U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old Yesterday, 05:50 AM

3 posts, read 485 times

Advertisements

Hi all!

I am renting apartment in high rise, the building offers a lot of luxe amenities but Iím new to the place. I bought a good quality dimmer switch from Home Depot and wanted to know if itís appropriate if I send a maintenance request to ask if one of the building maintenance guys would install it for me. I donít want to come off as rude or annoying as I heard dimmers are easy to install. The staff seem wonderful but i asked my boyfriend and he suggested having them do it so not liable for any potential electrical problems. Heís always unhelpful with these sort of things, which sucks but thatís a different issue for another time lol

Oh and also, is building responsible if some outlets arenít working? I could lump both issues into request if so and it may look less frivolous. Thanks in advance
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old Yesterday, 06:08 AM

21,791 posts, read 28,872,211 times
Yes, building is responsible for providing working electrical outlets.
Dimmer installation is your responsibility but if being done at the same time as replacing non-working outlets, there is prob avbly going to be no charge.

If handyman or electrician installs your dimmer gratis, a $5 tip might be appreciated.

Boyfriend sounds dispensable.

Old Yesterday, 06:10 AM

6,640 posts, read 3,710,364 times
Assuming it’s a standard type of dimmer it would take 5-10 minutes to install. I agree that you’d want to try and get both done at the same time.

Old Yesterday, 06:45 AM

2,314 posts, read 697,560 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Newbury17 View Post
i asked my boyfriend and he suggested having them do it so not liable for any potential electrical problems. Heís always unhelpful with these sort of things, which sucks but thatís a different issue for another time lol
Back in the day it wouldn't be an issue but landlords are to quick to blame tenants for any negative side effects from apartment customization of any kind these days. I'm not allowed to fix anything electric in the apartment the owner said we'll all get into trouble including him. You are going to always have to ask maintenance for help. If there's plumbing work done and it's shoddy they will immediately ask for the license # because apparently the city keeps track of that stuff. So don't even try to fix a minor leak by yourself. If it's urgent however you can hire someone license and insured from the outside.

Your boyfriend is right. Don't touch anything behind a wall, don't repaint, rip up tile, baseboards or anything that's not purely cosmetic. At the end of the day it's not a Condo or Co-OP it's not your property.

Old Yesterday, 06:53 AM

234 posts, read 102,657 times
You could ask off the record for someone to install it after hours and pay them for their time but they aren't going to customize your rental and you will probably get in trouble for asking. This would be very different if you were living in a smaller building where you don't have layers of service staff and corporate oversight.

Anything broken should be reported immediately and the management company is responsible for fixing it.

Old Yesterday, 07:08 AM

4,368 posts, read 1,156,400 times
Opinion:
Dimmer switches come in many varieties theses days.
Confirm that the dimmer switch is capable of handling your lighting needs.
The standard dimmer switch for incandescent lighting ( standard 2 prong bulb ) is one type.
Other types of dimmers are made specifically for LED bulbs in addition LED bulbs
will need to be changed as well since standard led bulbs will not work.

All that aside I am in agreement with the other posts.
A simple replacement ( switch may run a little tight in the box ) with slight annoyances plus a good tip and problem solved.

Old Yesterday, 09:10 AM

717 posts, read 250,024 times
I would have suggested to install it yourself as its very easy to do so but since you are renting I wouldn't touch it.

What type of light base connection are you trying to dim?
for example E26? E12? T9?

If it is a standard E26 medium base bulb thats common then I would just get a smart bulb and control it through an AI like Google home or Alexa or app. Smart bulbs last 10 years plus too. (I haven't changed a standard bulb in my moms place in over 10 years, cant say the same for that dumb T9 circleline bulb though as it seems of dim after 2 years then blow on year 4). Smart bulbs can also change the light warmth from that old yellow color to the office daylight white color, even that bluish white if that's your thing .

If its those E17 Candelabra base ones then smart bulb choices will be limited along the lines of Philips Hue which can be costly but they will last for more than 10 years.

Old Yesterday, 10:24 AM

3 posts, read 485 times
Thank you all for the helpful advice and bringing up points that I hadn’t considered. Building is corporately owned and strict w policies. My lease is very specific and dimmer switch may fall under ‘the do not alter anything ’ clause. Dimming bathroom lighting probably isn’t worth a fine/citation so early in my lease. Maybe I’ll ask the maintenance guy what he thinks when I get nonfunctional electrical outlets looked at. Glad I kept the receipt and asked!

Old Yesterday, 02:07 PM

21,666 posts, read 14,364,926 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Newbury17 View Post
Thank you all for the helpful advice and bringing up points that I hadnít considered. Building is corporately owned and strict w policies. My lease is very specific and dimmer switch may fall under Ďthe do not alter anything í clause. Dimming bathroom lighting probably isnít worth a fine/citation so early in my lease. Maybe Iíll ask the maintenance guy what he thinks when I get nonfunctional electrical outlets looked at. Glad I kept the receipt and asked!
It is pretty standard boilerplate rental law that tenants are *not* permitted to mess with landlords property. Plumbing, electrical work, gas, etc..... Doing so can easily violate terms of a lease and depending upon whatever was done cause serious consequences and repercussions.

Unless LL gives consent (in writing) it is best to leave such things alone.

Old Yesterday, 03:18 PM

6,640 posts, read 3,710,364 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoullessOne View Post
I would have suggested to install it yourself as its very easy to do so but since you are renting I wouldn't touch it.

What type of light base connection are you trying to dim?
for example E26? E12? T9?

If it is a standard E26 medium base bulb thats common then I would just get a smart bulb and control it through an AI like Google home or Alexa or app. Smart bulbs last 10 years plus too. (I haven't changed a standard bulb in my moms place in over 10 years, cant say the same for that dumb T9 circleline bulb though as it seems of dim after 2 years then blow on year 4). Smart bulbs can also change the light warmth from that old yellow color to the office daylight white color, even that bluish white if that's your thing .

If its those E17 Candelabra base ones then smart bulb choices will be limited along the lines of Philips Hue which can be costly but they will last for more than 10 years.
That's a good idea - smart bulbs. And if you move they move with you.

Not as cheap as a dimmer but you won't be "altering" anything.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or