U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old Yesterday, 06:40 PM

8,526 posts, read 20,565,891 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by chattyneighbor View Post
LOL - no, I didn't say what the job was - nor provide his name and address.

Not sure where you came up with 2000 people a year - but to may way of thinking - that is a hell of a lot of people to be collecting all that information on.

Plus, I'm wondering if the quality of the hires MIGHT improve if their first choice candidates weren't all turning down jobs because they refused to subject themselves to that level of scrutiny. My son-in-law was not desperate for the job - but the guy on the bottom of their candidate list may be willing to exchange privacy for work.

Anyway, this is our first foray into NYC government and we were just shocked - and amused - at the amount of information they expected him to provide.
Lol, 2,000 a year comes from the link that you provided.
Didn’t you read it before you posted it?

2,000 people a year is a drop in the bucket of the number of employees NYC hires every year. NYC has 250,000 employees. The vast majority of them don’t undergo that level of scrutiny so obviously there is a good reason for the one’s who do.

Old Yesterday, 06:59 PM

4,340 posts, read 1,145,327 times
Quote:
So my son-in-law landed a part-time job working for the City of New York - it is not a great job but it will provide some decent experience while he finishes up grad school.

Excerpt:

I told him to take a pass on the job. It was already offered to him on the condition he undergoes all this investigation. I don't think the information is secure and it is just too much stuff to be in position of some rogue NYC employees. Plus, it is really overkill for the type of part-time job he was offered. Frankly, it is a lot of information -even if you were being hired as MAYOR!

http://www1.nyc.gov/site/doi/offices/background-investigations-unit.page
Opinion:
You have to have an unblemished record to land a city job to pilfer...............
Great advice!
Have him take on a blue collar job with a private company such as electrical,carpentry, and plumbing
until he is finished with school. This experience will last a life time and pay off dividends. .

Old Yesterday, 08:50 PM

924 posts, read 505,197 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluedog2 View Post
Lol, 2,000 a year comes from the link that you provided.
Didnít you read it before you posted it?

2,000 people a year is a drop in the bucket of the number of employees NYC hires every year. NYC has 250,000 employees. The vast majority of them donít undergo that level of scrutiny so obviously there is a good reason for the oneís who do.
Ah no. I didn,t. Just actually clicked the links for the forms he had to fill out. Its nice my son in law is in such an elite group but he is aticking with his white collar peeps in private industry and will leave the civil servants to bearing their souls in exchange for feeding at the public till. He wouldnt have stayed with a city job after he graduates anyhow but we were just curiuos as to the kind of people who would actually provide some city worker with that info. Lol especially since it appears these clerks processing this highly confidental info probably did not themselves have to undergo the screening process.

Old Yesterday, 09:05 PM

634 posts, read 602,529 times
Whatever your relative is applying for is obviously a position with access to sensitive information.

If you see an article next week of a corrections clerk forging inmates paperwork for early release because they have gang ties, you would probably make a thread asking why wasn’t the clerk vigorously screened and investigated before being hired.

As far as I know, several departments investigate employees for up to the first 5 years, not sure whats the criteria or if its random.

If theres nothing to hide, why not provide the info?

Old Yesterday, 09:11 PM

792 posts, read 254,018 times
I was a social worker and had a supervisor offer in New York that I didn’t take and only required degree information.

Old Yesterday, 09:24 PM

924 posts, read 505,197 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BugsyPal View Post
What exactly is the problem?

Scores if not hundreds of private, local and federal government jobs (both direct hires and or contractor) along with military all have various levels of *intrusive* background checks. DOI is hardly alone on that score.

After information is vetted then used as part of hiring process it becomes a permanent part of employee or whoever personnel file. Depending upon job in question certain things might be shared with state or federal government agency.

As to who can see what; back in days of paper files anyone with clerance that gave access could browse to their hearts content. Nowadays with everything digitized usually there are various levels of security clearance. That is what a level one employee can see is limited versus someone higher up the food chain.

People turn down jobs all the time by refusing DOI or whatever background checks. If the process is mandated by law there isn't any way around, so agency will just move onto next applicant. There *might* be a notation in file as to why applicant withdrew themselves for consideration. Will that affect future chances down the road, who knows....
All I can say is if I tried to give the chief execs in my company those forms to fill out, they would laugh all the way to my competitor,s business.
Maybe its a civil service mentality that makes people think signing away all your personal and legal rights for a public job is ok.
We do a basic check relevant to the job and carefully restrict the consents to expire 6 mths after hire. I would never expect a candidate to permit redisclosure. In fact, I would hever hire anyone willing to put themselves through what the city expects because I like ny execs to have more self worth.
I guess if the city is worried about one of their high level managers hiring an ex convict with a crack addicted husband living with a drug dealing soninlaw whose wife sells $20000 of untaxed designer bags monthly on ebay and also a big financial contributor of the illgotten gain to the Mayor through rev sharpton,s fundraising organization, then sure, it all makes sense. Unfortunately, those really top level people are al exempt from the civil service and screening process so .....
But the point of the thread wasnt to discuss the wisdom or idiocy of the nycapos for new hire and the doi, but whether there many people out there wbho would or did refuse a job because of them. Perhaps I need to move this thread to the jobs forum where the discussion might not hit so close to home.

Old Yesterday, 09:41 PM

21,601 posts, read 14,326,252 times
Quote:
All I can say is if I tried to give the chief execs in my company those forms to fill out, they would laugh all the way to my competitor,s business.
Maybe its a civil service mentality that makes people think signing away all your personal and legal rights for a public job is ok.
We do a basic check relevant to the job and carefully restrict the consents to expire 6 mths after hire. I would never expect a candidate to permit redisclosure. In fact, I would hever hire anyone willing to put themselves through what the city expects because I like ny execs to have more self worth.
I guess if the city is worried about one of their high level managers hiring an ex convict with a crack addicted husband living with a drug dealing soninlaw whose wife sells $20000 of untaxed designer bags monthly on ebay and also a big financial contributor of the illgotten gain to the Mayor through rev sharpton,s fundraising organization, then sure, it all makes sense. Unfortunately, those really top level people are al exempt from the civil service and screening process so .....
Again you just don't know.....

Executives, and or potential CEO's are thoroughly vetted and or may be asked to comply with providing much if not same background information as you're raving about.

https://www.backgroundchecks.com/sol...utivescreening

https://www.pinow.com/articles/1673/...hniques-differ

Much will depend upon who is making the job offer, but board of directors, shareholders and others just don't hire anyone off the street. Nor do they necessarily take applicants word as gospel about their background. Of course if you began the company (like Mark Zuckerberg) or any of the other tech giants that is a different story.

In many instances in order for a CEO and or an executive to function they must have ability to operate within certain industries/areas. This alone may require having certain security clearances and "clean" background. Those in banking/financial sector are required by federal law to have certain criminal background checks including FBI. Higher up the food chain one goes more extensive are those inquires.

Equally true those inquiries may extend to spouse/partner and or any other adult living in same home including children.

Finally what a private company chooses to do with its money versus federal or local government are different matters. Governments spend taxpayer money. Anytime anything is stolen, mishandled, or whatever that is rate payers money, not a private company's. Ditto when federal or local government has to pay compensation/restitution because of crimes, fraud, waste or whatever committed by someone while they are employed/appointed to a government office.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City