U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-18-2019, 09:03 PM

3,666 posts, read 1,437,118 times

Advertisements

Too expensive imo. I know many people have done some creative things to eliminate cable costs. What have some of you done ? I have heard of the " Fire Box ". What tips you got...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-18-2019, 09:36 PM

1,205 posts, read 1,177,643 times
I cancelled my own cable service. I kept my internet, because I need it for work, and also it's 2019 lol. I used to have an Apple TV, then I had a FireStick, then I switched to Roku. That one is my favorite of all of the streaming devices I've tried so far.

I mooch a friend's Netflix account. I pay for Hulu, which is how I watch all of my network TV (everything but CBS shows, I no longer watch those - they want you to subscribe to their streaming service and my answer is a big fat nope). I also have Prime, but don't include that in my entertainment costs, because I am going to have Prime regardless. And the kicker (which is kind of cheating and the only way I'm able to make this work lol)....I use my mom's log in for everything else (HBO, Showtime, HGTV, Food Network, MTV). I manage her account for her and claim this as my fee

It took me about 2 years to figure out how to replace my cable with streaming options, but still be able to maintain most of what I like to watch. It's much more prevalent now, so probably easier. But the main point is to figure out what channels you NEED and then how you'll replace them.

My bill was about $130 for 1 DVR box, 1 premium channel and internet. Now I pay $60 for internet and $5.99 for Hulu. I returned my cable box almost 2 years ago and have no intention of going back.

Old 09-18-2019, 09:44 PM

1,956 posts, read 1,337,079 times
We dumped cable and bought digital rabbit ears for $12. You get all the local channels in HD for free, including some fun ones.

We only have internet access. Then we have Amazon Prime and Netflix.

Old 09-18-2019, 10:13 PM

461 posts, read 121,533 times
https://help.philo.com/hc/en-us/arti...hoCak8QAvD_BwE

Hulu

Netflix

Old 09-18-2019, 10:22 PM

636 posts, read 602,529 times
Cable is old school, its like going to a travel agents office to book a trip.

Split netflix with a friend, hulu free from sprint, prime through amazon and free local channels, youtube is free.

Only thing you should be paying for nowadays is the actual internet connection.

Old 09-19-2019, 07:13 AM

8,340 posts, read 3,689,198 times
I have Hulu Live version and use Sling as well for NHL Network. Basically cut the costs down buy more than half. About $100 a month now or less. I need the sports package too, so I have a separate subscription for the NHL.

Old 09-19-2019, 07:18 AM

36 posts, read 18,113 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NycLaidBack View Post
Cable is old school, its like going to a travel agents office to book a trip.

Split netflix with a friend, hulu free from sprint, prime through amazon and free local channels, youtube is free.

Only thing you should be paying for nowadays is the actual internet connection.
The truth

Old 09-19-2019, 07:21 AM

5,363 posts, read 5,303,247 times
I have Hulu. I have Amazon Prime as well, so I download things to watch offline on that while commuting. I ditched Netflix, as their offerings have really waned.

My family uses my accounts for the above. I use their cable account to watch things occasionally. If they move, I will get Sling for the YES Network to watch the Yankees when it's baseball season. I can always reactivate that when I want.

Old 09-19-2019, 07:25 AM

2,778 posts, read 2,098,038 times
Only get internet access at home. No television, dvd, dvr, or whatever you guys want to call it. Nowadays, we have way too much information out there than we can comprehend. Little bit of entertainment can always be done by having an account with Netflix or Hulu by sharing it with friends and family. Since those big corporation never paid their taxes, why should we pay them a membership fee if we can simply share the account with someone else.

Focus on what matters to you more on a daily basis. Don’t try to make changes on something you don’t have control over.

Old 09-19-2019, 07:31 AM

20,261 posts, read 35,255,986 times
I'm never getting rid of my cable. I'm paying for the convenience to not have 50 separate places to sign in to watch stuff. It's convenient for my family too. Just as there are channels I never watch, there are websites I never go to as well. I pay about $220 a month for Fios triple play and I have every channel, 75/75.

Forum TOS: http://www.city-data.com/forumtos.html
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or