U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-17-2019, 05:46 PM

5,353 posts, read 2,062,844 times

Advertisements

Just reporting on some of my experiences, because many people on this forum were so kind to offer suggestions:

* Ate at Waverly Diner twice (thanks to whomever suggested the specials) - I enjoyed both times.

* Joe's Pizza in The Village is over-rated, from my perspective. Don't get the hype.

* Tootsie was horrible - I don't get why it got any good reviews. Left at intermission.
On that note, what are all of the hoards of people doing in Time's Square? I don't get it. They are just walking around, bumping into each other!

* The Village is the absolute best. Got my 10,000+ steps in every day!

* Chelsea Market is fun one time - or once a year - once you've seen it . . . (logged 5,000+ miles there - I have no idea how)

* I signed up for "Rent-A-Friend," and met a fun person. Had lunch in Little Italy, and then she invited me to watch the debates with her friends, uptown! What great connections.

* Went on the Soho, Chinatown, Little Italy walking tour - the tour guide was "okay" - and I did learn some things (like: the food trucks are safe to eat at - they are inspected - and the cast iron facades in Soho were to cheaply upgrade the slums (for the sweat shop trade - not really sure I understand this), that the Mafia families are still a presence in NYC, and that there are still sweat shops operating somewhere in NYC, that "Manhattan"" was an Indian (Native American, First People, whatever) name that meant hill - and that uptown is the top of the hill and downtown is downhill. He said uptown is cooler, due to it being uphill, but that is opposite of my experience with elevation and weather . . . he said some other stuff I will comment on later, if I remember. It is great that there are FREE TOURS (tipped him $40.)

* The people are so friendly and helpful - nothing like where I come from, where everyone is nervous or pissed off

* I loved being able to walk everywhere - entertainment everywhere.

* Sad that mom-and-pops are being run out, due to high rents.

* Love the Chinese Massage places on 8th St. Had two massages $55 ($35 plus, $20 tip)

* The Skylark is the best thing ever (drinks and hor deurves at sunset - Heaven!!!!)

That's all I can think of right now. To anyone who helped me: Thank you!

Last edited by nobodysbusiness; 09-17-2019 at 07:16 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-17-2019, 06:04 PM

9,700 posts, read 9,462,497 times
Nice narrative, thanks. And, yes, we are helpful, if you ask us right.

I'd be curious to hear more about the Skylark and the Rent-a-Friend.

Old 09-17-2019, 07:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cida View Post
Nice narrative, thanks. And, yes, we are helpful, if you ask us right.

I'd be curious to hear more about the Skylark and the Rent-a-Friend.
My friend my the reservations for the Skylark, so this is second hand: Supposedly, you can only make reservations a week in advance.

It's all very clandestine - a nondescript building - people take you from one level to the next . . . lots of stairs. It's a REALLY cool vibe and the views are amazing. Music (DJ), some people dancing, lots taking pics - eating and drinking . . . it was a full moon, so extra special. I was definitely the oldest person there.

It was fun.

Rent-a-Friend is online and is very interesting. You can use it (or offer services) in your city, or cities across the U.S. (not sure about world). I met a great person - paid her $10 per hour and bought her lunch - payment is negotiable, I think.

If you need someone for lunch, dinner, the theatre, walking tours, reunions, it's a great way to meet people. You can see their picture and communicate with them first. Not sure about vetting. I have good instincts about people (I think!), so I wasn't worried at all.

Old Yesterday, 10:28 AM

282 posts, read 70,985 times
I want whatever that tour guide was smoking.

Old Yesterday, 11:15 AM

377 posts, read 130,062 times
If you went with her to watch the debates, would that be on the house?

Old Yesterday, 03:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by under a mountain View Post
If you went with her to watch the debates, would that be on the house?
Yes, that was "on the house," and she let me know that in the invitation. It was such a great connection.

Glad I followed through with it, because you never know who you will hit it off with (or not).

Old Yesterday, 05:05 PM

820 posts, read 446,430 times
What hotel did you stay at NobodysB? The last time I was there, I stayed at The Newton in the UWS and the mattress was rock hard. Ridiculous. Boutique hotel with old world European vibe but a man was giggling and singing the entire time until 2-3 am in the room next door heard through thin walls. His mj smoke filled my room until the wee hours which I could have handled sans the loud giggling. I'm looking for a new place to stay. NYC is my go-to place for getaway jaunts! I love it too!

PS...Rent-A-Friend...That thought passed fleetingly through my brain once as a business idea and now here it is. Someone else did it. A good idea! I think this could somehow work for dinner parties if it does not already exist. It probably does. Tourists and visitors show up at someone's house with local hosts and have drinks, dinner, etc. It could be more fun and meaningful than an isolated, lonely restaurant experience especially when visiting a new city.

Last edited by Chloe333; Yesterday at 05:59 PM..

Old Yesterday, 05:55 PM

2,768 posts, read 2,090,795 times
Glad you like the city.

Old Yesterday, 07:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chloe333 View Post
What hotel did you stay at NobodysB? The last time I was there, I stayed at The Newton in the UWS and the mattress was rock hard. Ridiculous. Boutique hotel with old world European vibe but a man was giggling and singing the entire time until 2-3 am in the room next door heard through thin walls. His mj smoke filled my room until the wee hours which I could have handled sans the loud giggling. I'm looking for a new place to stay. NYC is my go-to place for getaway jaunts! I love it too!

PS...Rent-A-Friend...That thought passed fleetingly through my brain once as a business idea and now here it is. Someone else did it. A good idea! I think this could somehow work for dinner parties if it does not already exist. It probably does. Tourists and visitors show up at someone's house with local hosts and have drinks, dinner, etc. It could be more fun and meaningful than an isolated, lonely restaurant experience especially when visiting a new city.
Send me a PM and I'll tell you the hotel I like.

Old Yesterday, 07:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nybklyn View Post
Glad you like the city.
I don't just like it - I LOVE it . . . very depressed to be back home (and I live in a "great" place).

Looking at a Pied a Terre possibility - that may be going too far - maybe I should just rent for awhile. Not sure.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or