U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old Today, 01:57 PM

8,489 posts, read 6,478,069 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by vision33r View Post
Why Is Bill De Blasio Trying to Kill Me? New York’s Mayor Claims to Be Progressive but Favors Drivers Over Bicyclists.

Pretty good article that sums up precisely the problem why so many cyclists die this year. Reason why I don't bike and have to be extra careful walking as a pedestrian. The bottom line is that pedestrian, cyclists, drivers are all competing against each other for less and less street and road space. The traffic is horrible and many drivers are becoming too impatient on the roads. Toss in another 10,000 uber drivers on the road and you have grid lock.
This ninny would complain about everything. De Blasio is a bozo but one of his obsessions is bike lanes and he's been putting them everywhere which I hate, and I am a cyclist. If he thinks De Bozo is bad I can't imagine what he would say if any other mayor were in charge
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old Today, 02:17 PM

13,419 posts, read 9,085,675 times
The policing is awful and you can't expect NYC to police bike lane laws at all times but DeBlasio keeps pushing for biking and setting expectations that it is a bike friendly city.

Old Today, 02:37 PM

8,489 posts, read 6,478,069 times
Cyclists are WAY way WAY more reckless than drivers in NYC. The difference is when incidents happen between cars and bikes the injuries are very serious, whereas incidents between bikes and pedestrians are not as life threatening.

The reason I hate the protected bike lanes is that they are not protecting anything. Cars still have to turn into the lanes at intersections and pedestrians still step in front of the bikes. The only real legitimate protected bike lane in the city is across the Williamsburg bridge and it's fantastic. It would be great if that were possible across the city but it's not, so I say let cyclists ride in the street like they always have

Old Today, 06:29 PM

20,272 posts, read 35,273,241 times
Ha

Try riding on NYC streets in the 1980s without bike lanes

Watch them potholes

Hahahahaha

Man, smh for real

Car fumes were more awful back then too

Thats back when bike messengers were feared too, back in the day, if u was a bike messenger everybody knew you took no crap. Not saying that its not like that now but the climate has changed, just as everything else.

with that being said I have never rode a bicycle in Manhattan

Forum TOS: http://www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old Today, 07:18 PM

134 posts, read 44,226 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeventhFloor View Post
Ha

Try riding on NYC streets in the 1980s without bike lanes

Watch them potholes

Hahahahaha

Man, smh for real

Car fumes were more awful back then too

Thats back when bike messengers were feared too, back in the day, if u was a bike messenger everybody knew you took no crap. Not saying that its not like that now but the climate has changed, just as everything else.

with that being said I have never rode a bicycle in Manhattan
Wasn't it legal to ride bikes on sidewalks in the 80s?

Old Today, 07:30 PM

22,700 posts, read 24,168,327 times
They need to make more delivery and livery zones and crack down hard on double parking. Uber and Lyft can be relatively easy to geofence. That'll probably solve a huge amount of both traffic issues and bike accidents.

Old Today, 08:00 PM

20,272 posts, read 35,273,241 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Honda718 View Post
Wasn't it legal to ride bikes on sidewalks in the 80s?
I dont know, as a child I rode on the sidewalk, but as a teenager I rode in the street

Forum TOS: http://www.city-data.com/forumtos.html
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or