U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-12-2019, 05:59 PM

4,291 posts, read 1,724,043 times

Advertisements

Hal's on line two.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-12-2019, 08:46 PM

11,211 posts, read 9,574,950 times
I assume you know the Steinbrenner family hails from Tampa.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeventhFloor View Post
Call me when the Yankees move

Old 09-12-2019, 08:51 PM

20,265 posts, read 35,265,153 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BBMW View Post
I assume you know the Steinbrenner family hails from Tampa.
You know like how the Brooklyn Dodgers moved to LA? I meant like that. Guess I really had to break it down.

Forum TOS: http://www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 09-12-2019, 11:23 PM

11,211 posts, read 9,574,950 times
For now, they're making too much money here. But I wonder where Hal Steinbrenner's tax domicile is?

Quote:
You know like how the Brooklyn Dodgers moved to LA? I meant like that. Guess I really had to break it down.

Old 09-13-2019, 04:51 AM

9,038 posts, read 7,301,565 times
Quote:
Call me when the Yankees move
Most of the players have lol

Need help? Click on this: >>> ToS, Mod List, Rules & FAQ's, Guide, CD Home page, How to Search

Old 09-13-2019, 06:41 AM

5,861 posts, read 3,075,770 times
Cities on the decline generally don't lose their sports teams. Buffalo, Detroit, Baltimore, St. Louis, New Orleans, Cleveland, etc. at their darkest depths never lost their teams.

Old 09-13-2019, 10:28 AM

8,479 posts, read 6,471,510 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluedog2 View Post
Icahn made it clear why he wanted to move to Miami....and thus move his offices with him.
He said he is 83 and wants a slower pace year round. In other words he is retiring. ?
Exactly right. Most people who retire stop working and move to Florida. But when you're Carl Ichann you don't quit you just take your whole company with you. This isn't a case of fleeing taxes, although it does happen but not as much as you would think. People want to be in NYC, that's where the money is

Old 09-13-2019, 10:45 AM

719 posts, read 1,200,466 times
It’ll be 1975 again. Thanks Albany & city hall!

Old 09-13-2019, 02:37 PM

7 posts, read 1,560 times
Icahn is worth 20 billion. He's no longer running a hedge fund and is now a family office so assuming he's really just managing his own money now rather than investors and assuming he's having a decent year and his fund yields 10%, that's 2 billion NYS is missing out on taxable income or around 200 million tax dollars. Ouch.

Old 09-14-2019, 06:40 AM

6,568 posts, read 6,594,681 times
Carl Icahn is known for corporate raiding, hostile takeovers, and all that other negative aspects often associated with an industry that does not exactly have the best reputation. George Soros, Bernie Madoff, Dick Fuld are a part of this group too.

These guys are colloquially famed for destroying the middle class, and Main Streets by eliminating jobs, shipping jobs overseas, or transferring wealth to themselves without adding anything of value. They are more often than not accused of orchestrating the largest financial crisis in history, known as the 2008 GFC, for their own gain. It is said their plan all along was to simply give themselves a bailout via a gov't they already secretly own and control through whatever unscrupulous means.

Basically if NYC truly deserves to called a parasite city, the reason is likely due to certain individuals as Carl Icahn. Assuming all these negative stereotypes are true, losing the taxes a person like this is paying is probably not the worst out there. Heck, there are people out there that feel as if Carl Icahn, and such people never been born at all, the whole country if not the whole world be a better place.

There are those that feel without a shadow banking industry in existence, or at least one not as large as it has gotten over these past few decades, the income parity of this country probably be much better. Therefore no one city be so dependent on a few taxpayers. We presumedly will not have a handful of states like California carrying other much poorer states in terms of federal tax contributions.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City