U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-20-2019, 05:43 PM

9,739 posts, read 9,479,149 times

Advertisements

I'm unhappy with this recent trend. I love that Manhattan is very anti-car in comparison to the rest of the country, but I'm bothered about all the moves in recent years, like closing Broadway and promoting congestion pricing - that have a lot of negative aspects. Blocking off streets and narrowing streets is an impediment to buses as well, and slows taxis for anyone who wants to splurge on them.

I'd be much happier if they just clamped down on Uber. And, by the way, I recently had to take a taxi for the first time in a long while, and I practically fell over on seeing the price for a short ride.

He was just on WNYC, but I can't find the interview. Maybe it was a re-run.

Corey Johnson Wants to ‘Break the Car Culture’ in New York City. What Does That Mean?
https://www.gothamgazette.com/city/8...rk-city-subway
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-20-2019, 06:01 PM

10,761 posts, read 8,729,080 times
NYC is promoting a dirty diesel mack truck culture instead.

Old 09-20-2019, 09:44 PM

824 posts, read 438,099 times
I think it's a good thing to use fewer cars. Good for our health, good for our budgets, and good for the environment.

Old 09-20-2019, 10:12 PM

926 posts, read 581,048 times
They need to make the metro north and LIRR fares more reasonable, especially for intra-city trips like from Flushing or the North Bronx. Otherwise I don't feel comfortbale supporting more anti-car rules/laws

Old 09-21-2019, 03:04 AM
PVW

36 posts, read 10,869 times
Yes, he wants fewer cars, but will mass transit really improve in the way he's imagining?

Old 09-21-2019, 12:06 PM

9,039 posts, read 7,309,382 times
They can have Manhattan, its design is not conducive to driving anyway. The problem is they are spreading this crap to the outer boroughs as well where “car culture” is necessary. I totally ignore bike lanes on Staten Island, as do most others, because all they are is a hassle for drivers with very little bicyclists using them. How did we get by for decades without them?

One major example:

People who live in homes go food shopping for the week (or more). We don’t have the space constraints that apartment dwellers have, or the bodega on every corner that less affluent are willing to live off of. We shop for our families in a manner which begets the need for a car to bring our multiple bags home.

We’re not bothering the leftists who want a different lifestyle for themselves, so leave us the hell alone.

Need help? Click on this: >>> ToS, Mod List, Rules & FAQ's, Guide, CD Home page, How to Search

Old 09-21-2019, 12:36 PM

288 posts, read 140,016 times
That's funny, I still remember some of the City Council members complaining that it took them 5-8 hours to get home (north Bronx or Westchester) during one of the last major snowstorms. These are people who use placards to park in one of the busiest areas downtown. Less 'car culture' for thee, but not for me.

Old 09-21-2019, 01:39 PM

4,637 posts, read 3,218,646 times
they need to fund more passenger rail infrastructure like nj transit, amtrak, and MTA if they want less cars

also need train to the plain for all major myc metro airports

Old 09-21-2019, 08:12 PM

15,699 posts, read 25,367,151 times
we now have bike lanes on these busy brooklyn avenues where bikes really shouldnt be in the frist place.

I watched a woman biker yell at a car on 3rd ave in sunset park, hello???? third ave, would be the last avenue Id ride a bike, idiot.....

Old 09-21-2019, 09:53 PM

21,666 posts, read 14,364,926 times
Corey Johnston is just tapping into the transplant and whatever mantra about biking/anti-motor vehicles to enhance is street cred with that demographic.

He wants to be NYC's first out gay mayor and will be running in what promises to be a crowded field in 2021. A long list of term limited city pols including Scott Stringer already have made their intentions known, and more democrats likely will add their names to that list in coming year or so.

Liberal, progressive democrats are going to fall all over themselves in seeing just how far left they can get to in order to appease what they believe are changing demographics of NYC. In other words more of the nonsense you see coming out out of Queens and parts of Brooklyn along with of course Manhattan.

Because of term limits nearly entire city council, and (IIRC) all the borough presidents, public advocate, and (again IIRC) all district attorneys along with comptroller are either up for re-election and or cannot run for same office again. That means a whole lot of career politicians looking around for another gig so they can feed on the public teat for another four years.

There are only a handful of offices city offices council members can run for (BP, comptroller, public advocate, DA), so if they can't bag another local elected seat, that will be that. Some like Richie Torres, Melissa Mark-Viverito, and Ruben Diaz, are going for a higher office without term limits, Congressman José Serrano of South Bronx who is "retiring" next year due to health reasons.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or