U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: How often do you drive into Manhattan south of 60th Street?
More than once a week 10 18.18%
Once a week 0 0%
1-few times a month 4 7.27%
1-few times a year 8 14.55%
Once a year 6 10.91%
Once every few years 5 9.09%
Never 22 40.00%
Voters: 55. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-18-2019, 07:18 AM

10,727 posts, read 8,716,325 times

Advertisements

Another option should be added for "Rich enough to already be living in Manhattan."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-18-2019, 07:21 AM

20,264 posts, read 35,255,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShirlMastic Beach View Post
Another option should be added for "Rich enough to already be living in Manhattan."
Meh

I created this thread for the complainers so I didn't feel the need to add that option. But I get where you're coming from.

The system was designed to fleece every one of us. Unless you change the structure of the system we will continue to get fleeced.

Problem is that human beings don't want to admit that we all want to have our cake and eat it too

Forum TOS: http://www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 09-18-2019, 07:26 AM

17,680 posts, read 19,920,352 times
I drive into Manhattan once a year like clockwork.

But I live near DC.

Old 09-18-2019, 07:27 AM

20,264 posts, read 35,255,986 times
To the people that voted that they drive into Manhattan more than once a week, how much do you pay for parking in Manhattan for the week?

Forum TOS: http://www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 09-18-2019, 07:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeventhFloor View Post
Meh

I created this thread for the complainers so I didn't feel the need to add that option. But I get where you're coming from.

The system was designed to fleece every one of us. Unless you change the structure of the system we will continue to get fleeced.

Problem is that human beings don't want to admit that we all want to have our cake and eat it too
Greedy Manhattanites have the luxury to eat cake all day long as everyone else is slaving away in the kitchen baking it for them. This is exactly the same fake white progressive greed that got Trump elected. They just don't know when to stop, and true, we give them no reason to. We vote the way they want us to.

Old 09-18-2019, 07:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeventhFloor View Post
To the people that voted that they drive into Manhattan more than once a week, how much do you pay for parking in Manhattan for the week?
Wednesday, and on weekends, I park on the street because of no alternate side regulations. Other weekdays I pay an early bird special of $22.

Old 09-18-2019, 07:41 AM

16 posts, read 4,820 times
I usually drive to Chinatown on the weekends a few times on the weekends during the course of the year.

Old 09-18-2019, 08:06 AM

32,623 posts, read 33,468,763 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hannah5555 View Post
I wonder if there's any way that people who HAVE to drive for work can be excluded from the congestion pricing penalty. Like a sticker on your windshield or something. Probably a logistical nightmare, though.
I read somewhere that even emergency vehicles won't be getting an exemption.

Currently I know a pilot that drives once a week from Queens to EWR via Manhattan to avoid paying tolls. (I am not sure of his return route when he comes back 4-5 days later from a work trip.) I guess one would have to go via Staten Island to avoid congestion pricing to get from Queens to EWR?!

Old 09-18-2019, 08:29 AM

2,714 posts, read 889,334 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chava61 View Post
I read somewhere that even emergency vehicles won't be getting an exemption.

Currently I know a pilot that drives once a week from Queens to EWR via Manhattan to avoid paying tolls. (I am not sure of his return route when he comes back 4-5 days later from a work trip.) I guess one would have to go via Staten Island to avoid congestion pricing to get from Queens to EWR?!
That's absurd. Not to mention the fact it would have to be one heck of an emergency for vehicles to have to come from New Jersey.

Tolls are a fact of life but ours are extremely high. The real issue is how are they spending the money. That's what it always boils down to. If there was some appreciable ROI, that would be one thing, but there's not.

Old 09-18-2019, 08:53 AM

This will be devastating for whatever small business is left on Manhattan Island. The outerboros are much more appealing now anyway than Manhattan is.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or