U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-24-2019, 09:59 AM

311 posts, read 613,003 times

Advertisements

https://www.brooklynpaper.com/storie...-09-27-bk.html

The want to cut cars off the street, add bus lanes, yet make people wait longer for fewer buses.
This doesn't make sense, unless they want to isolate people.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-24-2019, 11:15 AM

127 posts, read 23,682 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by antinimby View Post
^ If you take those two groups out, NYC would be no different demographically from Detroit, St. Louis, Baltimore, Buffalo, Camden, Trenton, Newark and a whole bunch of other Democrat controlled sewers.

But that is the progressives dream. The white ethnics and asians demand safe neighborhoods and good schools, not freebies and welfare programs.

Old 09-24-2019, 11:18 AM

2,205 posts, read 687,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dfc99 View Post
But that is the progressives dream. The white ethnics and asians demand safe neighborhoods and good schools, not freebies and welfare programs.
Many of those "white ethnics" and Asians are ultra liberals themselves.

Old 09-25-2019, 02:39 PM

7,596 posts, read 6,064,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
What about better bus service and streamlining LIRR fares with the bus and subway while upping frequency?

Great idea. Take a bus all the way from Rosedale and then have them clog up Manhattan streets, as if the express buses don't already do so. Maybe by 4PM they might arrive. You cannot have enough express buses to cater to a high % of the 80% who live outside of Manhattan.

Rush hour on the subway is already a zoo and the morning chaos already over burdens the system. This is why many outer boroughs people drive as far as they can.

Old 09-25-2019, 02:59 PM

Quote:
Actually I think it's the white ethnics and the asians that the progressives want to leave NYC.

You might not know this but do you know that a higher % of the Asian population in NYC are poor than is the case for blacks. And black immigrants have similar median household incomes as do your average NYers and when we chat about the folks in Rosedale who scream that taking the bus to Manhattan is nonsense its Caribbean folks we talk about. And yes these black immigrants are the very homeowners who bawl that their property taxes are higher than De Blasio's.

Yes I know that 50 years ago the chatter was about "the black and Puerto Rican welfare bums) and "hardworking" white ethnics, but times have really changed. You do know that Russians live off the taxpayers way more than do most other immigrant groups?

Caban was screaming every time a Rosedale ballot was opened because she knew that this is Katz territory. Calling gangbangers "troubled" and screaming that we don't need jails, polls well in Astoria which is safe, but less well in Rochdale. Black class blacks are center left and not left. Most NYers are center left as those angry rightwing WWII vets are either in the grave, harassing their kids in LI or living in a hospice in FL. The average white voter now in NYC is likely to the left of the average black voter.

Old 09-25-2019, 03:03 PM

Quote:

I bet you are some angry Vietnam vet who thinks that NYC hasn't changed since 1978.

How many white ethnics are left in NYC? Bensonhurst isn't Italian anymore. I bet more SNAP is now used by the Chinese and Russians who live there than by the Jamaicans and Haitians homeowners who live in Rosedale.

Old 09-25-2019, 03:23 PM

6,530 posts, read 6,062,416 times
F-cars! You want your house and 2 cars then live in the burbs not one of the most populated cities in the world. Get over yourself with your me me me sh&t!

Old 09-25-2019, 03:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by livingsinglenyc View Post
F-cars! You want your house and 2 cars then live in the burbs not one of the most populated cities in the world. Get over yourself with your me me me sh&t!

and you need to get over yourself with the same attitude. Imagine what the rents will be if everyone in a two fare zone went to live in Manhattan or northwest Brooklyn/Queens. Thank God for you that some will tolerate a 2 fare zone.

Old 09-25-2019, 04:53 PM

22,761 posts, read 24,201,221 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by caribny View Post
Great idea. Take a bus all the way from Rosedale and then have them clog up Manhattan streets, as if the express buses don't already do so. Maybe by 4PM they might arrive. You cannot have enough express buses to cater to a high % of the 80% who live outside of Manhattan.

Rush hour on the subway is already a zoo and the morning chaos already over burdens the system. This is why many outer boroughs people drive as far as they can.
I think maybe I'm not expressing this very well. I don't think punitive measures without improvements makes much sense. I'm not saying people should be squeezed out of cars to take the alternatives as they are now. I think that's pretty punitive for a lot of people. I think the alternatives need to be reformed and improved so that they make the amount of cars out on the road less necessary.

Let's take Rosedale as you mentioned which is a good case, because that's one of the more car dependent neighborhoods. It's a long haul to get to Manhattan by driving, but maybe it works for some despite traffic being pretty bad. Regardless, it's not a great situation either way. Express buses with bus lanes can actually serve a lot more people per amount of lanes used than mostly single rider automobiles and that's pretty much just geometry right there, but you'd have to have and enforce bus lanes for express buses and run them with high frequency. However, that's probably still not enough and it'll be difficult to enforce and obviously, that's not what exists now. What Rosedale does have though is a LIRR train station and what is under construction is a second endpoint for LIRR in Manhattan which can scoot a lot more people a lot faster into the city. The problem is that those stations aren't very well kept and the ticket prices are quite high and the frequency unfortunately isn't. However, these can and should be adjusted as has been done with fares under the Atlantic Ticket and CityTicket programs. There essentially needs to be some kind of fare integration with other modes of transit and an increase of frequency for these LIRR lines including off-peak. With that needs to come more frequent and better bus service targeted towards schlepping people to these better, more frequent, and fare-integrated stations. These are changes that can be made and would make having a car or at least using them for commutes into Manhattan unnecessary for most.

Last edited by OyCrumbler; 09-25-2019 at 05:14 PM..

Old 09-25-2019, 05:32 PM

2,793 posts, read 2,114,297 times
I personally donít mind the whole city is run by public transportation, but make sure everything is smooth, and if there is a problem, it should be fix under 5 minutes. If they can do that, sure, go for it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or