U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-25-2019, 08:08 AM

3,850 posts, read 3,943,920 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foamposite View Post
I'm in Germany right now (Berlin) and there is unhealthy food and drink everywhere. Yet I don't see many visibly overweight people.

People also aren't big on single use plastic water bottles here, which is a good thing.
More protein (meat) and plant fiber in their diet.
A lot of people in the US still have an outdated view of a healthy diet based on the false food pyramid they taught back in the day. Sugar is not nearly as bad for your weight compared to all of the processed grains for example. A lot of people also think eggs, meat, especially animal fat, is bad... In reality, eating cereal for breakfast is probably one of the worst things you can do, might as well pound vodka if you're there. The old food pyramid really lead to the obesity epidemic, promoting carb-loaded foods early in the morning with "heavy" breakfasts.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-25-2019, 08:12 AM

2,215 posts, read 690,839 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gantz View Post
A lot of people in the US still have an outdated view of a healthy diet based on the false food pyramid they taught back in the day. Sugar is not nearly as bad for your weight compared to all of the processed grains for example. Eating cereal for breakfast is probably one of the worst things you can do, might as well pound vodka if you're there.
Smaller portions too probably. Though, the restaurant portions here are pretty similar to what I see in the US.
And that makes sense because everyone drank coca cola back in the day, yet obesity was uncommon.

Old 09-25-2019, 08:21 AM

Quote:
Smaller portions too probably. Though, the restaurant portions here are pretty similar to what I see in the US.
And that makes sense because everyone drank coca cola back in the day, yet obesity was uncommon.
Sugar by itself is not enough to make most people obese. You have to be drinking like 10 cans a day, everyday. The problem is the diet of bread + sugar. Bleached white bread, breaded chicken, chips, French fries, and frozen pizza that has heavy crust made out of processed grain are infinitely worse than chocolate milk.

Old 09-25-2019, 10:33 AM

749 posts, read 258,460 times
Quote:
I'm in Germany right now (Berlin) and there is unhealthy food and drink everywhere. Yet I don't see many visibly overweight people.

People also aren't big on single use plastic water bottles here, which is a good thing.
Obesity is an American disease .

Old 09-25-2019, 02:07 PM

22,793 posts, read 24,214,930 times
Quote:
Yes the lunches should be healthy, but I really don't think chocolate milk is a big issue. The ultra liberals seem to think that kids should not have anything that doesn't align with their health nut views.

What's next, will they push veganism on kids?
I don't see how getting rid of really sugary chocolate milk, or really sugary anything, as part of public school lunches is ultra liberal anything. People, including people across the political spectrum, can have pretty divergent views on nutrition. I think someone trying to push a juice cleanse diet on school kids would be nuts, but I think if it's pretty well within bounds of established nutritional science as we know now rather than something that has heavy disagreement is probably a pretty adequate middle track and there is a lot of general consensus on large intakes of sugar and obesity among other health issues.

Quote:
Back in the day, depending on how far back, people's total consumption of added sugars was generally lower and there was arguably a somewhat more active lifestyle on average though I don't know how far back in the day you're going.

Quote:
Sugar by itself is not enough to make most people obese. You have to be drinking like 10 cans a day, everyday. The problem is the diet of bread + sugar. Bleached white bread, breaded chicken, chips, French fries, and frozen pizza that has heavy crust made out of processed grain are infinitely worse than chocolate milk.
I think the odd thing with processed grains is that East Asian societies eat a hell of a lot of polished white rice or wheat products as snacks and for meals and yet have fairly low obesity rates overall. There's probably a lot of things going on at once. Certainly the portions in the US are also generally much bigger and a lot of the US by default lives a pretty sedentary lifestyle where there's pretty little walking compared to people in East Asia and Europe including developed East Asian and European countries.

Old 09-25-2019, 02:31 PM

8,371 posts, read 3,716,642 times
Quote:
A lot of people in the US still have an outdated view of a healthy diet based on the false food pyramid they taught back in the day. Sugar is not nearly as bad for your weight compared to all of the processed grains for example. A lot of people also think eggs, meat, especially animal fat, is bad... In reality, eating cereal for breakfast is probably one of the worst things you can do, might as well pound vodka if you're there. The old food pyramid really lead to the obesity epidemic, promoting carb-loaded foods early in the morning with "heavy" breakfasts.
You mean eating "sugary" cereal is probably one of the worst things you can do.

Old 09-25-2019, 02:33 PM

7,596 posts, read 6,071,220 times
Quote:
No fun allowed!

Kids should live like robots and only eat/drink what authoritarian liberals tell them to

Their mothers drink cups and cups of sugary coffee, but because each costs $10 they don't notice the sugar. And they cap it with all of those pastries that those coffee shops sell.

Folks are followers. 30 years ago fat was bad and now sugar is the demon. And yes kids drank far more Coke in the 60s and they weren't as fat.

When fat/salt became bad the processed foods were loaded with sugar. That is the cause of the problem.

Another fad is the "plant based food" nonsense. Often when folks cut the animal protein they then load with carbs because seriously eating "grass, seeds, and leaves" isn't that much fun.

And while cows might fart, adding carbon emissions, plants gobble down water resources, which are becoming more and more scarce. Why do folks think that waves and waves of Guatemalans are now "refugees" even as crime rates are lower than before? Droughts killing their crops!

