Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-12-2019, 09:24 PM

3 posts, read 1,731 times

Advertisements

Hello, I am trying to figure out cost for a 2nd floor addition to my house in Flushing, Queens. My ranch house is about 1100 sqft but per code the 2nd floor can only have about 600 sqft of living space (3 bedrooms, 1 bath), the rest will need to be open up to the 2nd floor roof. Nothing fancy, front all brick and rest sidings. Can anyone help me with a cost estimate?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-12-2019, 11:21 PM

15,828 posts, read 14,468,374 times
This is just so the wrong forum for this question. Start here...

http://www.city-data.com/forum/house/

Maybe try Homeadvisor, or one of the other contractor referral sites.

Old 09-13-2019, 06:28 AM

5,298 posts, read 6,174,862 times
Can't find the per square foot cost of building a house addition in Queens, but the average construction cost in the city is $362 per square foot. Figure at least $200 per square foot.

Old 09-13-2019, 09:47 AM

3 posts, read 1,731 times
Thank you BBMW, I will post in on house forum ...

Thanks Wells5 for the info, appreciated.

Old 09-13-2019, 09:58 AM

19,061 posts, read 12,713,229 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob67 View Post
Hello, I am trying to figure out cost for a 2nd floor addition to my house in Flushing, Queens. My ranch house is about 1100 sqft but per code the 2nd floor can only have about 600 sqft of living space (3 bedrooms, 1 bath), the rest will need to be open up to the 2nd floor roof. Nothing fancy, front all brick and rest sidings. Can anyone help me with a cost estimate?
BE VERY CAREFUL!!!!

I cannot stress this enough but the most important first step is finding a competent, high skill architect. Everything flows from that. If the architect is an idiot the contractor will take advantage and rob you blind of all your time and money. The architect must know what they're doing and know the NYC building code inside out. Then you need to find quality contractors who are VERY hard to find in NYC.One thing you can use to your advantage is that the general contractor has to be State licensed, not city licensed, so you can find a good contractor outside NYC willing to come to NYC to do the job. It will be a relatively high paying job for them and you will have their full attention - they will value your project unlike all the other NYC based hustlers who have more work than they could ever get done

Old 09-13-2019, 10:12 AM

34,075 posts, read 47,260,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlakeJones View Post
BE VERY CAREFUL!!!!

I cannot stress this enough but the most important first step is finding a competent, high skill architect. Everything flows from that. If the architect is an idiot the contractor will take advantage and rob you blind of all your time and money. The architect must know what they're doing and know the NYC building code inside out. Then you need to find quality contractors who are VERY hard to find in NYC.One thing you can use to your advantage is that the general contractor has to be State licensed, not city licensed, so you can find a good contractor outside NYC willing to come to NYC to do the job. It will be a relatively high paying job for them and you will have their full attention - they will value your project unlike all the other NYC based hustlers who have more work than they could ever get done
The GC still needs a tracking number appointed by the NYC Dept of Buildings in order to have permits issued to them. The bolded part is false.

Forum TOS: http://www.city-data.com/forumtos.html
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: