U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-20-2019, 12:29 PM

1,512 posts, read 857,462 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Airborneguy View Post
Definitely not upset that the perp died, but this isn’t how you handle self-defense legally.
I might have a different understanding of §35.15 than you but, yea I'm sure ...a running foot chase outside of the visual range of his premises means the homeowner is gonna get slapped with something, technically speaking.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-20-2019, 12:34 PM

73,516 posts, read 73,313,926 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RageX View Post
I might have a different understanding of §35.15 than you but, yea I'm sure ...a running foot chase outside of the visual range of his premises means the homeowner is gonna get slapped with something, technically speaking.
once you are out of your house all bets are off as to outcome . a fleeing perp is not a danger to you .

Old 09-20-2019, 12:44 PM

11,211 posts, read 9,579,319 times
Once the perp tries to flee, any basis for a self defense claim is lost.

Old 09-20-2019, 12:56 PM

9,039 posts, read 7,304,185 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RageX View Post
Yeah, that's my point.

He wasn't in a self-defense situation.

Being out of "visual range" of his house doesn't negate self-defense. Chasing the perp down, then assaulting him with a weapon when he is no longer presenting a threat most certainly does though.

Need help? Click on this: >>> ToS, Mod List, Rules & FAQ's, Guide, CD Home page, How to Search

Old 09-20-2019, 03:42 PM

532 posts, read 421,705 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
once you are out of your house all bets are off as to outcome . a fleeing perp is not a danger to you .

IDK, if someone tried to break into my house, and then was outside, I would still absolutely consider him a danger. Who knows if he's going into his car to get a gun or bringing backup. The law may disagree, but I would absolutely consider that person a danger.

Old 09-20-2019, 04:04 PM

21,635 posts, read 14,343,775 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eddiep83 View Post
IDK, if someone tried to break into my house, and then was outside, I would still absolutely consider him a danger. Who knows if he's going into his car to get a gun or bringing backup. The law may disagree, but I would absolutely consider that person a danger.
What you're saying is true from that point of view. However by law you are only allowed to use force to repel an attack on your person/life. Once that threat ceases anything more is illegal.

Despite the oft media or whatever depiction no, you cannot deliver a serious and prolonged beat down just because a person hits/touches your person.

You most certainly cannot lay hands on someone/throw first punch without said provocation and or perceived threat.

Hotheads who still pull stunts like this find all this out:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WRSTDKgUGj8

Old 09-20-2019, 04:07 PM

8,530 posts, read 20,572,196 times
Quote:
Then you would wind up being charged and probably convicted of murder like this guy.

Old 09-20-2019, 04:08 PM

Quote:
You could be as proactive as you want outside the home ...but that could set you up for a nasty outcome..

The problem today is even if you manage to beat a criminal case ,which can cost a fortune ,you still have a civil suit to deal with where it can cost you every penny ..

So situations outside the house really need to be evaluated or you. May have been better off dead then living an impoverished life because of a poor decision.

When I lived in kew garden hills we had a community driveway.... a bad guy was breaking in to cars at night for quite a while .....I was going to put a silent beeper alarm on at the time ...but thought better of confronting him armed so I just did not put the Volvo radio back in anymore and left the doors unlocked so they could just peek in

Old 09-20-2019, 04:34 PM

9,726 posts, read 9,471,410 times
Joke? You're not allowed to murder someone unless you're under danger of death yourself.

Old 09-20-2019, 04:47 PM

Interesting reading on our self defense laws ..but remember nothing is ever black and white , just different shades of gray

https://lawofselfdefense.com/jury-in...e-of-a-person/
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or