Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-18-2019, 02:21 PM

3,672 posts, read 2,750,269 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BugsyPal View Post
Thank You!

Cash cannot be replaced if lost or stolen, and there are just so many benefits to using a card these days. Well that is if you have decent to excellent credit and get the best or even mediocre offers. For those who are busted with bad credit, then yes, they likely are better off using cash.

Only people one sees using cash are the busted, elderly and some others. Line at supermarket, Rite Aid, or whatever can be long as eff, and they roll up to cashier with "how much was that?". Then proceed to reach for some old wallet or change purse and begin peeling off bills. Then you get "wait I have a quarter, penny" or whatever change as if this were the 1960's or something.
The best are the old ladies that bust out a check book! What is this, 1975!?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-18-2019, 05:58 PM

11,635 posts, read 12,698,340 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhyRUMad View Post
If you ever go to a farmers market, there are paper coupons for low income seniors to use. It's only for NYS farmers markets. Takes forever.

Old 09-19-2019, 07:51 AM

19,061 posts, read 12,714,563 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhyRUMad View Post
I rarely see that anymore, and last time I did it was always in a walmart in the countryside somewhere

Old 09-19-2019, 07:57 AM

2,438 posts, read 1,216,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kefir King View Post
"Irregardless" is not a word.

It's a totally cromulent word.

Old 09-19-2019, 07:59 AM

19,061 posts, read 12,714,563 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by under a mountain View Post
It's a totally cromulent word.
lol no, it shows a person's ignorance who is confused between irrespective and regardless

Old 09-19-2019, 11:25 AM

1,486 posts, read 988,531 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BugsyPal View Post
Thank You!

Cash cannot be replaced if lost or stolen, and there are just so many benefits to using a card these days. Well that is if you have decent to excellent credit and get the best or even mediocre offers. For those who are busted with bad credit, then yes, they likely are better off using cash.

Only people one sees using cash are the busted, elderly and some others. Line at supermarket, Rite Aid, or whatever can be long as eff, and they roll up to cashier with "how much was that?". Then proceed to reach for some old wallet or change purse and begin peeling off bills. Then you get "wait I have a quarter, penny" or whatever change as if this were the 1960's or something.
old folks be scheming.
If they decide to pay when boarding the bus, they stay doing this. They will just reach in their purse grab a hand full of change and toss sit in the fare box knowing they did not pay the complete fare then demand a transfer from the driver

Old 09-19-2019, 02:39 PM

31,902 posts, read 26,954,113 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoullessOne View Post
old folks be scheming.
If they decide to pay when boarding the bus, they stay doing this. They will just reach in their purse grab a hand full of change and toss sit in the fare box knowing they did not pay the complete fare then demand a transfer from the driver
Yeabut fare box does count that change and or otherwise always indicates if full fare isn't paid. Drivers aren't supposed to issue a transfer if full fare wasn't paid, but these days who knows. They already flag everyone and their mother on who has some sad tale of woe and misery.

That being said yes, there are some seniors or elderly who are crafty as ****. Always scheming and conniving to save money; meanwhile they are loaded between savings, pension, SSA, and living in low rent housing. Not to mention taking advantage of every single "seniors discount" they can lay hands upon.

Old 09-19-2019, 03:26 PM

43,642 posts, read 44,368,561 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Henna View Post
I was at Bergn recently and got a salad at Landhaus. They have you pay on a credit card with one of these ipad payment things that they swivel towards you so you can sign. I was surprised and taken aback when I saw that there was an 18% tip already selected -- so if I hadn't been paying attention and just signed my name (the only thing required after your card is swiped), I would have ended up tipping someone just to hand me a salad.

I had to bring my salad to the table, bring the utensils, etc. and afterward clean up by bussing my own table.

I understand that some people think it's cool to tip just for counter service, but my main objection was that an 18% tip was already pre-selected and they thought I would just sign away my money to them without questioning the tip and also the amount of the tip.

Thoughts?
This is not a new thing. I don't know why someone should be giving a tip for counter service at all.

Old 09-19-2019, 03:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chava61 View Post
This is not a new thing. I don't know why someone should be giving a tip for counter service at all.
Before CC payments began to dominate many delis and other places (including a good number of Starbucks) had those "tip jars" on counters.

Guess as world has moved towards cashless places are stepping up their game....

Old 09-19-2019, 03:39 PM

TIPS for counter service make almost as much sense to me as those guys/girls who set up shop in the restroom of a club wanting a tip because they handed me a paper towel. That or try to get you to use/buy some of their busted offerings (mouthwash, gum, breath mints, etc....).

Can see the latter *maybe*, but for the rest of it since I did all the work myself, what exactly am I supposed to be giving someone a tip for? Handing me a paper towel? Well if you didn't hide or otherwise commandeer the supply, and thus forcing me to ask there wouldn't be a need now where there?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City