U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
View Poll Results: How often do you drive into Manhattan south of 60th Street?
More than once a week 10 18.18%
Once a week 0 0%
1-few times a month 4 7.27%
1-few times a year 8 14.55%
Once a year 6 10.91%
Once every few years 5 9.09%
Never 22 40.00%
Voters: 55. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 09-18-2019, 09:02 AM
 
1,186 posts, read 327,195 times
Reputation: 851

Advertisements

I live South of 60th, but don't own a car.
Rent pretty often, and use Zipcar for shopping errands outside Manhattan (Walmart, Costco, Microcenter), so at least once a month.
I hope there's some kind of pass/exemption/discount for those of us that live in the Prime district, but I'll be just fine if there isn't.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 09-18-2019, 09:11 AM
Status: "Debate! Don't ban!!!" (set 12 days ago)
 
Location: Between the Bays
10,727 posts, read 8,716,325 times
Reputation: 5161
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sactown4 View Post
I live South of 60th, but don't own a car.
Rent pretty often, and use Zipcar for shopping errands outside Manhattan (Walmart, Costco, Microcenter), so at least once a month.
I hope there's some kind of pass/exemption/discount for those of us that live in the Prime district, but I'll be just fine if there isn't.
Exception or discount for living in the prime district!?!? Your kidding right? And we wonder why the rich keep getting richer at an exponential pace.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-18-2019, 10:06 AM
 
Location: Manhattan
21,775 posts, read 28,849,450 times
Reputation: 9943
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShirlMastic Beach View Post
Another option should be added for "Rich enough to already be living in Manhattan."

Or SMART enough?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-18-2019, 10:51 AM
Status: "Debate! Don't ban!!!" (set 12 days ago)
 
Location: Between the Bays
10,727 posts, read 8,716,325 times
Reputation: 5161
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kefir King View Post
Or SMART enough?
No. RICH enough. It is racist to imply that only fake white progressives are SMART enough to live on Manhattan Island. It's not about intelligence, it's about greed. You personally helped Trump get elected into office.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old Yesterday, 05:28 AM
 
32,623 posts, read 33,468,763 times
Reputation: 15191
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hannah5555 View Post
That's absurd. Not to mention the fact it would have to be one heck of an emergency for vehicles to have to come from New Jersey.

Tolls are a fact of life but ours are extremely high. The real issue is how are they spending the money. That's what it always boils down to. If there was some appreciable ROI, that would be one thing, but there's not.
I agree that emergency vehicles should be exempt.

Everyone has to pay a high enough toll to cross the Hudson River into NYC. So adding a congestion pricing fee to this is absurd IMHO.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old Yesterday, 07:44 AM
 
Location: Coastal New Jersey
57,498 posts, read 55,718,270 times
Reputation: 68495
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chava61 View Post
I agree that emergency vehicles should be exempt.

Everyone has to pay a high enough toll to cross the Hudson River into NYC. So adding a congestion pricing fee to this is absurd IMHO.
But they aren't. Did you miss the part where the congestion pricing toll is to be credited for those who pay a toll on the HR crossings that bring you into the congeston pricing zone? That's been part of the discussion from the get-go.
__________________
Moderator posts are in RED.
City-Data Terms of Service: http://www.city-data.com/terms.html
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old Yesterday, 07:53 AM
 
Location: Coastal New Jersey
57,498 posts, read 55,718,270 times
Reputation: 68495
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hannah5555 View Post
That's absurd. Not to mention the fact it would have to be one heck of an emergency for vehicles to have to come from New Jersey.
9/11. I remember walking up the West Side highway to the sound of constant sirens screaming as vehicles with the names of Jersey towns came flying past. But that's the "heck of an emergency".

I think if they are going to charge tolls for emergency vehicles, they just won't come. That's ridiculous.



Quote:
Originally Posted by Hannah5555 View Post
Tolls are a fact of life but ours are extremely high. The real issue is how are they spending the money. That's what it always boils down to. If there was some appreciable ROI, that would be one thing, but there's not.
I think there is, at least with the HR crossing tolls. The problem is that people tend to think the tolls at a particular facility; say, the Holland Tunnel, go to maintain and operate THAT PARTICULAR FACILITY, and then they are confused because this isn't the case.

Authorities raise money for their projects by issuing bonds, and in order to make the bonds attractive enough to sell, they must show that they have enough revenue to pay their future obligations. There also has to be enough revenue to cover the assets that lose money, like PATH. PATH fares don't even pay the PS&G bill for the electricity to run the trains, let alone salaries, equipment, maintenance, construction, etc.
__________________
Moderator posts are in RED.
City-Data Terms of Service: http://www.city-data.com/terms.html
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old Yesterday, 01:44 PM
 
32,623 posts, read 33,468,763 times
Reputation: 15191
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
But they aren't. Did you miss the part where the congestion pricing toll is to be credited for those who pay a toll on the HR crossings that bring you into the congeston pricing zone? That's been part of the discussion from the get-go.
I don't remember hearing/reading that if one pays a toll to cross the Hudson River into Manhattan that they would be exempted from paying the congestion pricing fee. How is that credit system supposed to work?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old Yesterday, 02:16 PM
 
Location: Coastal New Jersey
57,498 posts, read 55,718,270 times
Reputation: 68495
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chava61 View Post
I don't remember hearing/reading that if one pays a toll to cross the Hudson River into Manhattan that they would be exempted from paying the congestion pricing fee. How is that credit system supposed to work?
I think that's part of what they're working on figuring out. Technically, they should be able to work it out through programming since it's EZ Pass, so if you, say, use the Lincoln during the CP hours, it's automatically credited toward the CP.

The question is how much is credited and how do to the two different authorities share it, which is what they pay financial advisors and lawyers to figure out for them, and how does that factor into getting to the overall revenue that they are aiming for.
__________________
Moderator posts are in RED.
City-Data Terms of Service: http://www.city-data.com/terms.html
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old Today, 05:10 AM
 
32,623 posts, read 33,468,763 times
Reputation: 15191
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
I think that's part of what they're working on figuring out. Technically, they should be able to work it out through programming since it's EZ Pass, so if you, say, use the Lincoln during the CP hours, it's automatically credited toward the CP.

The question is how much is credited and how do to the two different authorities share it, which is what they pay financial advisors and lawyers to figure out for them, and how does that factor into getting to the overall revenue that they are aiming for.
So if one is more expensive than the other, would one be paying the difference only via their EZ (without getting a separate bill for CP)? What about drivers who don't have an EZ?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply

Quick Reply
Message:



Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top