improved since the 1980s living here, and it continues to improve. When I moved to where I'm currently at 10 years ago, I heard gunshots every weekend. Now I can't remember the last time I heard gunshots around here. Not every facet of life has improved out here, but plenty of others have.

I can see how living in a gentrified neighborhood forms biases.
__________________
"The man who sleeps on the floor, can never fall out of bed." -Martin Lawrence

Forum TOS: http://www.city-data.com/forumtos.html
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-14-2019, 10:19 AM
 
1,950 posts, read 698,470 times
Reputation: 2086
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ Brazen_3133 View Post
NYPD is security apparatus. MTA is life blood of city. That is all that is really needed to keep the wealthy happy. Protection, and transportation. As for other jobs, only their yes men matter. Every one underneath them is replaceable.



If we are just going by price of RE, still has not fallen that hard. It still expensive to buy and rent here. Anyone who is buying still has means.

If people are renting out to poor families of 20 each and what not with Sec 8 or whichever welfare, then technically the owners have not "left" . Their presence is still here even if physically they arent. They still are paying property/business related taxes.

The top 1%ers, who are the backbone of NY tax system, are mostly not in the business of renting out (and most certainly not to families of 20 or to Sec 8). When 1%ers leave their domicile in NY, they take away the state income tax on all of their income from all the sources worldwide. They only continue paying real estate tax on their former NY home, for as long as the home remains unsold. Because of living/working in multiple states for most of my working life, I am well aware of tax domicile rules, and what they can do to taxes.



The poor in NYC have been given phenomenally good opportunities, for 80 years, to get themselves out of poverty and into a decent lifestyle. Not only that they have not used the opportunities properly, but they have systematically abused those opportunities by exploiting and harassing taxpayers who subsidized those opportunities in the first place. No, charity support is not a human right, but a human luxury, as AOC and her voter base are about to learn.

Last edited by elnrgby; 09-14-2019 at 11:05 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-15-2019, 10:21 AM
 
113 posts, read 20,085 times
Reputation: 139
Quote:
Originally Posted by BugsyPal View Post
Plenty of illegals, migrants or whatever will buy first chance they get. And before anyone starts no, you don't have to be a US citizen or legal resident to buy property. There are banks who deal especially with "migrants" and mortgages.

Go out to parts of LI, NJ, PA, heck even SI (Port Richmond, etc..) Queens and Brooklyn and you'll find this is true.

Immigrants (legal or whatever) migrants and so forth see renting for what it is; paying someone else's mortgage. Many of them like our own family came to this country to get away from "renting", and to get something (land) of their own.

During the fiscal crisis/foreclosure mess there were reports in NY media about various state agencies (including AG's office) that worked with "ahem" migrants/immigrants who were facing foreclosure. Recall a few stories about Mexicans who lived out on LI (Hempstead?) that because one or two of the jobs they worked (out of the more than one), laid them off so became behind in mortgage payments and bank was foreclosing. Agencies worked to lean on banks and stop things/get mortgages refinanced or whatever.

Also before anyone starts as it is abundantly clear at least downstate in democrat areas, no one gives a rat's behind about immigration status. People can come here work, start a business, send their kids to school, etc... all with blessings of mayors, local government and so forth. You'll never here Bdeb, Corey Johnston, or 99.9% of city council use words "illegal immigrants". So why should it surprise anyone they are buying properties.

Many Mexicans are buying houses up in the Port Richmond area of SI. Maybe not the best neighborhood but there are relatively cheap 1 and 2 family homes for sale. The Mexicans are taking over from the Italian-American lawn care guys too. A lot of the old school Italians are selling their lawn care and even construction businesses to their Mexican workers, equipment, trucks and everything. One day your lawn guy is Italian, the next day it's a Mexican.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-15-2019, 10:56 AM
 
11,199 posts, read 9,561,091 times
Reputation: 6897
Let them move out of NY Metro, and the NE corridor altogether. The midwest is vastly cheaper.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ Brazen_3133 View Post
Where are these poor migrant/illegal immigrants suppose to live?

I thought there is backlog for public housing. Landlords dont like Sec 8, and want yuppies.

Are they all moving into the new Hudson Yards, or the LIC new buildings? What about those new developments in Flushing like Tangram that is selling for close to a $1mil?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply

Quick Reply
Message:



Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top