Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-21-2019, 05:07 AM

43,663 posts, read 44,393,687 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RICANRICAN View Post
All these streaming services are starting to add up in cost!! also no one really cuts the cord you still need cable for your internet!
One can have internet only via cable without subscribing to cable TV (which is what I have). Also one can see plenty of movies via free apps if one has a smart TV as long as one is willing to view a few ads during the viewing. (So again no need to subscribe to all those streaming services either.)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-21-2019, 06:17 AM

555 posts, read 617,324 times
at the end of the day the savings isn't that great for most people, and it turns into an inconvenience. we are not quite there where it makes sense for the masses to cut cable. and if you watch sports then it's even more difficult.

Old 09-21-2019, 07:54 AM

12,789 posts, read 8,293,232 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eddiep83 View Post
at the end of the day the savings isn't that great for most people, and it turns into an inconvenience. we are not quite there where it makes sense for the masses to cut cable. and if you watch sports then it's even more difficult.
It is not more difficult. You are just concerned about convenience. I watch all of my sports just the same. Some on TV, and some via streaming. If you are a couch potato, or must insist on watching it at home, then yes, you need cable, otherwise, it's totally doable. The fact of the matter is, the younger population is cord cutting and moving along with technology. As a millennial, I was streaming years ago using FiOs mainly out of curiosity and also streaming because I liked to watch things on the go. Streaming options have VASTLY improved. With 5G now out, we will be seeing even more improvements.

Old 09-21-2019, 08:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pierrepont7731 View Post
It is not more difficult. You are just concerned about convenience. I watch all of my sports just the same. Some on TV, and some via streaming. If you are a couch potato, or must insist on watching it at home, then yes, you need cable, otherwise, it's totally doable. The fact of the matter is, the younger population is cord cutting and moving along with technology. As a millennial, I was streaming years ago using FiOs mainly out of curiosity and also streaming because I liked to watch things on the go. Streaming options have VASTLY improved. With 5G now out, we will be seeing even more improvements.

of course, less convenient = difficult.

If we're talking saving $50-100 a month it's one thing, but for $15 a month? not worth it to alot of people unless they are on a very strict budget.

If people really want to save, cell phones is where they should start. Can't tell you how many people still pay $50-100 per month for cell phones when there are services like mint mobile out there for $15 a month that are just as reliable and they won't ever notice the difference.

streaming 4-5 services and having to DL everything and having to stream sports on a PC though, you will absolutely notice a QOL difference there.

Old 09-21-2019, 10:39 AM

1,486 posts, read 989,335 times
Quote:
of course, less convenient = difficult.

If we're talking saving $50-100 a month it's one thing, but for $15 a month? not worth it to alot of people unless they are on a very strict budget.

If people really want to save, cell phones is where they should start. Can't tell you how many people still pay $50-100 per month for cell phones when there are services like mint mobile out there for $15 a month that are just as reliable and they won't ever notice the difference.

streaming 4-5 services and having to DL everything and having to stream sports on a PC though, you will absolutely notice a QOL difference there.
If your main QOL concern is watching sports live then you will forever be tethered to paying for TV. Some people are just stuck in their old way and don't want to change for the better because they think its an inconvenience. Similar to my mom who goes to get a money order to pay her rent, or physically goes into a store to pay her cellphone bill even though I constantly tell her about ACH online payments or even better autopay. all of which saves the most important thing one can never get back once its spent, time. If someone want to sit there and watch a whole game of live sports rather than just looking at the score on their phone while they do something else or just look at the highlight reel the day after then it will be a cost to them in both time and money.

As for cutting the cellphone, most folks have family plans where they have the entire family on it and just pool the data. It comes out cheaper and have exceptional service unlike the smaller companies out there that can go under, only local to certain areas where once you leave the state there are no stores incase there is an issue and need a replacement, or brought out at any moment.

The best way to cover the cellphone cost is to get the company you work for to pay the bill for you by claiming it as your work phone .

Old 09-21-2019, 10:45 AM

25,368 posts, read 37,078,660 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bxlover View Post
Too expensive imo. I know many people have done some creative things to eliminate cable costs. What have some of you done ? I have heard of the " Fire Box ". What tips you got...

WONDERFUL post...alas, I got nuthuin' I pay the full tariff and feel abused every month.

Having lost my husband and best friend, I have no choice but media to make believe I am still alive.

Old 09-21-2019, 11:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoullessOne View Post
If your main QOL concern is watching sports live then you will forever be tethered to paying for TV. Some people are just stuck in their old way and don't want to change for the better because they think its an inconvenience. Similar to my mom who goes to get a money order to pay her rent, or physically goes into a store to pay her cellphone bill even though I constantly tell her about ACH online payments or even better autopay. all of which saves the most important thing one can never get back once its spent, time. If someone want to sit there and watch a whole game of live sports rather than just looking at the score on their phone while they do something else or just look at the highlight reel the day after then it will be a cost to them in both time and money.

As for cutting the cellphone, most folks have family plans where they have the entire family on it and just pool the data. It comes out cheaper and have exceptional service unlike the smaller companies out there that can go under, only local to certain areas where once you leave the state there are no stores incase there is an issue and need a replacement, or brought out at any moment.

The best way to cover the cellphone cost is to get the company you work for to pay the bill for you by claiming it as your work phone .

w/e works for you, you're taking this way too personally. I've never heard of a family plan that comes out to less than $15 per month but I could be wrong.

Old 09-22-2019, 06:24 AM

7,759 posts, read 3,885,749 times
In many areas you don't have a Choice. Spectrum keeps Cable alive because unbundling from Internet service doesn't save any money. Verizon lost the FIOS battle who knows if they'll ever get past 20% penetration at best in NYC.

Old 09-22-2019, 06:29 AM

7,759 posts, read 3,885,749 times
Quote:
When I started making close to $100k I had to drop Virgin Mobile. There's definitely a difference. I was also starting a side business at the time and needed a more reliable service. T-Mobile runs me about $100 a month but that's with the latest Samsung Galaxy. Without it it would probably be about 75. Virgin Mobile ran me about 50 a month when I terminated it.

Any service that's only $20 a month is going to have low coverage, a lot of dropped calls and network outages

Old 09-22-2019, 11:19 AM

1,486 posts, read 989,335 times
Quote:
w/e works for you, you're taking this way too personally. I've never heard of a family plan that comes out to less than $15 per month but I could be wrong.
Not personal at all. The way top decrease the bill is family plan + employer discount + not upgrading every 2 years. Many employers give at least a 17% discount which basically takes care of all the fees and taxes they add to the line.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tencent View Post
When I started making close to $100k I had to drop Virgin Mobile. There's definitely a difference. I was also starting a side business at the time and needed a more reliable service. T-Mobile runs me about $100 a month but that's with the latest Samsung Galaxy. Without it it would probably be about 75. Virgin Mobile ran me about 50 a month when I terminated it.

Any service that's only $20 a month is going to have low coverage, a lot of dropped calls and network outages
that's a point I was trying to make when it comes to cell service. I was also with Virgin mobile a while back and was roped into it because they said they ran on Verizon towers. Little to say the service was terrible. On a subway platform i would have friends on Verizon with full bars and ill have none.

I have friends now on Metro PCS and Cricket thinking they are saving money monthly but with so many dropped calls and being locked to major cities it only works if they never plan to leave the city. A simple drive to Atlantic City or drive out to PA and they loose all service in between the cities.

Tmobile is a little better and have good deals to pull customers in. Tmobile Tuesdays and Netflix on us are good incentives.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: