U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 09-17-2019, 09:59 PM
 
Location: NY
4,349 posts, read 1,148,360 times
Reputation: 2564

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henna View Post
I was at Bergn recently and got a salad at Landhaus. They have you pay on a credit card with one of these ipad payment things that they swivel towards you so you can sign. I was surprised and taken aback when I saw that there was an 18% tip already selected -- so if I hadn't been paying attention and just signed my name (the only thing required after your card is swiped), I would have ended up tipping someone just to hand me a salad.

I had to bring my salad to the table, bring the utensils, etc. and afterward clean up by bussing my own table.

I understand that some people think it's cool to tip just for counter service, but my main objection was that an 18% tip was already pre-selected and they thought I would just sign away my money to them without questioning the tip and also the amount of the tip.

Thoughts?
Opinion:
Cash is and always will be King!
Always...............Always pay with cash when dining out.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 09-18-2019, 09:24 AM
 
2,548 posts, read 3,593,409 times
Reputation: 2091
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Retired View Post
Opinion:
Cash is and always will be King!
Always...............Always pay with cash when dining out.
Cash *was* king but weíre quickly moving towards a cashless society.

As someone already pointed out, many parts of Europe are already largely cashless and this is the way much of the developed world is headed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-18-2019, 09:33 AM
 
Location: New York, NY
8,340 posts, read 3,692,414 times
Reputation: 3431
Quote:
Originally Posted by BugsyPal View Post
Movement away from cash to various electronic means of payment has made it rather easy for various service fees (including tips) to be added on final bill. Many customers either don't realize or even bother to scan said bill. That and or it is so difficult to remove/and they are in a hurry so again don't bother.

In order not to use any of of the pre-selected tip amounts for a NYC taxi ride you must enter $0.00. Not all drivers are forthcoming with that bit of information so many just fork over the lowest (2% or whatever), and be done with things.

Witness also the recent scandal of GrubHub and others tacking on various fees to bills including a service charge for using a CC.

People keep going on about how the new higher minimum wage is so wonderful. If that is so why am I being diddled for tips everywhere? Service certainly hasn't improved across the board, and I'll be darned if am going to pay a "tip" for something I've done largely myself, and or where feel it isn't warranted.
I had coffee this morning at Blue Bottle. It is one of their locations where it is card only, so if you have a problem with your card for whatever reason, you are SOL, so card or bust. On their system, depending on how big the order is, they have suggested tip amounts in dollar form, OR if the amount you are paying is over $10.00, that seems to be the magic number where they offer you to tip a percentage of the total. However, they also offer customized tips or none at all. I don't care what I order. For counter service, the most I am doing is $1.00 if the person taking my order did a great job, otherwise no tip. Adding a $1.00 to every counter order becomes expensive. $2.00 a day 6-7 days a week is about $50 - 60 a month, not including tipping for deliveries. I usually buy coffee once or twice a day and will tip a dollar if the service deserves it, but I have to watch it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-18-2019, 10:05 AM
 
Location: Manhattan
21,773 posts, read 28,849,450 times
Reputation: 9943
"Irregardless" is not a word.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-18-2019, 10:47 AM
 
1,393 posts, read 689,253 times
Reputation: 476
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kefir King View Post
"Irregardless" is not a word.
that's one way to read the thread again.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-18-2019, 11:29 AM
 
Location: New York, NY
1,956 posts, read 1,337,079 times
Reputation: 2385
I only tip for counter service at my local coffee shop if I also order something to eat that they have to prep and I plan to stay, eat there and read my book for a bit.

They are nice kids and the two bucks is nothing to me.

But if Iím jus getting a drip coffee to go, I never tip.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-18-2019, 11:31 AM
 
Location: New York, NY
1,956 posts, read 1,337,079 times
Reputation: 2385
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Retired View Post
Opinion:
Cash is and always will be King!
Always...............Always pay with cash when dining out.
I always use my card when I can. I have a whole system setup with several cards to get cash back and points. I literally get thousands of dollars back per year, and all the extra protections that come with using a card. Plus my cash can stay in the bank earning interest for another month until the statement balance is due plus I don’t have to carry wads of cash around.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-18-2019, 12:18 PM
 
Location: New York, NY
8,340 posts, read 3,692,414 times
Reputation: 3431
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhyRUMad View Post
I only tip for counter service at my local coffee shop if I also order something to eat that they have to prep and I plan to stay, eat there and read my book for a bit.

They are nice kids and the two bucks is nothing to me.

But if Iím jus getting a drip coffee to go, I never tip.
Well yes, tipping two bucks on occasion is no big deal.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-18-2019, 01:53 PM
 
Location: Confines of the 101 Precinct
20,261 posts, read 35,255,986 times
Reputation: 8706
Quote:
Originally Posted by Henna View Post
I was at Bergn recently and got a salad at Landhaus. They have you pay on a credit card with one of these ipad payment things that they swivel towards you so you can sign. I was surprised and taken aback when I saw that there was an 18% tip already selected -- so if I hadn't been paying attention and just signed my name (the only thing required after your card is swiped), I would have ended up tipping someone just to hand me a salad.

I had to bring my salad to the table, bring the utensils, etc. and afterward clean up by bussing my own table.

I understand that some people think it's cool to tip just for counter service, but my main objection was that an 18% tip was already pre-selected and they thought I would just sign away my money to them without questioning the tip and also the amount of the tip.

Thoughts?
Complain on Yelp
__________________
"The man who sleeps on the floor, can never fall out of bed." -Martin Lawrence

Forum TOS: http://www.city-data.com/forumtos.html
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-18-2019, 02:09 PM
 
21,623 posts, read 14,334,400 times
Reputation: 15191
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhyRUMad View Post
I always use my card when I can. I have a whole system setup with several cards to get cash back and points. I literally get thousands of dollars back per year, and all the extra protections that come with using a card. Plus my cash can stay in the bank earning interest for another month until the statement balance is due plus I donít have to carry wads of cash around.
Thank You!

Cash cannot be replaced if lost or stolen, and there are just so many benefits to using a card these days. Well that is if you have decent to excellent credit and get the best or even mediocre offers. For those who are busted with bad credit, then yes, they likely are better off using cash.

Only people one sees using cash are the busted, elderly and some others. Line at supermarket, Rite Aid, or whatever can be long as eff, and they roll up to cashier with "how much was that?". Then proceed to reach for some old wallet or change purse and begin peeling off bills. Then you get "wait I have a quarter, penny" or whatever change as if this were the 1960's or something.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top