U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-22-2019, 12:50 PM

3,709 posts, read 1,448,866 times

Advertisements

I got a solicitation in the mail from Altice Optimum advertising internet and channels for 65 for life. We called and to add premium channels like HBO for 120.00 with internet. Plus there are other options. I have called Fios my current provider and they refuse to lower their prices to match what I have been offered. If I save 100 a month for a service I enjoy that like a 1200 a year raise or a 1200 a year less in mortgage costs. I opt for the savings.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-22-2019, 12:59 PM

535 posts, read 423,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tencent View Post
When I started making close to $100k I had to drop Virgin Mobile. There's definitely a difference. I was also starting a side business at the time and needed a more reliable service. T-Mobile runs me about $100 a month but that's with the latest Samsung Galaxy. Without it it would probably be about 75. Virgin Mobile ran me about 50 a month when I terminated it.

Any service that's only $20 a month is going to have low coverage, a lot of dropped calls and network outages

havent experienced any of that in 2 years. Funny thing is, went upstate with some people who had Verizon & AT&T and they had no service but i did. guess it depends where you live.

but certainly I think cell phone bills are a much more convenient way to save, most people barely use the phones for phone calls anyway

Old 09-22-2019, 01:20 PM

851 posts, read 273,999 times
We switched every 2 years between the 2 providers. My kids have streaming services and you need a PhD in computer systems to operate) No thanks.

Old 09-22-2019, 05:33 PM

3,709 posts, read 1,448,866 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kefir King View Post
WONDERFUL post...alas, I got nuthuin' I pay the full tariff and feel abused every month.

Having lost my husband and best friend, I have no choice but media to make believe I am still alive.
Sorry for your loss. I hope I pass before my wife because personally life would be hard for me going forward with out her. Recently my wife looked at the cable bill and felt she is being ripped off. So since NYC has many tech smart people and the City is soooo expensive I sought to get some insight. We going to go with Atlice Optimum or keep our internet and cancel the cable and buy a Fire Box. Will try one last time to see if Fios will cut out half of the cost of our bill or lose us completely so far they won't budge. Bad business model.

Old 09-23-2019, 06:47 AM

5,381 posts, read 5,318,876 times
Quote:
When I started making close to $100k I had to drop Virgin Mobile. There's definitely a difference. I was also starting a side business at the time and needed a more reliable service. T-Mobile runs me about $100 a month but that's with the latest Samsung Galaxy. Without it it would probably be about 75. Virgin Mobile ran me about 50 a month when I terminated it.

Any service that's only $20 a month is going to have low coverage, a lot of dropped calls and network outages
Some cheaper companies run on networks like Verizon. Easy to find out as well.

My husband had AT&T and it sucked in the city. He didn't get service at work.

Old 09-23-2019, 06:56 AM

2,331 posts, read 704,504 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by city living View Post
Some cheaper companies run on networks like Verizon. Easy to find out as well.

My husband had AT&T and it sucked in the city. He didn't get service at work.
AT&T is infamous for not working in Manhattan and it is cheap.

Also what people don't realize is just because the cheaper networks run on the same cell towers you are not getting the same quality as the devices on the 1st tier network. I have a lot of conference calls for work, my work phone is AT&T and the only reason it works is because it's a business line which gets top tier signal compared to consumer.

Old 09-23-2019, 10:02 AM

8,377 posts, read 3,720,585 times
Quote:

Also what people don't realize is just because the cheaper networks run on the same cell towers you are not getting the same quality as the devices on the 1st tier network. I have a lot of conference calls for work, my work phone is AT&T and the only reason it works is because it's a business line which gets top tier signal compared to consumer.
I've used just about all of them. When I moved back from Europe, I went with T-Mobile. They are big in Germany, and being so young at the time (this was when cell phones were still not so prevalent), I figured, they would be fine here. Well I used them for a while, but got tired of the poor coverage. It was then down to AT&T or Verizon. The only reason I went with AT&T was because at that time they had more options for phones, so I had them for my laptop and my cell phone. Problem was they were always reporting towers being down, so I ditched them almost 10 years ago and have been with Verizon ever since. I've heard horror stories about Sprint, so I wouldn't even dare switch to them.

Old 09-23-2019, 11:35 AM

750 posts, read 259,655 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bxlover View Post
I got a solicitation in the mail from Altice Optimum advertising internet and channels for 65 for life. We called and to add premium channels like HBO for 120.00 with internet. Plus there are other options. I have called Fios my current provider and they refuse to lower their prices to match what I have been offered. If I save 100 a month for a service I enjoy that like a 1200 a year raise or a 1200 a year less in mortgage costs. I opt for the savings.
Be careful about Altice they are basically Optimum under new management. When I dropped Optimum because they kept increasing the bill with no service change while giving new customers lower rates with better speeds Altice came begging (at the time I didn't know it was the same company). I had a issue where when my download speed reached a certain point for a sustained length of time the modem would automatically reboot. Since I used my own router and constantly looked at the logs I can see when the WAN drops. Did my research and went into the modem, looked at the logs and saw it reboot due to it couldn't handle the speed I was pulling things from the internet. googled and found out it was a issue that can be resolved by them replacing my old modem with the new DOCIS 3 ones. Multiple calls and multiple techs came out and didn't want to replace the modem. I just went FIOS never looked back.

Before you take the plunge take a look at the complaints on DSL reports about Altice One.

Quote:

This is true. Also another thing people don't realize if the towers are not installed high enough they wont cover the device. I worked in a building midtown where if you went above the 50th floor all T-Mobile phones would stop working because their towers didn't reach that far. From what I was told, Verizon blocked them from installing towers higher up to cover the upper floors. But surely enough Verizon phones worked above the 50th floor.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pierrepont7731 View Post
I've used just about all of them. When I moved back from Europe, I went with T-Mobile. They are big in Germany, and being so young at the time (this was when cell phones were still not so prevalent), I figured, they would be fine here. Well I used them for a while, but got tired of the poor coverage. It was then down to AT&T or Verizon. The only reason I went with AT&T was because at that time they had more options for phones, so I had them for my laptop and my cell phone. Problem was they were always reporting towers being down, so I ditched them almost 10 years ago and have been with Verizon ever since. I've heard horror stories about Sprint, so I wouldn't even dare switch to them.
Sprints horror stories are real. Ive been there. Back in the day when it was easy and very stupid to add a friends to your line and trust them to pay their bill. Let 1 person on the account didn't pay their bill on time, Sprint would cut all the lines until paid in full. Loved the push to talk feature they took from boost though.

Old Yesterday, 09:08 AM

21,818 posts, read 28,910,447 times
Cheapies:

My sister pays $14.99/month for 2 free phones and service. Talking with her is like having a poker stuck into my ear.

Old Yesterday, 09:29 AM

287 posts, read 78,569 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RICANRICAN View Post
All these streaming services are starting to add up in cost!! also no one really cuts the cord you still need cable for your internet!
Internet for $40/mo seems fair.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or