U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-22-2019, 08:56 PM

4,376 posts, read 1,156,400 times

Advertisements

Opinion:

Time to rethink.......................................The internet is the mom and pop shop off the 21st century !
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old Yesterday, 08:51 PM

16,606 posts, read 6,575,228 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BugsyPal View Post
Because we haven't heard from that whacky AOC in several days.....

https://nypost.com/2019/09/19/aoc-fi...eens-district/
I just read the article. I would trust her deep economics background and incisive logic. She really is one of America's treasures.

Old Today, 06:54 AM

21,791 posts, read 28,872,211 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluedog2 View Post

Every neighborhood should have it's own liquor store...or 2..or 3 ...that you can walk to.

Or 9 or 10. Just kidding, I need ONE great wine store (Mister Wright: great value, pleasant staff, large selection) and one bargain liquor store (Normandie Wines) and I have one of each.
If I want super values and quantity, like if the Queen is visiting, and I am in the Village and I am in the mood to drag liquor home, I will stop at Warehouse Wines and Spirits on Broadway.
If I am near Union Square, it is Trader Horn and a couple bottles of their cheap tasty Ruby Port (I forget the brand$7.99...delicious to drink and great in beef stews.)

Last edited by Kefir King; Today at 07:27 AM..

Old Today, 09:16 PM

6,585 posts, read 6,604,587 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlakeJones View Post
This shouldn't be breaking news but you don't break the cycle of poverty by working at a liquor store. You break it by instilling good study habits in your kids so they go far in their education to learn how to make good life decisions and get a proper career
Or starting your own business, like maybe a liquor store. Which be next to impossible when companies backed by wall street who control printing presses corner all the markets.

That is already happened in most brick and mortar sectors, and is happening to the internet.

First we had the mom and pop pharmacies, then Rite Aid/CVS etc etc came along (ok we still have some small pharmacies, but a few). Amazon has pretty much taken over the internet retail business.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BugsyPal View Post
People crack me up with that argument.

So they're happy paying more because "mom & pop" stores do not have the sort of purchasing power that allows for better prices. No wonder everyone with sense is flocking to the internet, and or does their shopping outside of NYC where things are dramatically cheaper.

In many other parts of world (such as Europe) you can go into any supermarket and buy all sorts of booze including hard liquor. But Nooooo, not in NY because that would harm small businesses.
There was a time when everyone did purchase at mom and pop. Apparently it was not that hard on people. There are many factors that allowed for better pricing like shipping manufacturing overseas, or price competition. All the chinese takeouts are small businesses, and they still pretty cheap, or at least all the poor folk can still afford it.

Many little small businesses abound does not equate to higher prices. There is such as thing as price competition. If you move vertically, or horizontally along the economic chain, more little players is actually not a bad thing. Even the gubment blocked T-Mobile from being merged. Having more players in the cell phone world is better.

There is nothing stopping any supermarket owners in NYC from starting a small side business that sells liquor. Or the owner of the liquor store owner from opening up their own supermarket on the side.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or