U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old Yesterday, 08:47 AM

6,489 posts, read 6,023,395 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeventhFloor View Post
I didn't know the one by Jacob Javits closed
Closed a few years ago. My friend owned the bar next door and got a lot of money.....Thank Hudson yards Development
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old Yesterday, 08:53 AM

361 posts, read 126,612 times
I remember smoking a joint outside the Bottom Line years ago and some co-ed said I couldn't smoke pot on campus...I looked at her and said "what campus?" F NYU

Yes I'm old I still use the term co-ed.

Old Yesterday, 09:04 AM

4,681 posts, read 4,152,284 times
Quote:
I didn't know the one by Jacob Javits closed
That one BEEN gone, up the block from B&H on the corner. It too was a eyesore imo

Old Yesterday, 09:26 AM

635 posts, read 182,677 times
Years ago Columbia had classes on the evils of gentrification today Columbia has gentried whole blocks from 125 st and up you gotta love the hypocrisy!!

Old Yesterday, 09:36 AM

5,843 posts, read 3,055,922 times
^ Leftist/liberal institutions are always full of hypocrisy.

For example, NY Times is the same way. The site where their current headquarters building on 41st Street and Eighth Ave sits was cleared via eminent domain (use of government powers to condemn privately owned property for public use) but yet the newspaper is always biased in its coverage against NYC developers and development projects.

Old Yesterday, 10:32 AM

635 posts, read 182,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by antinimby View Post
^ Leftist/liberal institutions are always full of hypocrisy.

For example, NY Times is the same way. The site where their current headquarters building on 41st Street and Eighth Ave sits was cleared via eminent domain (use of government powers to condemn privately owned property for public use) but yet the newspaper is always biased in its coverage against NYC developers and development projects.
Columbia did the same thing they wanted to take a property that had a storage lockers that been there for years so they low ball the owner and said that was their only offer take it or they will get eminent domain of his land Columbia had the A-hole AG in their pocket at the time!

Old Yesterday, 11:00 AM

8,305 posts, read 3,664,883 times
Quote:
Ehh, I understand that one...the closing of the McDonalds on Broadway and Thomas Street downtown had me scratching my head tho.
I don't know what's so shocking about this. ALL companies that have retail space are looking at their business strategy, which includes closing under performing stores and/or opening new ones with a different layout. McDonald's is no different. If they are going to remain competitive, they need to revamp their stores which they are doing nationwide in order to allow them to remain profitable in changing economic times. People keep forgetting that the minimum wage is now $15, and even McDonald's has to change in order to deal with that. They have a number of stores that have been under performing anyway, so they are closing numerous locations where necessary and opening brand new branches to reinvent the brand and modernize things.

I don't eat that garbage, but assuming they still have that $1 menu, they can't afford to pay people $15 an hour and keep prices so artificially low without making changes in their business strategy.

Old Yesterday, 11:05 AM

20,193 posts, read 35,180,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pierrepont7731 View Post
I don't know what's so shocking about this. ALL companies that have retail space are looking at their business strategy, which includes closing under performing stores and/or opening new ones with a different layout. McDonald's is no different. If they are going to remain competitive, they need to revamp their stores which they are doing nationwide in order to allow them to remain profitable in changing economic times. People keep forgetting that the minimum wage is now $15, and even McDonald's has to change in order to deal with that. They have a number of stores that have been under performing anyway, so they are closing numerous locations where necessary and opening brand new branches to reinvent the brand and modernize things.

I don't eat that garbage, but assuming they still have that $1 menu, they can't afford to pay people $15 an hour and keep prices so artificially low without making changes in their business strategy.
No argument from me

Forum TOS: http://www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old Yesterday, 11:12 AM

8,305 posts, read 3,664,883 times
Quote:
No argument from me
Starbucks has been doing the same thing. I believe both are publicly traded companies, so shareholders are focusing on yield and neither stock IIRC has been doing that hot. McDonald's from a sales standpoint has been having issues in the U.S., which is why they tried to revamp their menu a bit and started doing things with breakfast. Their food is basically garbage to be frank, and most millennials are more health conscious these days, so they need to close down some stores, open new ones and focus more on customer service, which is essentially what they are trying to do with the newer locations. The new stores will have you order from kiosks more times than not in order to cut down on having to have some many people work registers, thus fewer employees to keep overhead costs down, and the stores will also be smaller in some locations to keep rent reasonable.

You'll notice how many Starbucks have closed and now either have a new location that is smaller or they direct customers to nearby locations. Same deal... Too many stores, so they are closing down the under performing ones.

Last edited by pierrepont7731; Yesterday at 12:24 PM..

Old Yesterday, 11:27 AM

123 posts, read 52,422 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vision33r View Post
I predict Columbia and NYU to take over more buildings in NYC. The cost of education at for-profit colleges keep going up. It's like selling a house for them, each college grad paid a sum equivalent to a single family home. And people just won't stop trying to get into these colleges and they are expanding like crazy. NYU is one of my former clients so I know how much they are growing.
NYU (not-for-profit) far and away outstrips the building ownership of the other higher ed institutions in the city - both of the not-for-profit and for-profit variety. I am surprised Columbia picked up the location and not CUNY-Hunter which has been picking up quite a bit of property on the east side of harlem the last few years.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City