U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-14-2019, 11:23 AM

11,196 posts, read 9,561,091 times

Advertisements

I'm hoping enough people get mad enough about this type of $hit to elect people who'll do what needs to be done to stop it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-14-2019, 12:14 PM

50 posts, read 48,215 times
These "progressives" never learn. The next mayor of NYC (probably Corey Johnson) have the same political ideology as Commred Warren Wilhelm

Old 09-14-2019, 02:05 PM

1,943 posts, read 698,470 times
And regarding the "anti-gentrifiers" protesting the displacement of low-income Latino population from Williamsburg, and the need to protect good old criminal low-income ghetto from alleged hordes of hipsters, these are the numbers:

1. the total population of Williamsburg, Brooklyn is around 33,000

2. the total population of NYCHA project residents in NYC is 400,000 who reside there legally plus estimated 100,000 to 200,000 who live in NYCHA housing without authorization. This does not even include all the NYCHA Section 8 recipients who do not live in projects, but rent from private landlords. Additionally, there are two other major agencies in the city besides NYCHA that provide subsidized housing to low-income NYers.

3. the total population of Latinos legally residing in NYC is around 2,300,000.

4. the total number of millenials that moved into the small retirement/family city of Henderson NV in the past year is greater than the total number of millenials that moved to NYC in the past year. The top three cities with the greatest influx of millenials in the past year were Dallas TX, Seattle WA, and Portland OR, while NYC was not even among the top 25. Areas of the country that have consistently received the highest influx of millenials in the past 5-10 years have been in Texas (Dallas, Houston, Austin), Colorado (Denver and smaller cities), San Diego, Seattle, and the university triangle in North Carolina.

If someone is being prevented from living in NYC, are the hipster gentrifiers really driving out the righteous low-income non-white population.... or is it in fact exactly the opposite? What do the numbers say?

Last edited by elnrgby; 09-14-2019 at 02:17 PM..

Old 09-14-2019, 05:02 PM

13,362 posts, read 9,055,579 times
I was at Williamsburg 2 months ago trying to get through Brklyn from BQE jams. It's a 2 sided town where 1 side is still ghetto and other side transformed by gentrification. I'm willing to bet a lot of hoods are out looking to rob or beatup gentrifiers at night. The area was always a crack house and it may take another 30 years to clean up unless DeBlasio is stalling the progress.

Old 09-14-2019, 05:04 PM

2,172 posts, read 671,871 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vision33r View Post
I was at Williamsburg 2 months ago trying to get through Brklyn from BQE jams. It's a 2 sided town where 1 side is still ghetto and other side transformed by gentrification. I'm willing to bet a lot of hoods are out looking to rob or beatup gentrifiers at night. The area was always a crack house and it may take another 30 years to clean up unless DeBlasio is stalling the progress.
Both sides of Williamsburg are very gentrified.

Old 09-14-2019, 05:21 PM

10,712 posts, read 8,705,303 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeventhFloor View Post
I'm not going to debate it with you. silverbullnyc is from the area, hopefully he sees this thread.
I think silverbullnyc is from East Williamsburg, but says its Bushwick.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City