U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-21-2019, 08:20 AM

20,278 posts, read 35,283,130 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pope of Greenwich Village View Post
Trader Joe’s wine store on 14th street sells the cheapest wine around but progressives LOVE Trader Joe’s. I wonder how many M&Ps disappeared from that area. If TJs isn’t a big corporate interest then what is?
What was there before Trader Joes? Wasnt it another kind of grocery store if I remember correctly?

Forum TOS: http://www.city-data.com/forumtos.html
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-21-2019, 10:14 AM

10,761 posts, read 8,729,080 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluedog2 View Post
God bless her for fighting against the suburbanization of NYC. If it isn't stopped there will eventually be almost no storefronts in the city and even people in Manhattan will have to drive or take cabs to shop for anything.

My district enjoys many of the benefits of a vibrant small business economy: job creation for and by community members, socio-economic mobility for immigrants and new Americans, and long-lasting relationships between proprietors and their customers, Ocasio-Cortez said in the Sept. 17 letter to Bradley obtained by The Post. I am deeply concerned about the potential impacts that MCT Fine Wine & Spirits would have on the local small business community. "

This is the first thing she is doing that I agree with her on. I don't think it's crazy at all.

Every neighborhood should have it's own liquor store...or 2..or 3 ...that you can walk to.
She is a major component of the suburbanization of NYC. Along with Battery Park City, LIC, Hudson Yards, etc..., as well as Amazon, Uber, Apple and the likes.

Old 09-22-2019, 11:38 AM

123 posts, read 22,084 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kapikap View Post
Go girl!

We don't need a beast like this.A liquor license is golden,especially in the neighborhood.

To have another indie business fail because of the lower prices of box stores stings of corruption. Kills 'merican dreams.

Homedepot screwed alot of lumber yards out of profit. The only thing saving the small lumberyard was un approved credit. Oldschool but attractive for contractors.

The random liquor store makes money on holidays,drunks,and fans of wine. These customers are car less,rely on public transport, like to see a regular face.

That's right genius, lower prices are bad for you!!

Old 09-22-2019, 11:41 AM

123 posts, read 22,084 times
Quote:
God bless her for fighting against the suburbanization of NYC. If it isn't stopped there will eventually be almost no storefronts in the city and even people in Manhattan will have to drive or take cabs to shop for anything.

My district enjoys many of the benefits of a vibrant small business economy: job creation for and by community members, socio-economic mobility for immigrants and new Americans, and long-lasting relationships between proprietors and their customers, Ocasio-Cortez said in the Sept. 17 letter to Bradley obtained by The Post. I am deeply concerned about the potential impacts that MCT Fine Wine & Spirits would have on the local small business community. "

This is the first thing she is doing that I agree with her on. I don't think it's crazy at all.

Every neighborhood should have it's own liquor store...or 2..or 3 ...that you can walk to.

What does the local College Point Councilmember have to say about all this nonsense?

Old 09-22-2019, 01:46 PM

6,585 posts, read 6,604,587 times
This Total Wine and More will undercut small mom and pop liquor stores, so this a good thing she doing.

Old 09-22-2019, 01:54 PM

6,585 posts, read 6,604,587 times
Quote:

“My district enjoys many of the benefits of a vibrant small business economy: job creation for and by community members, socio-economic mobility for immigrants and new Americans, and long-lasting relationships between proprietors and their customers,” Ocasio-Cortez said in the Sept. 17 letter to Bradley obtained by The Post. “I am deeply concerned about the potential impacts that MCT Fine Wine & Spirits would have on the local small business community. "

The suburbs could also use some less "suburbanization" too. The suburbs too had plenty of small businessess before all the wall street big boxes, and mega malls popped up. Main St was a thriving thing once.

Quote:
Originally Posted by speediestevie View Post
Look, I get the point - she's afraid of Walmartization effect on local business. But we live in a high density city. People who walk to their liquor store, aren't going to take an Uber to College Point all of the sudden to get their Shiraz for $2 cheaper.

In Stony Brook, LI where this store was blocked, everyone drives, so going to a cheaper retailer appears more real and consequential.

Also, College Point already has a lot of Big Box stores, it's quite spread out -- to get to them, most people drive. Think strip malls and large parking lots. So a large liquor store wouldn't kill the neighborhood's character.
In such a high density area the Big box wont be too far away. Plus they can buy in bulk so why not drive to get cheaper? Alcohol is non perishable. It wont only hurt small liquor stores in College Point, but in Whitestone, and Flushing, and Bayside, and Corona, and Jackson Heights.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlakeJones View Post
It's actually paradoxical. AOC rails about inequality and income disparity, that poorer people can't afford the same things as more wealthy residents. Yet here she is actively preventing stores like walmart or large liquor stores with economies of scale that would actually save people money and provide them with more discretionary income.

This specific large liquor store would be in college point where you need to drive to get to. The people buying liquor at the corner store aren't even the people that are going to go there
These big box chains make it harder for smaller businesses to compete. So any poor person who wants to pull themselves up by the bootstraps wont have a chance. They will only be able to get a minimum or close to wage at one of these big box chains, and perpetuate the cycle of poverty. They can never be their own masters

Old 09-22-2019, 02:11 PM

6,519 posts, read 6,054,555 times
In a day of people leaving their neighborhoods to shop (This isn't the 50's where people do everything in their neighborhood) and online shopping... ma and pa shops are going away simply because they are over priced and people want a cheaper price. If AOC blocks them from coming whos says the locals will shop at the ma and pa shops??? If I don't buy things online, I leave my neighborhood to shop if I need something asap because I shop places with cheaper prices.

Old 09-22-2019, 03:06 PM

8,495 posts, read 6,482,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ Brazen_3133 View Post
They will only be able to get a minimum or close to wage at one of these big box chains, and perpetuate the cycle of poverty. They can never be their own masters
This shouldn't be breaking news but you don't break the cycle of poverty by working at a liquor store. You break it by instilling good study habits in your kids so they go far in their education to learn how to make good life decisions and get a proper career

Old 09-22-2019, 03:13 PM

9,739 posts, read 9,479,149 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BugsyPal View Post
Because we haven't heard from that whacky AOC in several days.....
I fail to see anything wacky about that. Any "Walmart of liquor" would not be something I'd want in my neighborhood.

Old 09-22-2019, 03:20 PM

21,682 posts, read 14,364,926 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ Brazen_3133 View Post
This Total Wine and More will undercut small mom and pop liquor stores, so this a good thing she doing.
People crack me up with that argument.

So they're happy paying more because "mom & pop" stores do not have the sort of purchasing power that allows for better prices. No wonder everyone with sense is flocking to the internet, and or does their shopping outside of NYC where things are dramatically cheaper.

In many other parts of world (such as Europe) you can go into any supermarket and buy all sorts of booze including hard liquor. But Nooooo, not in NY because that would harm small businesses.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or