U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-16-2019, 09:09 AM

8,489 posts, read 3,779,495 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HellUpInHarlem View Post
The fact that Mott Haven now has a bagel store and a good legit wine shop says that 138th is a changin. Itís only a matter of time til 149th follow suit. They need to propose a rezoning from river to river and deratchetfy 149th. the Bronx needs big name businesses to set up shop
I don't know what your obsession is with the Bronx gentrifying, but it has been changing and improving now for years. It is not going to see the kind of big changes you may be hoping for, but places like Melrose for example have gone from extremely poor to working class areas in parts. There is a lot of building going on, and most of it is for working people. If you're hoping for another Riverdale, that isn't likely. Parts of Mott Haven are becoming expensive, but that's mainly near the waterfront or along Bruckner Blvd.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-16-2019, 09:45 AM

4,763 posts, read 4,223,572 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pierrepont7731 View Post
I don't know what your obsession is with the Bronx gentrifying, but it has been changing and improving now for years. It is not going to see the kind of big changes you may be hoping for, but places like Melrose for example have gone from extremely poor to working class areas in parts. There is a lot of building going on, and most of it is for working people. If you're hoping for another Riverdale, that isn't likely. Parts of Mott Haven are becoming expensive, but that's mainly near the waterfront or along Bruckner Blvd.
No one ever said the Bronx wasn’t improving. In fact I highlighted the parts where it is. I’ve been in the Bronx in the 80’s when there was nothin but burned out shells of buildings in South Bronx. They just re-painted the express train bridges a few years ago. as a whole, It still ain’t sh** it’s still very much way behind development and draw that the other boros have. Some neighborhoods still don’t have decent fresh food options
You’ll be surprised. When EH gentrifies and the councilmen/women aren’t in the position of power they once were, because they died off, etc, you’re gonna see a seismic shift of the Bronx. They ain’t even ready for what they’re gonna do to the Bronx

Old 09-16-2019, 09:58 AM

4,763 posts, read 4,223,572 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dfc99 View Post
LOL 'deratchetfy', but you're right.
Listen. I know the Bronx as well as I know Harlem. I was there last week. All those skels were laid out, KO, on 149th you go down near the Burger King, Auto Zone, and across the street where that vacant boarded up wooden lot is and it just gets worse. I heard they all sleep where the train tracks are

Old 09-16-2019, 10:24 AM

1,440 posts, read 1,830,536 times
Quote:
Youíll be surprised. When EH gentrifies and the councilmen/women arenít in the position of power they once were, because they died off, etc, youíre gonna see a seismic shift of the Bronx. They ainít even ready for what theyíre gonna do to the Bronx

And then it will be a case of gee shoulda bought 10 years ago when the naysayers were still laughing.

Old 09-16-2019, 11:28 AM

2,577 posts, read 3,612,904 times
Starbucks isn’t a gentrification signal but independent coffee shops are- especially ones that have the gentrifiers favorite weekend activity of brunch. How many of those are now in the area? And what do they look like on a Saturday or Sunday early afternoon? Packed or sparse?

I swear by using Yelp business listings of an area to figure out if it’s changing.

Old 09-16-2019, 12:12 PM

135 posts, read 27,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jad2k View Post
Starbucks isnít a gentrification signal but independent coffee shops are- especially ones that have the gentrifiers favorite weekend activity of brunch. How many of those are now in the area? And what do they look like on a Saturday or Sunday early afternoon? Packed or sparse?

I swear by using Yelp business listings of an area to figure out if itís changing.

Good point. The independent coffee shops are a sign that a local entrepreneur is willing to take a chance on the neighborhood. Unfortunately in NYC the deck is now stacked against entrepreneurs. The $15/hour minimum wage will mean the end of many neighborhood coffee shop and restaurants. Paying someone $31200/year to pour coffee is not a viable long-term business model.

Old 09-16-2019, 01:07 PM

21,863 posts, read 14,543,903 times
Truth to tell SB needs all the new locations it can open. Sales haven't been what they once were. and the brand certainly peaked some time ago.

SB coffee is dreck, and drinks over priced for what they are; if they didn't allow persons to lounge about all day long for nothing (and let everyone including homeless use their bathrooms), most places would be empty.

SB long ago reached a saturation point in many urban and suburban areas; but now they are facing increased competition as both independent and others get into the coffee/drink business. Joe the Juice, Irving Farm, etc... are all nipping at SB's heels.

Old 09-17-2019, 01:42 PM

6,577 posts, read 6,109,889 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pierrepont7731 View Post
Ummm as someone who lives here now its not and it is not working class. Its low income working people, very different.

Old 09-17-2019, 01:44 PM

6,577 posts, read 6,109,889 times
Quote:
Listen. I know the Bronx as well as I know Harlem. I was there last week. All those skels were laid out, KO, on 149th you go down near the Burger King, Auto Zone, and across the street where that vacant boarded up wooden lot is and it just gets worse. I heard they all sleep where the train tracks are
Yah I can't run on 149th street now. Too many cracked out folks and people pan handling. Its really not a pretty site.

Old 09-18-2019, 10:51 AM

8,489 posts, read 3,779,495 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by livingsinglenyc View Post
Ummm as someone who lives here now its not and it is not working class. Its low income working people, very different.
Quite frankly, I don't see the difference. Working class is working class as far as I'm concerned. I wouldn't call it middle class that's for sure or professional types. Just people trying to make ends meet, and still lots of poor people and people on programs. I think that was really the point I was trying to make, which is that there are fewer of the people on programs types compared to the past, so you actually have some people that go out and work instead of relying on handouts, even if they are still poor. I respect them for at least trying.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or