Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-12-2019, 01:34 PM

1,486 posts, read 989,335 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by livingsinglenyc View Post
As someone who is actually on the block several times a week, starbucks won't do ****.

Some of ya'll have funny comments considering you probably been there all of one time in your life and it was 10 years ago.
You actually walk on 3rd?

My cut off point is Melrose Ave. I dont even like walking on Cortland when i go to that area.
Every back to school year i have to drop off or pick up a family member from Cookies as i refuse to get them from Youngland.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-12-2019, 01:38 PM

7,906 posts, read 7,888,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Javawood View Post
Those 6 train stations on 138th st are ratchet af and the fact that they're surrounded by those 3 NYCHA makes it very annoying just to visit. I will admit, I've enjoyed the little that Buckner Blvd has, but damn getting back into those stations and you remember where you are. Also when the Clocktower over on Lincoln Ave was advertising lofts, but in reality they were just studios that cost as much as my Lower East Side studio at the time, wtf.

South Bronx needs something more than just Starbucks.
That’s called draw... which outside of the stadium, the botanical garden, bx zoo, the bx doesn’t have

the bx needs it’s own museum mile when the time is right

Old 09-12-2019, 01:44 PM

7,906 posts, read 7,888,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pierrepont7731 View Post
The only thing Mott Haven has going for it is Bruckner Blvd which is a bit removed from the subway. If you don't have to go near the PJs it's actually not too bad. Of course that would probably mean that you never need the subway and drive or take Lyft or Uber. lol
I think Port Morris specifically the bruckner blvd area is the draaaaaw because it’s a nice quiet little strip removed from the projects. You got fresh direct and fed ex stationed near there as well

they have got to do somethin about the killbrook projects. the senior housing which they put up on killbrooks grounds looks nice

Old 09-12-2019, 01:47 PM

31,909 posts, read 26,979,379 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluedog2 View Post
Well, Starbucks didn't do much to gentrify Fordham Rd which is much the same as The Hub in every respect.
I think Starbucks has been on Fordham Rd for 5 or 6 years. It's done zilch.

I think the days of Starbucks being any kind of a barometer of gentrification ended years ago.
Exactly!

Call me when a Sweetgreens opens up in Bronx; now *that* would be news of gentrification.

Old 09-12-2019, 04:14 PM

6,680 posts, read 8,237,363 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoullessOne View Post
You actually walk on 3rd?

My cut off point is Melrose Ave. I dont even like walking on Cortland when i go to that area.
Every back to school year i have to drop off or pick up a family member from Cookies as i refuse to get them from Youngland.
I'm a runner, I'm all around the south bronx and manhattan several times a week.

Old 09-12-2019, 05:16 PM

31,909 posts, read 26,979,379 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HellUpInHarlem View Post
Signage is up with location looking like it will open up shortly
Nasty and over priced coffee, ditto for their "drinks", and ever SB has become a de facto combination senior, after school, homeless center combo "WeWork" location. You can have it.

Whatever upscale gentrifying or whatever image SB had died long ago. Now they are just like Mikey D's, this or a place to find a free public bathroom. At least McD's makes you buy something first.

Old 09-12-2019, 08:18 PM

1,486 posts, read 989,335 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluedog2 View Post
Well, Starbucks didn't do much to gentrify Fordham Rd which is much the same as The Hub in every respect.
I think Starbucks has been on Fordham Rd for 5 or 6 years. It's done zilch.

I think the days of Starbucks being any kind of a barometer of gentrification ended years ago.
Fordham is too far from Midtown Manhattan to be influenced by the right people to move there and change it for the better.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Ryu View Post
It is what it is. If the current occupants want it to be ghetto, ratchet, and trashy forever then they should BUY their apts.
Im not understanding your comment. your saying if they want it to remain as crappy as it is now that they should buy something in the area? The reason 3rd ave is so hood is because it is surrounded by projects. After school it becomes the main hub for kids to hang out due to many travel lines cross there. Its a recipe for trouble. I use to be one of those kids hanging around there during the Funcoland days.

Quote:
Originally Posted by livingsinglenyc View Post
I'm a runner, I'm all around the south bronx and manhattan several times a week.
Oh you be dipping through lol.

Old 09-13-2019, 04:47 AM

11,199 posts, read 9,085,355 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoullessOne View Post
Fordham is too far from Midtown Manhattan to be influenced by the right people to move there and change it for the better.

Im not understanding your comment. your saying if they want it to remain as crappy as it is now that they should buy something in the area? The reason 3rd ave is so hood is because it is surrounded by projects. After school it becomes the main hub for kids to hang out due to many travel lines cross there. Its a recipe for trouble. I use to be one of those kids hanging around there during the Funcoland days.

Oh you be dipping through lol.
If people want their area to never change and not get gentrified and remain whatever it is then they should buy,

Old 09-13-2019, 06:33 AM

2,315 posts, read 1,152,181 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Midwesterns45 View Post
Starbucks no longer has the prestige that it did in the 90s. It’s still overpriced but at the same time it’s a social oasis where you can charge your phone and use the bathroom all day without having to buy anything. There is a Starbucks on 32nd st and the bathroom smells horrible and has smudged graffiti spots. Homeless and the emotionally disturbed are often there and are told by employees to get lost. I’m sure the same will occur at this new location.

Overpriced burnt-tasting coffee. I prefer the local coffee shops here on Staten Island. At home I drink Gevalia bold roast coffees.

Old 09-13-2019, 03:15 PM

6,680 posts, read 8,237,363 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Ryu View Post
If people want their area to never change and not get gentrified and remain whatever it is then they should buy,
On every thread lately you seem to be telling people to buy. Just because you plan on buying in the next year does not mean everyone cares to buy. I will never buy, I like the renting life and not being tied down. I lived in some fantastic places and some not so but I wouldn't trade any of it to be locked into one apt for the rest of my life. **** mine as well just pack up and move to the burbs then
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City