U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 09-13-2019, 09:07 AM
 
Location: Confines of the 101 Precinct
20,314 posts, read 35,344,875 times
Reputation: 8750

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlakeJones View Post
Actually I think NYC is primed for the next big middle class exodus. I can see many people bolting for a lot of those places. Austin, TX and Nashville, TN are some of the top destinations for people who want cultured urban style living but without all the bulls***
There's no such thing as middle class to me anymore

That's just a thing made up to make people feel good

Either you're a patrician or a pleb. 1%, or 99%. That's it. Who r we kidding.
__________________
"The man who sleeps on the floor, can never fall out of bed." -Martin Lawrence

Forum TOS: http://www.city-data.com/forumtos.html
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 09-13-2019, 09:53 AM
 
Location: New York City
8,514 posts, read 6,505,414 times
Reputation: 6309
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeventhFloor View Post
There's no such thing as middle class to me anymore

That's just a thing made up to make people feel good

Either you're a patrician or a pleb. 1%, or 99%. That's it. Who r we kidding.
Middle class is basically people who work for their benefits instead of getting it for free from the government. No food stamps, no section 8 vouchers, no medicaid, etc... like the poor class. Then you have wealthy people who if they stopped working tomorrow would not lose any of their quality of life and could coast on their assets
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-13-2019, 10:17 AM
 
Location: Confines of the 101 Precinct
20,314 posts, read 35,344,875 times
Reputation: 8750
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlakeJones View Post
Middle class is basically people who work for their benefits instead of getting it for free from the government. No food stamps, no section 8 vouchers, no medicaid, etc... like the poor class. Then you have wealthy people who if they stopped working tomorrow would not lose any of their quality of life and could coast on their assets
The brainwashing has taken its effect

Case in point
__________________
"The man who sleeps on the floor, can never fall out of bed." -Martin Lawrence

Forum TOS: http://www.city-data.com/forumtos.html
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-13-2019, 11:16 AM
 
2,276 posts, read 2,083,258 times
Reputation: 1793
If you want to see what your neighbors (or any NYC address) are paying in NYC property taxes, enter the address in this link from the NYC Department of Finance and then click on Property Tax Bills. If more people were aware of the discrepancies in taxes I think there would be more outrage.

https://a836-pts-access.nyc.gov/care...x?mode=address
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-16-2019, 11:10 AM
 
2,276 posts, read 2,083,258 times
Reputation: 1793
An Op-Ed in today's Daily News:

https://www.nydailynews.com/opinion/...hhi-story.html
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-16-2019, 01:18 PM
 
21,750 posts, read 14,441,933 times
Reputation: 15313
Quote:
Originally Posted by martinjsxx View Post

Guy is wasting his breath; neither Fredo's big brother nor much of Albany much less city hall has the belly to take on NYC property tax reform unless forced.

It is the ultimate vote looser; no matter what is done someone benefits while someone else is harmed. One vote gained, three lost......

Many minorities in certain parts of Brooklyn, Queens, and Bronx are already moaning they cannot afford their property taxes. Seniors of all demographics are equally moaning about same issue with both claiming they are "house poor" and being forced out of long time family homes because of (supposed) high RE taxes. Then you have middle class co-op and condo owners also crying poverty over property taxes.

Truth to tell much residential and large swaths of condo or co-op property owners in NYC are *NOT* highly taxed, well not compared to NJ, Westchester or LI. It is just that for decades they've all gotten used to paying rather low rates, which has been baked into the cake.

City raises huge sums via property taxes (it is one of if not the largest source of revenue), so any tweaking means basically rearranging the deck chairs on Titanic. That is the total revenue collected must remain same, so it is a matter of who is going to pay more versus those that will pay less or remain at same level.

Obvious solution would be to shrink city government spending; good luck with that. Both NYS and NYC are welfare "states" that require huge infusions of funds taken from those who earn, and given to those that don't. Anything that threatens that status quo will have everyone from SJW to some unions up in arms.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-16-2019, 07:39 PM
 
Location: Manhattan
21,826 posts, read 28,933,162 times
Reputation: 9959
Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
Oh, how weird that a guy who gets a massive amount of campaign donations from real estate moguls and REBNY isnít going to reform a property tax program that greatly favors them. Really odd coincidence here.

