U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old Yesterday, 04:05 PM

21,648 posts, read 14,352,921 times

Advertisements

Because we haven't had a supermarket closing thread in a while.....

https://evgrieve.com/2019/09/the-ass...t-in-stuy.html

Looks like between competition (which will get worse when a new TJs arrives) and "L" subway construction the place just couldn't survive.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old Yesterday, 05:44 PM

708 posts, read 248,386 times
Sad to see another one go as I normally only see them in low income neighborhoods. They have been disappearing as years go by. Cant keep up, adapt or die. I always wonder how does Bravos, Mets, and Pathmark stay afloat. Come to think of it I dont even remember the last time I saw a Mets or Pathmark.

More and more people are moving to online deliveries for the basic stuff and with Amazon owning WholeFoods it makes more sense to do so due to Prime Membership discounts. We are in the age where people don't want to stand in line or go through the hassle of talking to someone at a register, so online it is.

Last edited by SoullessOne; Yesterday at 06:23 PM..

Old Yesterday, 06:07 PM

Remember when there was that huge Pathmark off the FDR drive down by China town. Was open 24/7 with a huge parking lot. That was one of my spots because prices were a bit cheaper than local UES places, and could drive down, shop, load up and head back uptown in middle of night when there was little to no traffic.

Old Yesterday, 06:37 PM

22,694 posts, read 24,168,327 times
I wonder what's going to go in place of that since Trader Joe's is just across the street.

NYC's supermarket chains have been screwing up left and right except for H Mart which has exploded in popularity (though its headquarters moved to New Jersey). It seems like Fairway should have been able to do what Whole Foods ultimately did, but just made too many missteps. Key Food seems to be doing alright though.

Old Yesterday, 08:12 PM

470 posts, read 123,246 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoullessOne View Post
Sad to see another one go as I normally only see them in low income neighborhoods. They have been disappearing as years go by. Cant keep up, adapt or die. I always wonder how does Bravos, Mets, and Pathmark stay afloat. Come to think of it I dont even remember the last time I saw a Mets or Pathmark.

More and more people are moving to online deliveries for the basic stuff and with Amazon owning WholeFoods it makes more sense to do so due to Prime Membership discounts. We are in the age where people don't want to stand in line or go through the hassle of talking to someone at a register, so online it is.
Dude all Pathmarks closed like a few years ago.

Old Yesterday, 08:20 PM

4,360 posts, read 1,153,024 times
Opinion:

Sad to see Associated close up shop.
It provided produce at inexpensive prices.
I have a personal distaste for newer "Organic" stores taking their place as an alternative and healthier choice all while
hiding behind inflated prices. Kind of reminds me of walking into a farm store in PA and picking up a jar of home made jelly
and putting it back down on the shelf after seeing the $7.49 price tag. Who are they kidding.......You can fool some of the
people some of the time...............

Old Yesterday, 10:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Retired View Post
Opinion:

Sad to see Associated close up shop.
It provided produce at inexpensive prices.
I have a personal distaste for newer "Organic" stores taking their place as an alternative and healthier choice all while
hiding behind inflated prices. Kind of reminds me of walking into a farm store in PA and picking up a jar of home made jelly
and putting it back down on the shelf after seeing the $7.49 price tag. Who are they kidding.......You can fool some of the
people some of the time...............
Associated on UES was great years ago, now it varies in quality. Fresh produce is hit or miss, ditto for meats/poultry/fish. Nine times out of ten if you don't go early enough in day they are out of "good" stuff, especially things that are on sale.

If don't get it in Jersey or SI, usually head for Fairway on 86th or Whole Foods a few blocks up on Third. Of course when downtown/Union Square hit up Trader Joe's. Have popped into TJ's on Third in 30's now and then, not too bad.

Cannot understand why the UES has such busted supermarkets, both back in day and today.

DAG, Grosstedies, and Associated largely survive because they are the only options, which is sad for the UES. DAG is now pretty much if not wholly owned by Red Apple/Gristedes which explains in part why they are going down the toilet. That Gristedes near STPCV is turning into a DAG, guess to seem more upscale and compete with TJs and other new offerings down there.

People who are getting best deal from DAG in our area are the dumpster divers who nightly go through bags at York Avenue. I certainly wouldn't pay for much of what that place offers.

No wonder Fresh Direct, WF and TJs are kicking old school NYC supermarkets behinds; the bar is just so low.

The Morton Williams on First and 79th and new store on Third/79th are quite good. Produce, cheese, meats, poultry fresh and good selection. Now that I think of it Morton Williams on Madison/88th is pretty good as well.

Old Yesterday, 10:36 PM

1,960 posts, read 1,339,029 times
I only do Fresh Direct. Sometimes I walk over to Fairway for something high end.

No way am I carrying a bunch of groceries home.

I know the average age of CD posters is 60+. You old farts need to get with the times.

Old Today, 05:34 AM

4,360 posts, read 1,153,024 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhyRUMad View Post
I only do Fresh Direct. Sometimes I walk over to Fairway for something high end.

I know the average age of CD posters is 60+. You old farts need to get with the times.

Opinion:
The day you draw a fixed income is the day you'll understand.

Prices go up with every day that passes by
but our retirement income remains the same till the day we die.

Old Today, 08:58 AM

708 posts, read 248,386 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by foxyknoxy View Post
Dude all Pathmarks closed like a few years ago.
I had no idea. I thought they just closed the stores in my area that I use to see. I remember the one over on 174th in the BX became a Shop Rite and the one on 125th just sat empty for years. I guess since I mainly shop at BJs, WholeFoods and Food Bazzar I never really took notice they were all gone.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhyRUMad View Post

LMFAO!!!
Old folks will continue to do what old folks do (stuck in their ways). I still fight to this day with my mom who would want me to drive her to a specific supermarket because they put a paper in her door advertising sales on certain items. When I try to explain to her the time, gas, toll, and or parking fee just to go there will end up being more than whatever savings the store offered its like hitting a brick wall. Before the Wallmart in Westchester closed every other weekend she wanted me to take her up there for "savings" when there was a Food Bazzar in walking distance. Now its the one in NJ and every time I have to explain the toll + gas just to come back across the GWB negates the savings.

She sees it as shes saving money, im seeing it as shes just passing the additional cost onto me so its not coming out of her pocket.

If its packaged and sealed then Home delivery is the way to go as most stores now offer this delivery service. the only items I can remember physically shop for lately is bread because I know by week 2 its already going bad
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or