U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-18-2019, 02:17 PM

151 posts, read 106,288 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Retired View Post
Opinion:

I would be careful about asking that question.
It all come down to what is defined as disability..............

I knew of a New York Handout recipient who walked with a cane ,hobbling and moaning with every step while while assisted by his aid during the day but come nightfall was magically cured as he could be seen scurrying out the door into a waiting cab.
If I were to guess there was money to be made selling some of his pain meds for quick cash. As with all types like this, the system finally caught up with him and he is now a pathetic heart beat warehoused away in some two star nursing home grovelling about how he got the shot end of the stick in life.............Oh brother! Some folks will never get it...
grandpa, tell us about the time you saw a welfare recipient ordering a lobster dinner at the The Ground Round.

Quick reply to this message

Old 09-18-2019, 02:37 PM

8,479 posts, read 6,467,574 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreamernyc View Post
SCRIE has been around since 1970.

There's also DRIE for people with disabilities. Want to comment on that too?
Yes, and now he's trying to get every last person signed up. DRIE is just as bad and just as big of a problem in the welfare state. We should not subsidize people in New York City, there are plenty of smaller cities in the country with cheap housing for people who cannot earn enough income to maintain the luxury of living in the capital of the world.

Quote:
Originally Posted by macnyc2003 View Post
In order to qualify, you must be over age 65, have a household income
No, the threshold is 62 years old:
https://www1.nyc.gov/site/rentfreeze...fications.page

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluedog2 View Post
I have no problem with my tax money taking care of senior citizens so they don't get thrown out onto the street when they retire and are living off of Social Security only. That's the profile of the overwhelming majority of SCRIE recipients
Rent stabilization is already a forced subsidy (at landlord expense). This is a (public) subsidy on top of a (private) subsidy. Why should seniors be subsidized for their housing? Why can't they move to Florida like everyone else?

Quote:
Originally Posted by BugsyPal View Post
Have not heard of Sam The Eagle "expanding" SCRIE, in any event he cannot without city council and Albany. The scheme is what it is and only changes came about several years ago when income limit was raised from $29k per year to $50k.
The change is De Blasio's new "Mayor's Office to Protect Tenants" (MOPT)
https://ny.curbed.com/2019/1/10/1817...orst-landlords

and with it another 6 figure salary job to lead it, Jackie Bray:
https://www1.nyc.gov/office-of-the-m...rotect-tenants

He is having Bray go around to push a big campaign to get every last eligible senior to get the rent freeze subsidy

Old 09-18-2019, 02:43 PM

8,528 posts, read 20,565,891 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlakeJones View Post
Yes, and now he's trying to get every last person signed up. DRIE is just as bad and just as big of a problem in the welfare state. We should not subsidize people in New York City, there are plenty of smaller cities in the country with cheap housing for people who cannot earn enough income to maintain the luxury of living in the capital of the world.

Rent stabilization is already a forced subsidy (at landlord expense). This is a (public) subsidy on top of a (private) subsidy. Why should seniors be subsidized for their housing? Why can't they move to Florida like everyone else?

The change is De Blasio's new "Mayor's Office to Protect Tenants" (MOPT)
https://ny.curbed.com/2019/1/10/1817...orst-landlords

and with it another 6 figure salary job to lead it, Jackie Bray:
https://www1.nyc.gov/office-of-the-m...rotect-tenants

He is having Bray go around to push a big campaign to get every last eligible senior to get the rent freeze subsidy
What the hell is wrong with getting every eligible senior to get SCRIE ? That's what it is there for. Lots of them are eligible and don't even know it exists.

Hate to tell you but you are the one that doesn't "belong" here and you know it because it is making you so miserable.

Last edited by bluedog2; 09-18-2019 at 02:55 PM..

Old 09-18-2019, 02:47 PM

8,479 posts, read 6,467,574 times
Quote:
What the hell is wrong with getting every eligible senior to get SCRIE ? That's what it is there for.Lots of them are eligible and don't even know it exists.
Because the program shouldn't exist in the first place. This is part of the problem tying up the housing supply and making it more expensive for everyone else. NOBODY should be subsidized in a city like New York, NOBODY has a God given right to live in an expensive city like NYC. I don't care how old you are, if you can't afford it here then you should have to move

Old 09-18-2019, 02:48 PM

20,260 posts, read 35,247,414 times
Quote:
Because the program shouldn't exist in the first place. This is part of the problem tying up the housing supply and making it more expensive for everyone else. NOBODY should be subsidized in a city like New York, NOBODY has a God given right to live in an expensive city like NYC. I don't care how old you are, if you can't afford it here then you should have to move
Just be reminded that deBlasio didn't start it

And it sounds like another one of those "I can't afford my lifestyle so let me find something or somebody to blame" rants

Just quit while ur ahead

Or go run for office

By the way, do you own? If so, are you giving back your STAR rebate?

Forum TOS: http://www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 09-18-2019, 02:53 PM

Quote:
My guess is that the overwhelming majority of NY'ers are ok with SCRIE. Therefore, there is no reason why it shouldn't exist here. Those who are unhappy with it are free to leave and move someplace where it doesn't exist.

Old 09-18-2019, 02:54 PM

Quote:
My guess is that the overwhelming majority of NY'ers are ok with SCRIE. Therefore, there is no reason why it shouldn't exist here. Those who are unhappy with it are free to leave and move someplace where it doesn't exist.
Somebody's mad they can't afford $15 margaritas after work

Old 09-18-2019, 02:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeventhFloor View Post
Just be reminded that deBlasio didn't start it

And it sounds like another one of those "I can't afford my lifestyle so let me find something or somebody to blame" rants

Just quit while ur ahead

Or go run for office

By the way, do you own? If so, are you giving back your STAR rebate?
Lol, I'd love to see someone run for mayor on an abolish SCRIE platform.
I wonder how many votes they would get.

Old 09-18-2019, 02:59 PM

Quote:
Lol, I'd love to see someone run for mayor on an abolish SCRIE platform.

Old 09-18-2019, 03:19 PM

10,725 posts, read 8,713,047 times
I'd like to see their social security and defined benefit accounts first. Just want to make sure this isn't just another tax on the working poor to fund the upper middle class dwellers of Manhattan.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or