U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-19-2019, 08:20 AM

13,401 posts, read 9,080,564 times

Advertisements

I've cut the cord 8 years ago, but lately I'm seeing that cable packages is actually better value now most of them included Netflix along with other streaming packages. For example I get offered $79 a month includes HBO and Netflix. Along with ESPN and all other channels.

If you were to do price this out yourself without cable package it could cost you over $100 to add these content from other streaming sites. Hulu is offering many of these streaming channels but they are doing a cable style a la carte which jacks up your monthly to $50/month on top of your normal cable internet price can easily bring it up to $100+, where a cable triple play package is now below $99.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-19-2019, 08:45 AM

8,479 posts, read 6,475,039 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bxlover View Post
Too expensive imo. I know many people have done some creative things to eliminate cable costs. What have some of you done ? I have heard of the " Fire Box ". What tips you got...
wait, you mean you still have cable TV? woah, *mind explodes*

Old 09-19-2019, 09:07 AM

8,342 posts, read 3,695,809 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeventhFloor View Post
I'm never getting rid of my cable. I'm paying for the convenience to not have 50 separate places to sign in to watch stuff. It's convenient for my family too. Just as there are channels I never watch, there are websites I never go to as well. I pay about $220 a month for Fios triple play and I have every channel, 75/75.
That's about what I was paying and it keeps going up. Much of the content is not new, and quite frankly, I am out most of the time, so it didn't make sense for me to waste money on something that I don't watch much anyway. There are quite a few shows that I DVR, and some weeks I don't get to watch it because I am too busy with other things. The other annoying thing is the prices keep going up and then you have to hear about contract disputes and channels being blacked out. Too much aggravation. I like that I can watch things anywhere too, and catch up on a variety of shows.

Old 09-19-2019, 09:12 AM

533 posts, read 421,705 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vision33r View Post
I've cut the cord 8 years ago, but lately I'm seeing that cable packages is actually better value now most of them included Netflix along with other streaming packages. For example I get offered $79 a month includes HBO and Netflix. Along with ESPN and all other channels.

If you were to do price this out yourself without cable package it could cost you over $100 to add these content from other streaming sites. Hulu is offering many of these streaming channels but they are doing a cable style a la carte which jacks up your monthly to $50/month on top of your normal cable internet price can easily bring it up to $100+, where a cable triple play package is now below $99.

yea its not as clear cut. and cable is convenient. also if you watch sports it's very difficult if not impossible without cable. internet also tends to get bundled cheaper with cable, so if you ditch cable then the internet may go up.

Old 09-19-2019, 09:14 AM

8,342 posts, read 3,695,809 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eddiep83 View Post
yea its not as clear cut. and cable is convenient. also if you watch sports it's very difficult if not impossible without cable.
Really depends on which sports you are watching. There are definitely sports packages out there.

Old 09-19-2019, 09:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vision33r View Post

Don't forget as soon as you pay for TV you get taxed, not just nickel & dime taxes on top of sales taxes, but also bunch of random fcc fees and BS fees from every government agency. And that's on top of the hidden converter box, activation, and install fees.

Internet is not taxable:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Internet_Tax_Freedom_Act

So just stick to internet only and get your video and phone through that

Old 09-19-2019, 11:19 AM

700 posts, read 247,487 times
LMAO!!

Having cable is like having an AOL account....meaning you can tell their age just by the services they have.

The same way folks found out back in the day how to get free music via Kazza, Napster or LimeWire is the same way they figured out to get free TV today by using Bittorrent + VPN + Plex.

All commercial free in 1080p and 5.1 sound when you want it.

Old 09-19-2019, 12:04 PM

70 posts, read 43,639 times
For the last 2 years I pay $43 a month for 200/200 FIOS , I have firesticks for Free movie/TV show apps
a Polycom box ($40 for box) for free phone home service minus 911 service ($2 a month if you need it.)
Sprint gives me free HULU w/ads
Friend shares Netflix password with me
but but the real kicker was illegal cable via the internet $10 a month for every channel you can think of.
but but the software company that was hosting these services got raided so got my fingers crossed, its still working as Im typing this

(if you have FIOS and want to downgrade there is a HACK to do so go to slickdeals.net and search "FIOS")

Old 09-19-2019, 03:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by prgordo View Post
For the last 2 years I pay $43 a month for 200/200 FIOS , I have firesticks for Free movie/TV show apps
a Polycom box ($40 for box) for free phone home service minus 911 service ($2 a month if you need it.)
Sprint gives me free HULU w/ads
Friend shares Netflix password with me
but but the real kicker was illegal cable via the internet $10 a month for every channel you can think of.
but but the software company that was hosting these services got raided so got my fingers crossed, its still working as Im typing this

(if you have FIOS and want to downgrade there is a HACK to do so go to slickdeals.net and search "FIOS")
how much are ALL the taxes & fees on top of $43, total?

Old 09-19-2019, 08:05 PM

70 posts, read 43,639 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlakeJones View Post
how much are ALL the taxes & fees on top of $43, total?
Sorry $43 is taxes and fees but I what forgot to add and I apologize is that its actually $53 but you got $10 off for autopay and I use my own Router ( $50 linksys refurb Amazon) so no need to pay equip charges

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or