U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-24-2019, 02:01 PM

16 posts, read 10,759 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlakeJones View Post
not to mention, NYC sidewalks work when people stick to the right to walk so others can pass on the left. I see people all the time now on their phones hovering just left which is a perfect block so you can't pass right and you can't pass left or else run into people coming the other way

Really I was always told stick to your left and I deliberately and consciously do that. I was told it is the way you drive.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old Today, 11:15 AM

21,818 posts, read 28,910,447 times
If you want a real walking nightmare, leave a Broadway theater after a Wednesday matinee and walk several blocks...you mill need a MACHETE or a pre-frontal lobotomy.
My last experience was akin to a trek though HELL.

Old Today, 11:47 AM

8,379 posts, read 3,720,585 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eternalsands View Post

This is a daily thing with me. People walking on the busiest intersection in midtown in the peak of rush hour buried in their phones. sometimes I would just walk in their path to see their startled reactions and then I give them the look. Not one apology so far or sorry or anything. They just look up sheepishly. The funny thing there is no age or gender or ethnicity that does it more than others.

This is an epidemic. Rush hour NYC is traumatic and stressful enough please for your own sake and for the sake of others be considerate and refrain from this acquired narcissistic habit you have suddenly acquired.
On top of that, there are the HUGE tourist groups that travel in packs and walk side by side as if they must all walk together down the street. The only thing they don't do is hold hands while doing so.

Old Today, 02:45 PM
Status: "Two minutes later...Girls On Film." (set 16 days ago)

2,123 posts, read 1,029,980 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pierrepont7731 View Post
On top of that, there are the HUGE tourist groups that travel in packs and walk side by side as if they must all walk together down the street. The only thing they don't do is hold hands while doing so.
I sometimes wonder if tourists watch an instructional video on the flight over about how to take up an entire sidewalk while walking as slowly as possible.

Old Today, 03:10 PM

8,379 posts, read 3,720,585 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobCaldwell View Post
I sometimes wonder if tourists watch an instructional video on the flight over about how to take up an entire sidewalk while walking as slowly as possible.
What drives me crazy is that they just walk blindly and gawk at everything. No sense of direction. I've even saw a few them all over the sidewalk because they were crossing the street and not looking where they were walking. You have to wonder if they're that dumb in general.

Old Today, 04:01 PM

21,740 posts, read 14,418,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eternalsands View Post

Really I was always told stick to your left and I deliberately and consciously do that. I was told it is the way you drive.
Might be true in some other countries (such as UK), but far as New York and other parts of United States laws clearly mandate driving on the *right* side of road.

https://dmv.ny.gov/about-dmv/chapter-6-passing

Indeed a majority of world drives on the right; of those that do so on left are Great Britain and largely her former colonies.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Left-_...t-hand_traffic

Knew someone who failed her road test by entering a two way street from one way and went directly on left side. As she made the turn the instructor at once asked her "where are you supposed to be?", it was after a few moments she realized the error, but DMV tester gave no slack. Action was an immediate cause to fail road test, which the guy did, this despite tears, pleading and fact until that moment the female was passing with flying colors.

Why the fuss? On a single two way street traffic on left goes one way, and right is another. This girl turned into a northbound traffic lane (left) when she should have been in right (southbound) lane. Lucky for both driver and passenger this was a suburban area without much traffic at that time, otherwise she would have caused a head on collision.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or