Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-10-2016, 02:54 PM

10 posts, read 17,440 times

Advertisements

I'm moving to Brooklyn with my wife to pursue a residency at Wyckoff Hospital. I would be getting paid about 60k pre taxes and my wife does not have a job lined up. I'm assuming that we will be living off whatever I get paid.

We have two cars and we plan to drop one of them with out relatives in California and drive (with whatever stuff that fits in the small car) to Brooklyn. Neither of has lived in New York before and are worried looking at the rents, parking costs and car insurance costs. We are open to selling our car once we get there to avoid the parking costs.

For those who have done this move or have lived in Brooklyn, please share your views if Bushwick is a safe place to live or what other areas should I look at from where I can get a train to Wyckoff hospital?

THanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-10-2016, 07:04 PM

1,510 posts, read 1,006,500 times
I've never lived in Bushwick but I'm somewhat familiar with that area and I have never had any safety issues when over there. A good tool would be this sticky thread NYC Safety Maps.

As far as public transportation goes, the L train stops right by your job plus the M is a little farther. Again, I've never live in Bushwick but if I were you I would make sure I live close to the L.

I'm not familiar with the availability of street parking in that area but I would work off the assumption that it's next to non-existent. You don't need a car in NY but I 'd say keep one car for now until you figure out your hours/rotations as I know the L has major issues on the weekends & late nights. Depending on the type of vehicle and your driving history, insurance costs might not be too bad. Please check with the hospital if they offer subsidized housing similar to SUNY Downstate.

Sorry I couldn't you further.

Old 02-10-2016, 07:44 PM

402 posts, read 518,694 times
I am not a fan of the area surrounding Wyckoff (my mom was a principal of a school very near to here) but i would suggest looking at apartments around the Montrose Ave stop. The area is pretty decent and its generally safe. Also, i would suggest looking into Ridgewood, Queens. The rents are affordable there and crime isnt too bad.

Old 02-10-2016, 08:04 PM

158 posts, read 138,990 times
Bushwick is a neighborhood undergoing gentrification. It used to be terrible in terms of safety but has gotten a lot better in recent years. You should be fine living there as long as you have some basic street smarts.

Another option for you is Ridgewood, just across the Brooklyn-Queens border from Bushwick. Ridgewood is a much safer and nicer neighborhood and probably a little cheaper too. You would still have an easy commute if you live near the M line.

Old 02-10-2016, 08:10 PM

12,340 posts, read 26,132,425 times
I was going to suggest Ridgewood as well.

Old 02-10-2016, 08:26 PM

2,498 posts, read 3,774,156 times
75% of the people on this board dont live, never visited, dont know anyone from bushwick or the area. Keep that in mind please.

I happen to live off of the M/L train stop of Myrtle Wycoff for the past 5yrs, was in park slope before that and bushwick projects before that, in other words im born and raise here and familiar with the area. You can walk from myrtle wycoff stop to the hosipital (dekalb on the L) in 8/10mins, which is great in case the trains dont work.

The area has already undergone so many changes for better or worse depending how you view things. Safety you and your wife shouldnt have any issues at all. This is not 1980's/1990's which some people still like to think of this area of bushwick as being dangerous, i have to lol all the time on this board.

You wont need a car as you can always rent one if you really need to go somewhere. Your salary could still get you a nice apt BUT if sticking to the L the more east you go from myrtle wycoff stop the cheaper places are AND does get a bit sketchy. I know someone who worked in that hospital for 4yrs until dec that lived off the L stop Bushwick/Aberdeen stop.

Alot of people on this forum are afraid of areas where whites (gentrification) arent the majority and stick to old beliefs, graphs, and no experience so please be very cautious. Think about it this way can anyone who reads medical websites, statistics actually know what its like to be a doctor, i dont think so.

Take a few days off and come down to visit the areas and do some extensive walking you will see its a great area and make your own decision of what feels right compared to a complete stranger who think they know it all cause they read websites online.

Last edited by bmwguydc; 02-12-2016 at 07:13 PM.. Reason: No soliciting business on the forum

Old 02-11-2016, 07:09 AM

25,368 posts, read 37,073,996 times
How about Manhattan around 14th between First and third Aves. (L train stops.)
Is that too pricey? (Hard to believe that doctors cannot afford to live in decent areas anymore. Do you need to be a hedge fund operator to get a 1 bedroom walkup?)

Lose the car. In NYC, they are like a millstone around your neck (to get biblical.)

edit: Just read about the L train multi-year shutown...stay in California if that is an option. Or live between the hospital and the M-train stop.

Last edited by Kefir King; 02-11-2016 at 07:40 AM..

Old 02-11-2016, 12:21 PM

5,301 posts, read 6,179,553 times
There are plenty of job openings in the city. If your wife has a mind to work, she can find employment. That will help with family finances.

I'm curious as to why you chose to do a residency so far away from CA? Is it the lure of "big apple" living? Surely, you've been offered residencies in other locations where it is much cheaper to live and you can both have cars and have enough salary left over for some luxuries.

Old 02-13-2016, 09:58 AM

86 posts, read 119,725 times
Default turning liberalish

Alot of people on this forum are afraid of areas where whites (gentrification) arent the majority and stick to old beliefs, graphs, and no experience so please be very cautious. Think about it this way can anyone who reads medical websites, statistics actually know what its like to be a doctor, i dont think so.

Silverbull. ....what are you talking about? Bushwick has predominantly been a black/spanish area for many years. Bushwick never had many whites living in it. Gentrification really means when more liberals with money move into the area and the area becomes highly expensive to even live in. The liberals are the ones who are killing all of the fun in nyc. They are the ones that think eating meat is dangerous, fire crackers are for the devil and they refuse to go into any mom and pop stores and if they do go into the mom and pop stores, the stores end up changing to cater to those disgusting liberals. The liberals live off of their parents money or they will live 3 people in a small ass apartment to afford the rent while they smoke weed all day long. This is gentrification. ....why do you think that there are Starbucks and health food stores on every single corner nowadays? Because these stores are catering to liberals!

Old 02-13-2016, 10:11 AM

11,445 posts, read 10,481,607 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bnc62683 View Post

Silverbull. ....what are you talking about? Bushwick has predominantly been a black/spanish area for many years. Bushwick never had many whites living in it. Gentrification really means when more liberals with money move into the area and the area becomes highly expensive to even live in. The liberals are the ones who are killing all of the fun in nyc. They are the ones that think eating meat is dangerous, fire crackers are for the devil and they refuse to go into any mom and pop stores and if they do go into the mom and pop stores, the stores end up changing to cater to those disgusting liberals. The liberals live off of their parents money or they will live 3 people in a small ass apartment to afford the rent while they smoke weed all day long. This is gentrification. ....why do you think that there are Starbucks and health food stores on every single corner nowadays? Because these stores are catering to liberals!
what the hell does this have to do with liberals?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: