U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-12-2019, 10:22 AM

8,515 posts, read 20,553,948 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midwesterns45 View Post
Starbucks no longer has the prestige that it did in the 90s. It’s still overpriced but at the same time it’s a social oasis where you can charge your phone and use the bathroom all day without having to buy anything. There is a Starbucks on 32nd st and the bathroom smells horrible and has smudged graffiti spots. Homeless and the emotionally disturbed are often there and are told by employees to get lost. I’m sure the same will occur at this new location.
These days I don't see a difference between a Starbucks opening and a McDonalds or Burger King opening.
Hardly newsworthy. They all devolve into whatever the neighborhood level is rather than bringing the neighborhood up.

There has been a Starbucks in my Bronx neighborhood for 5 years and it hasn't done a thing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-12-2019, 10:24 AM

2,204 posts, read 1,454,189 times
Those 6 train stations on 138th st are ratchet af and the fact that they're surrounded by those 3 NYCHA makes it very annoying just to visit. I will admit, I've enjoyed the little that Buckner Blvd has, but damn getting back into those stations and you remember where you are. Also when the Clocktower over on Lincoln Ave was advertising lofts, but in reality they were just studios that cost as much as my Lower East Side studio at the time, wtf.

South Bronx needs something more than just Starbucks.

Old 09-12-2019, 10:29 AM

8,314 posts, read 3,675,924 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Javawood View Post
Those 6 train stations on 138th st are ratchet af and the fact that they're surrounded by those 3 NYCHA makes it very annoying just to visit. I will admit, I've enjoyed the little that Buckner Blvd has, but damn getting back into those stations and you remember where you are. Also when the Clocktower over on Lincoln Ave was advertising lofts, but in reality they were just studios that cost as much as my Lower East Side studio at the time, wtf.

The only thing Mott Haven has going for it is Bruckner Blvd which is a bit removed from the subway. If you don't have to go near the PJs it's actually not too bad. Of course that would probably mean that you never need the subway and drive or take Lyft or Uber. lol

Old 09-12-2019, 10:34 AM

20,224 posts, read 35,213,508 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Javawood View Post

Keep in mind that especially along the 6 train, there's a lot of manufacturing buildings similar to how the Lower West Side was in the 1960s and 1970s before it eventually became SoHo and TriBeCa. Back in the day, the squatters occupied the buildings and they got NYC to create the Loft Law.

They will have to get BSA approval most likely before those manufacturing buildings can be converted to residential use. Example, East 143rd Street train station:

https://goo.gl/maps/cKXM19PWhYS1gPmM7

Forum TOS: http://www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 09-12-2019, 11:06 AM

686 posts, read 242,953 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeventhFloor View Post
Starbucks has been on 161st for a few years now as well

I'll admit, I don't have much of a fascination with Bronx gentrification as I once did, I'll regain interest once the waterfront properties are 100% occupied.
The Starbucks along with the Chipolte on 161 across from the courthouse was more of a stepping stone...Until the get rid of that damn methadone clinic on 161 and Morris that corner will be always trashy from 7am to 5pm M - F.

Old 09-12-2019, 11:56 AM

639 posts, read 183,969 times
A can of bustelo coffee is cheaper and better then one cup of starbucks!

Old 09-12-2019, 12:22 PM

6,508 posts, read 6,033,782 times
As someone who is actually on the block several times a week, starbucks won't do ****.

Some of ya'll have funny comments considering you probably been there all of one time in your life and it was 10 years ago.

Old 09-12-2019, 01:30 PM

4,694 posts, read 4,162,247 times
Iíve been telling you, the Bronx will not fully gentrify until East Harlem does

Old 09-12-2019, 01:32 PM

It looks like they’re constructing Samaritan Village residences off of 149th. Courtlandt Ave area. Guess the goal is to house the addicts/former addicts

Old 09-12-2019, 01:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RICANRICAN View Post
A can of bustelo coffee is cheaper and better then one cup of starbucks!
Youíre right. Iíve seen the block for $2.50 lol
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or