Not so odd, you saw real estate taxes cut by Giuliani and Bloomberg. The rich hate paying taxes so they usually DON'T.


Proper property tax reform would DOUBLE real estate taxes, with NO exemptions, yeah churches included.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-18-2019, 07:48 PM
 
Location: NY
4,460 posts, read 1,180,603 times
Reputation: 2610
Quote:
Originally Posted by BugsyPal View Post
I'll say it again; city and Albany won't do anything about property tax mess unless or until forced by legal action. There isn't an upside to politicians as any changes are bound to tick off so called "middle class" homeowners.

Current system was designed back in the 1980's (IIRC) to staunch and or prevent "white flight" as middle class homeowners were leaving NYC for NJ or other areas. Lynch pin of that plan was the cap on how much property taxes and rise (or decrease) in any given year and overall in general. That part of law has created massive distortion which is the source of most ills seen today.

One to three family homeowners pay the *least* amount of property taxes; commercial is highest, followed by co-op/condo. Like much else in this city the property tax system is designed to protect one group at expense of others.

Problem is you have plenty of middle class or below homeowners who cannot even afford the low property taxes already assessed. If things go up they are in trouble.

Because NYC property tax system is a hot mess it has other ways to raise revenue including an income tax. Smart persons sit down, run the numbers and decide for various reasons they are better off paying higher property taxes in NJ, Westchester or LI, *and* getting more back in terms of services/amenities that directly affect themselves (and families), than forking over to NYC/NYS.

If city ever allowed NYPD, FDNY, Corrections and some others to live in NJ, more of Westchester or LI than currently allowed there would be a huge exodus. Certain high income areas of Staten Island, Brooklyn, Queens and even Bronx are largely that way due to huge presence of uniformed city employees. If they go, areas would become busted hoods in about a generation or less.
Opinion:

Well done.......................
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-18-2019, 07:52 PM
 
Location: NY
4,460 posts, read 1,180,603 times
Reputation: 2610
Quote:
Originally Posted by BugsyPal View Post
Guy is wasting his breath; neither Fredo's big brother nor much of Albany much less city hall has the belly to take on NYC property tax reform unless forced.

It is the ultimate vote looser; no matter what is done someone benefits while someone else is harmed. One vote gained, three lost......

Many minorities in certain parts of Brooklyn, Queens, and Bronx are already moaning they cannot afford their property taxes. Seniors of all demographics are equally moaning about same issue with both claiming they are "house poor" and being forced out of long time family homes because of (supposed) high RE taxes. Then you have middle class co-op and condo owners also crying poverty over property taxes.

Truth to tell much residential and large swaths of condo or co-op property owners in NYC are *NOT* highly taxed, well not compared to NJ, Westchester or LI. It is just that for decades they've all gotten used to paying rather low rates, which has been baked into the cake.

City raises huge sums via property taxes (it is one of if not the largest source of revenue), so any tweaking means basically rearranging the deck chairs on Titanic. That is the total revenue collected must remain same, so it is a matter of who is going to pay more versus those that will pay less or remain at same level.

Obvious solution would be to shrink city government spending; good luck with that. Both NYS and NYC are welfare "states" that require huge infusions of funds taken from those who earn, and given to those that don't. Anything that threatens that status quo will have everyone from SJW to some unions up in arms.
Opinion:
Force the politicians hand.
Continue raising the minimum wage to equal skilled labor.
Sit back and watch the fireworks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-19-2019, 02:24 AM
 
2,276 posts, read 2,083,258 times
Reputation: 1793
Quote:
Originally Posted by BugsyPal View Post
If city ever allowed NYPD, FDNY, Corrections and some others to live in NJ, more of Westchester or LI than currently allowed there would be a huge exodus.
More of Westchester or LI? NYPD, FDNY, and Corrections officers can live in any part of Westchester and Long Island now. All those jobs have this requirement which doesn't exclude any part of Westchester or LI:

"Residency: You must also be a United States citizen, have a valid New York driver license and live in one of the city's five boroughs or Nassau, Suffolk, Rockland, Westchester, Putnam or Orange counties within 30 days of being hired."

https://www1.nyc.gov/site/nypd/caree...po-hiring.page
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply

Quick Reply
Message:




Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top