Old 09-25-2019, 02:36 PM

21,734 posts, read 14,409,788 times
Quote:

In most European and other cultures there is a thing about being in control of oneself. This includes all lusts, wants, etc.... As such French, German, and others from basically toddlers are taught to restraint. This translates into not constantly snacking all the time, and eating moderate portions of food.

Some of this can of course few nations are like the United States post WWII with an abundance (some would say over abundance) of cheap food.

Americans eat far too much garbage and do so too often, which leads to obesity.

Was on the "Q" train several weeks ago and this really fat young woman got on at 72nd; we're talking even her face was so fat her nose was "sinking" into it to point it was difficult for her glasses to rest on bridge.

Soon as she got on train reaches into a packed Mikey D's bag, grabs a huge burger and begins chowing down as if she hadn't seen a meal in days. Judging how that bag was still full my guess there was one, two or more burgers (and maybe several helpings of fries) still inside.

Concept of "all you can eat" buffet was invented by and largely exists in USA. That should tell you something.

Yes, some of it is genetics, and or related to sex (females tend to put on weight especially if they've had children), but still the obesity epidemic in USA has been going on post WWII.

Interestingly in Asian, South American and other nations where American conglomerates such as Mikey D's, Cocoa Cola, and others have made inroads pushing their wares, obesity rates have sharply risen.

In short the fast food/western diet that is killing Americans is being exported: https://foodtank.com/news/2013/08/we...d-diabetes-sk/

https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/...ty-nestle.html

Old 09-25-2019, 02:40 PM

8,371 posts, read 3,716,642 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BugsyPal View Post
In most European and other cultures there is a thing about being in control of oneself. This includes all lusts, wants, etc.... As such French, German, and others from basically toddlers are taught to restraint. This translates into not constantly snacking all the time, and eating moderate portions of food.

Some of this can of course few nations are like the United States post WWII with an abundance (some would say over abundance) of cheap food.

Americans eat far too much garbage and do so too often, which leads to obesity.

Was on the "Q" train several weeks ago and this really fat young woman got on at 72nd; we're talking even her face was so fat her nose was "sinking" into it to point it was difficult for her glasses to rest on bridge.

Soon as she got on train reaches into a packed Mikey D's bag, grabs a huge burger and begins chowing down as if she hadn't seen a meal in days. Judging how that bag was still full my guess there was one, two or more burgers (and maybe several helpings of fries) still inside.

Concept of "all you can eat" buffet was invented by and largely exists in USA. That should tell you something.

Yes, some of it is genetics, and or related to sex (females tend to put on weight especially if they've had children), but still the obesity epidemic in USA has been going on post WWII.

Interestingly in Asian, South American and other nations where American conglomerates such as Mikey D's, Cocoa Cola, and others have made inroads pushing their wares, obesity rates have sharply risen.

In short the fast food/western diet that is killing Americans is being exported: https://foodtank.com/news/2013/08/we...d-diabetes-sk/

https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/...ty-nestle.html
Very true... One thing I have "imported" during my time living in Italy was I still have a "European breakfast" which consists of an espresso, and or a yogurt or organic fruit. On occasion, I will cook brunch on the weekends, but eggs, and bacon and those things are done only a few times a year and they are made at home. Bacon is put in the oven (a few strips - not a whole pack of bacon), and if I have bread with it, it is always wheat bread and organic at that. I really focus on organic as much as possible. The less processed the better. I LOVE things like french fries, but I make mine in the oven at home, and it's a regular portion size. Much healthier that way. Small amount of olive oil with sea salt and that is it.

Old 09-25-2019, 02:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pierrepont7731 View Post
You mean eating "sugary" cereal is probably one of the worst things you can do.
No, almost all cereals are bad because of their carb content, not sugar. Anything made with enriched (white wheat) flour, corn, or oat grain is just bad, especially when it comes to weight/obesity, and this covers the vast majority of cereals eaten by Americans. And to double down, these are eaten during breakfast time, which is probably one of the worst times to eat carbs anyway. Most of the dietary advice they taught up until like 2000s is just bad.
Leading cause of the obesity epidemic is somehow a large portion of people are convinced that:
- meat fat is unhealthier than carbs/bread
- salt is worse than sugar
- breakfast is the most important meal of the day
- you should be eating 3 full meals a day
- being hungry or 'starving' is bad for you
^If you follow this advice, your diet will lead to obesity. It is also all completely false.
Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
I think the odd thing with processed grains is that East Asian societies eat a hell of a lot of polished white rice or wheat products as snacks and for meals and yet have fairly low obesity rates overall. There's probably a lot of things going on at once. Certainly the portions in the US are also generally much bigger and a lot of the US by default lives a pretty sedentary lifestyle where there's pretty little walking compared to people in East Asia and Europe including developed East Asian and European countries.
Actually, wheat/bread products are not that common in the day to day diet, compared to, for example American burger buns or sandwiches, breaded meat, or fries. Also, fatty meats are a lot more valued and eaten a lot more often. Things like eggs, pork belly, melted pork fat, or fatty beef are valued (for example, Kobe beef is literally the fattiest type of beef you can get and it doesn't even taste like meat, as the fat melts in your mouth). A lot more vegetable content in the diet as well. In short, American diet is carbs + sugar, while proper diet should be protein + vegetables. If your diet is already good, supplementing up to 1/4 of your calories with carbs such as rice or potatoes will still keep you skinny. A common phenomenon nowadays is "beer gut", when it should be properly called "carb gut".

Last edited by Gantz; 09-25-2019 at 03:11 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or