U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-23-2019, 10:05 AM

8,496 posts, read 6,485,831 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rayona View Post
The 50 empty calories is all sugar. Kids don't need sugar in their milk. And feeding milk at lunch is a nanny state thing to begin with--it's a way to offload extra milk from dairies and keep the prices up.
Sure, empty calories, but it's only FIFTY empty calories. Surely that's a small price to pay for happiness?

There are SO many other foods fed to our kids that have way more calories, the head scratcher is why they are attacking brown moo juice. Are the kids not allowed to have a childhood anymore? Ban the chemical cheese spreads and enriched white bread instead
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-23-2019, 10:25 AM

235 posts, read 103,233 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlakeJones View Post
Sure, empty calories, but it's only FIFTY empty calories. Surely that's a small price to pay for happiness?

There are SO many other foods fed to our kids that have way more calories, the head scratcher is why they are attacking brown moo juice. Are the kids not allowed to have a childhood anymore? Ban the chemical cheese spreads and enriched white bread instead
Happiness? I'll be sure to let my children know that they are having miserable childhoods because their school doesn't serve chocolate milk.

The issue is attempting to address the revolting amount of added sugar in the American diet. Every teaspoon of sugar we can cut out is an unquestionable step in the right direction.

Old 09-23-2019, 10:59 AM

Quote:
Happiness? I'll be sure to let my children know that they are having miserable childhoods because their school doesn't serve chocolate milk.
What do you allow your children to eat?

Old 09-23-2019, 11:05 AM

732 posts, read 252,308 times
Quote:

The issue is attempting to address the revolting amount of added sugar in the American diet. Every teaspoon of sugar we can cut out is an unquestionable step in the right direction.

Sugar is the better alternative than other sweeteners. Stevia extract or high fructose corn syrup to name a couple is in almost everything...highly unavoidable.

There was the war on soda...that won me over and I stopped buying it, but when I look at juice it has just about the same amount of sugars unless its the expensive zero sugar stuff.

Fountain drinks was another one they went to war with

I just cant see why go as far a chocolate milk.
The funny thing is at work when I hear parents talk about their kids in private schools their "lunch" is an account. Their parents put money into the account and the student have an ID number. they walk in get what they want and the cost is deducted from the account. When I overhear them mention the store have Naked juice, Bai drinks, or fuiji bottled water im like WTF!!! these kids are not even teenagers and their lunch price is the price of lunch in Downton finical district.

I honestly don't really think they care about the children's health in public schools, its just someone wasn't playing ball and this is a tactic to force them to the table to play

Old 09-23-2019, 11:06 AM

Real foods, preferably organic, without artificial flavors or colors (which is something the the NYC DOE gets right). My rule of thumb is that the grams of sugar must be equal to or less than the protein+fiber.

My kids get dessert some nights but certainly not at lunch. And we never have soda, juice or chocolate milk in the fridge and no chips in the pantry. Fruits and veggies first, cookies later and no liquid calories.

Old 09-23-2019, 11:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoullessOne View Post
Sugar is the better alternative than other sweeteners. Stevia extract or high fructose corn syrup to name a couple is in almost everything...highly unavoidable.
Or we could quit drinking our calories and have a glass of water.

Old 09-23-2019, 11:19 AM

15,703 posts, read 25,372,218 times
white milk does not taste good with every meal, its actually disgusting.
imagine having franks and beans (do they still ever serve that) with milk.
gross.

or chicken and potatoes, and milk, gross.
hamburgers and milk

i think milk at lunch is disgusting.

Old 09-23-2019, 11:23 AM

I asked my kids about school lunch his morning and they said that they are never offered chocolate milk. My oldest said he gets a plain milk if there are cookies (sigh) and my youngest said that she doesn't like the main on offer when they serve cookies so she never drinks the milk.

Old 09-23-2019, 12:07 PM

Quote:
Real foods, preferably organic, without artificial flavors or colors (which is something the the NYC DOE gets right). My rule of thumb is that the grams of sugar must be equal to or less than the protein+fiber.

My kids get dessert some nights but certainly not at lunch. And we never have soda, juice or chocolate milk in the fridge and no chips in the pantry. Fruits and veggies first, cookies later and no liquid calories.
Obviously that's a good way to raise your kids, but my overall point is that banning chocolate milk is a drop in the bucket. There are so many other foods offered in school cafeterias that are much higher in calories and not particularly healthy, like fried and breaded foods. There's no practical reason to ban chocolate milk in isolation except to pretend like you're doing something about unhealthy diets.

Do you know that NYC public schools barely have gym class anymore? They got rid of team sports a long time ago in most schools (competition is bad for fragile minds so they say). In a lot of schools kids just do home work in the 1-2 periods per week of gym class they do get, and recess often involves not even going outside.

They really should start with the pathetic state physical education instead of ill conceived bans

Last edited by BlakeJones; 09-23-2019 at 12:17 PM..

Old 09-23-2019, 12:12 PM

732 posts, read 252,308 times
Quote:
I asked my kids about school lunch his morning and they said that they are never offered chocolate milk. My oldest said he gets a plain milk if there are cookies (sigh) and my youngest said that she doesn't like the main on offer when they serve cookies so she never drinks the milk.
It could be when they are served lunch. When I was in public school they staggered the lunch periods. those who had the earlier lunch periods had the cream of the crop first pick of all the good stuff with chocolate milk (brown boxes). If the class/grade ate last then it was all left overs which were the red, blue, or pink milk boxes I think red was whole, pink was skin, and blue low fat but this was over 20 years ago and my memory was more focused on getting the chocolate milk. I don't even know if they still come in those colors anymore.

I don't know your kids age range but do they have an accessible vending machine in the cafeteria? It could be used an alternative to the milk (if they put something in there besides soda at a reasonable price)
We had vending machines in junior high (prices were reasonable, 25 cents for a bag of chips, 50 cents for a soda) in the teachers lounge who would get you what you want if you gave them the money. Then in high school we had them in the cafeteria accessible to the students to freely use (but of course it was filled with poptarts and $1 sodas).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or