U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-17-2019, 03:14 PM

13,035 posts, read 6,705,725 times

Advertisements

It could've been inadvertent.

Still, I would have just unchecked the box and went on about my business. Seriously, though, I do not sign that device until I see that the tip box is checked how I want it (to include not being checked).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-17-2019, 03:21 PM

21,601 posts, read 14,326,252 times
Fee or surcharge for using credit cards, get used to it: https://www.silive.com/entertainment...nts-to-do.html

Basically use of a credit or charge card costs merchant or whoever anywhere from 3% to 6% or more off the top. Entire sum could be even greater when various merchant account or other fees are added each month.

Bottom line is those using CC receive a "discount" because a portion of final sales price goes to bank.

In past those accepting CC simply built these costs into price. Everything you purchase with a CC (at least in past and for most part still today) reflects CODB and that includes credit/charge or debit card acceptance.

Problem today is margins are tight and competition is strong for many things. Thus not all vendors (especially small businesses) can raise prices high enough to cover accepting CC. Thus you are seeing either surcharges/fees being added to bills, and or "discounts for cash".

Those who drive and or paid attention to gas station adverts know many have long done this; either give discounts for those who paid with cash, or sought to get more business by advertising they charged same price for both cash and CC customers.

United States as whole is way behind the curve when it comes to a cashless society. In many European or Asian countries things have been mostly "cashless" for some time now. American credit/charge cards are just rolling out "tap and go" (and more places are installing required equipment), but again this has been the norm in many other places for years.

When in Europe can pay for most things either via CC or Apple Pay. Haven't needed to carry cash for awhile now.

Problem with moving towards a cashless sort of world is again not every business can afford to take the financial hit having a merchant account incurs.

Old 09-17-2019, 03:21 PM

11,435 posts, read 22,016,522 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by prospectheightsresident View Post

Still, I would have just unchecked the box and went on about my business. Seriously, though, I do not sign that device until I see that the tip box is checked how I want it (to include not being checked).
It wasn't inadvertent because after lunch I happened to mention it to the person who I was waiting for whose office is in the vicinity and he goes there a lot. He said that's how it's set.

I did just uncheck the box and go about my business.

I guess a lot of people are interested in this topic because the Times did an article about this exact thing two days ago and about 1200 people commented. https://www.nytimes.com/2019/09/15/t...-gratuity.html

Old 09-17-2019, 03:25 PM

Quote:

Once I learned that "$0.00" trick have never gone back. On occasions when have resorted to taking a NYC taxi nothing has changed much. They still are busted immigrants who take the longest route to destination, aren't paying attention to what they're doing, chatting away on their phone while driving, don't bother getting out of taxi to help with bags or heavy packages..... Cabs are still busted, dirty and largely no AC (at least in back seat passenger area). Eff em; I'm not giving a GD penny more than what is on the bill for that kind of service.

Killer is just getting into a cab these days meter is almost $6.00 from word go.

Old 09-17-2019, 03:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BugsyPal View Post
Once I learned that "$0.00" trick have never gone back. On occasions when have resorted to taking a NYC taxi nothing has changed much. They still are busted immigrants who take the longest route to destination, aren't paying attention to what they're doing, chatting away on their phone while driving, don't bother getting out of taxi to help with bags or heavy packages..... Cabs are still busted, dirty and largely no AC (at least in back seat passenger area). Eff em; I'm not giving a GD penny more than what is on the bill for that kind of service.

Killer is just getting into a cab these days meter is almost $6.00 from word go.
I think I do remember trying to change the taxi tip percentage to 18% and ended up giving the cab driver an 18 cent tip (which of course he questioned me about). I can't remember how that got resolved - it's been awhile.

I don't take cabs for the exact reasons you stated. It's Uber and Lyft and sometimes my local car service, but basically I try to avoid all cabs.

Old 09-17-2019, 03:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henna View Post
I think I do remember trying to change the taxi tip percentage to 18% and ended up giving the cab driver an 18 cent tip (which of course he questioned me about). I can't remember how that got resolved - it's been awhile.

I don't take cabs for the exact reasons you stated. It's Uber and Lyft and sometimes my local car service, but basically I try to avoid all cabs.
Taxi drivers have never warmed to CC acceptance, and IIRC they moaned very loudly when TLC made it required. Main gripe was loss of tips, which one supposes is natural.

Think about how many times back in the day passengers just let driver keep whatever change (a few bucks and change) just to make it a round figure. That or driver pulled the old "I don't have change" gag.

Ability to pay exactly what is on the meter is a game changer. Hence various tricks regarding tipping (or not) to extract more money from passengers.

Old 09-17-2019, 06:09 PM

9,700 posts, read 9,464,943 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Henna View Post
I was at Bergn recently and got a salad at Landhaus. They have you pay on a credit card with one of these ipad payment things that they swivel towards you so you can sign. I was surprised and taken aback when I saw that there was an 18% tip already selected -- so if I hadn't been paying attention and just signed my name (the only thing required after your card is swiped), I would have ended up tipping someone just to hand me a salad.

I had to bring my salad to the table, bring the utensils, etc. and afterward clean up by bussing my own table.

I understand that some people think it's cool to tip just for counter service, but my main objection was that an 18% tip was already pre-selected and they thought I would just sign away my money to them without questioning the tip and also the amount of the tip.

Thoughts?
Henna, you left out the crucial detail: Did you amend it to delete the tip?

I hate this kind of thing, and would have complained to the management.

Quote:

That's very nice of you, but in my experience, anything that siphons money from customers to the business is never inadvertent.

Old 09-17-2019, 06:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cida View Post
Henna, you left out the crucial detail: Did you amend it to delete the tip?

I hate this kind of thing, and would have complained to the management.

That's very nice of you, but in my experience, anything that siphons money from customers to the business is never inadvertent.
Yes, I deleted it. They got a zero tip.

Old 09-17-2019, 06:17 PM

1,067 posts, read 506,241 times
haha I hear you.

Tip is for a service yet I always feel like a total cheapskate selecting "no tip"

Old 09-17-2019, 08:15 PM

50 posts, read 12,343 times
This tipping culture is getting out of hand. I remember I order food to go from a diner, the lady at the cash register had the nerve to ask me for a tip. If they ever try to sneak in a tip from a counter service, I would definitely dispute it on my credit card.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or