U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-21-2019, 03:45 PM

21,740 posts, read 14,418,272 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pierrepont7731 View Post
And why is that?
Probably because he/she dared to post something that wasn't about an affordable housing lottery.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-21-2019, 04:10 PM

498 posts, read 129,998 times
Old hag haha

Old 09-21-2019, 05:27 PM

2,265 posts, read 1,063,302 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iammax View Post
Headphones are far less of a problem than keeping your EYES down
or turning your head to the opposite direction of where your feet are rapidly moving towards. Look where you're going. Jeesh.

Old 09-22-2019, 05:40 AM

2,331 posts, read 704,504 times
1) Driving or biking with headphones on is obviously hazardous and potentially fatal. It sounds like the Woman you refer to was driving?

2) Coming from a long line of portable electronics users since the very first "Walkman" came out I can assure you that it's not the technology, it's the user. Unfortunately there are just TOO MANY PEOPLE. Portable electronics have been available since the late 70s including (although cost prohibitive at the time) cellular phones. Car accidents etc. did not necessarily increase significantly.

3) Understand that some people just are very low IQ and there's just not enough time to figure out if every single person has a death wish, mental illness etc. There are 8 million people in this city all you can do to preserve time and sanity is to dodge effectively and get to your destination as efficiently as possible and plan your routes and navigation time as best as possible. Assume everyone other than yourself is mentally ill and proceed accordingly with great care and awareness. I am able to maneuver more adeptly through the streets with headphones while glancing at my cell more than 90% of other pedestrians I have encountered who have absolutely no distractions yet still manage to fumble, bumble around and stumble into incoming traffic.

4) A large portion of people involved in vehicular accidents or self inflicted accidents are not under any influence (except their own mental illness) and are NOT distracted by any electronics. There are a large amount of people who have "dead fish eyes " and don't care if they live or die. These are the individuals aggravating you. Their use of technology is irrelevant to the bigger issue at hand.

Old 09-22-2019, 06:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vision33r View Post
I'm certainly guilty of walking and using my phone but I keep it to a minimum before I start my jogging mode to get around hordes of phone zombies hogging the sidewalks. A recession will fix this, most people who don't hurry will be out of the job as we've gone almost a decade without a downturn where only the strongest, smartest, and fittest folks will keep their jobs and the rest will have to adapt to be competitive. In the previous recessions, my train gotten empty and emptier each month. The only ones left with a job are those that hustle and go about their business.
Unfortunately the opposite may happen. Mental acuity is no longer strongly associated with maintaining employment. In fact it's typically the dumbest who band together against the handful of intelligent folks and get them ousted because they are seen as a threat.

So less people on the train but all who remain won't neccesarily be the best or the brightest.

Old 09-22-2019, 06:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chloe333 View Post
I am not advising you. I do know the city to some extent. My people landed there at the turn of the last century from various places in Europe and opened bars and bakeries in and around the city. I was born in Port Jefferson. Grandparents migrated to Long Island, parents migrated down south in the 70's. I recently was in NYC and was kept awake all night for several nights by a giggling man high on weed. That was only one frustration that I experienced but I love the city to bits nonetheless.

I am just saying that NYC has very high potential and probability for being a frustrating and exasperating place to live. By the way, on a recent trip, I fussed at my daughter for doing just what you say here. She kept stopping and checking her phone getting off the subway and on sidewalks. Like dominos, people would ram into her and I told her to stop doing this. It was annoying to everyone. I do get it.

You say the city has gone to filth but really it has gotten safer and better through the years.
You haven't lived here enough consistently. If you've never had the rage and you don't complain TBH you're not a real NYer. It's too safe now and that's actually part of the problem. When I was a kid in the 90s you bumped into someone even at major transportation hub with police around you might be liable to get shouted at and clocked over the head if you didn't appear remorseful or apologetic.

I think I started to notice the stupidity in pedestrians started to exponentially increase gradualy after the recession ended. Around 2011/2012 a large influx of transplants started coming in for either college or entry level Corporate work and clogging up our subway systems and sidewalks. Meanwhile they replaced older Native NYers roughly age 35-55 looking for more affordable places to start a family and retire etc.

When I took the subway in 2007 I rarely had any issues with either people or train malfunctions. It worked reliably there weren't fights on the train during rush hours like there is today. People had common sense and manners, there was always one idiot but today it's like 5/10 commuters have their head up their ***.

You can't really comment on this subject matter unless you've lived, worked and commuted here extensively.

Old 09-22-2019, 06:54 AM

21,818 posts, read 28,910,447 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhyRUMad View Post
I purposely blow right into people walking while looking at their cell. I donít even direct myself toward them, I just keep walking as I was. Bam! I have obliterated at least 6 cell phones to date. They go flying into the street. The best is when they fall into a puddle. Had one go onto the tracks last week at 59th. I even had one guy walk right into me while I was just standing there. Saw him coming and he trips over my feet. Lol.

Look where the f you are going!

ROFL...I wish I had the balls to start doing that.

Old 09-22-2019, 07:26 AM

11,448 posts, read 22,047,966 times
I agree that everyone seems to be on their phones, blocking people, stopping traffic on sidewalks, etc. so I was a little surprised to see this old school New Yorker yesterday in the Trader Joes line. What is he doing... listening to a RADIO??

Old 09-22-2019, 03:31 PM

21,740 posts, read 14,418,272 times
Problem began getting out of control when minutes became so cheap to unlimited. Prior to this as with landline cost of using one's phone were high so many kept their usage under control.

Now you can't get away from people either yakking away, texting or whatever else that keeps their attention glued to their phones.

Old 09-24-2019, 01:55 PM

16 posts, read 10,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pierrepont7731 View Post
I agree. People just can't stop walking and texting and just walk everywhere with their cell phones out and their heads buried in it. I yelled at a lady in my neighborhood the other morning in fact. She was walking and texting and almost walked into me. You have to walk and look out for yourself and for them too.

This is a daily thing with me. People walking on the busiest intersection in midtown in the peak of rush hour buried in their phones. sometimes I would just walk in their path to see their startled reactions and then I give them the look. Not one apology so far or sorry or anything. They just look up sheepishly. The funny thing there is no age or gender or ethnicity that does it more than others.

This is an epidemic. Rush hour NYC is traumatic and stressful enough please for your own sake and for the sake of others be considerate and refrain from this acquired narcissistic habit you have suddenly acquired.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or