U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old Yesterday, 08:37 AM

1,071 posts, read 507,495 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by macnyc2003 View Post
What might her budget be at that time? No one can give you any meaningful advice without knowing that.

Also, it seems to me that if she needs more help, you can bring in caretakers right where she’s living now.

That might be your best bet actually, because it seems to me that assisted living doesn’t really give that much assistance, judging by what a friend went through recently with her mom.

She ended up paying for assisted living and also 24-hour care. I think she would have been better off just keeping her mom at home, which was an apartment in the same building my friend lives in, and hiring caregivers.

Also, it seems to me that the social worker at your mom’s current residence will be able to help with future needs.

All fair points macnyc....As of right now shes totally fine, but wanted to post just to see if anyone knew of a specific assisted living place they really liked....just preliminary planning on my end as I'm pretty much the only point person in the family for her.....thanks...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old Yesterday, 03:07 PM

21,648 posts, read 14,352,921 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by macnyc2003 View Post
What might her budget be at that time? No one can give you any meaningful advice without knowing that.

Also, it seems to me that if she needs more help, you can bring in caretakers right where she’s living now.

That might be your best bet actually, because it seems to me that assisted living doesn’t really give that much assistance, judging by what a friend went through recently with her mom.

She ended up paying for assisted living and also 24-hour care. I think she would have been better off just keeping her mom at home, which was an apartment in the same building my friend lives in, and hiring caregivers.

Also, it seems to me that the social worker at your mom’s current residence will be able to help with future needs.
By statue assisted living places are just that; for active seniors who do *not* require any sort of skilled nursing care. People can (and have been) thrown out of assisted living places and put in nursing homes or other arrangements when their health deteriorated to a point they needed some sort of nursing care.

Many places will have assisted living, skilled nursing (nursing home) and or memory care all in same building/complex. Others offer just one service and so......

Assisted living in NYC is expensive for same reasons other housing cost so much here; land and development costs are what they are. On top there comes costs for staffing and so forth.

There are a few new assisted living places going up in Manhattan IIRC, but overall developers aren't bringing huge amounts of product (relative to need) to market. Again land and other costs are just too high and that means pricing won't be cheap.

Old Yesterday, 03:11 PM

9,739 posts, read 9,474,977 times
I'm guessing you'd get better answers talking to an organization that specifically helps seniors.

Old Today, 07:07 AM

21,787 posts, read 28,863,188 times
Did you contact the first place that I recommended in Post #5, Brown & Brown?

Old Today, 08:23 AM

2,259 posts, read 1,058,180 times
https://www.aplaceformom.com

I actually tried this when trying to find a place for my dad. They were okay. It was awhile ago so I don't know how good they are now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or