U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-28-2019, 05:08 PM

2,331 posts, read 705,524 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Retired View Post
Opnion:

I hope you vetted all your neighbors prior to moving in.
Impossible these days.

Someone new moved in on our floor on the opposite side 3 months ago and I still haven't met them.
Quick reply to this message

Old 09-28-2019, 05:34 PM

4,738 posts, read 4,194,099 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by manimgarbage View Post
Give us cross streets and we'll tell you the damage.
yep... all of Harlem isnít bad contrary to city daterer belief

Old 09-28-2019, 05:39 PM

42,788 posts, read 3,278,982 times
Don't go crazy & buy a bunch of stuff, before you know what you need. Check out the thrift stores, you can get a few cheap pots to cook in. Many apartments forbid hanging anything on a wall, so get cheap shelves, or a floor lamp with shelves to display any photos or art you want to see.

Old Yesterday, 04:01 PM

9,779 posts, read 9,500,157 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1NYer View Post
Late bloomer, 30+, moving out my parent's basement into my first apartment in Harlem, what to expect as a first time renter? Also what's the most important things to buy first for my 1br apartment? I know I need a bed and a couch. Also, the rent is too damn high its over $1800 for a 1BR, I know there's cheaper out there.
First, congratulations!

But surely you're the one who knows best what you need to buy. Also, figure out what your parents can provide.

You might consider rugs, though, to be considerate to your neighbors downstairs.

Old Yesterday, 04:04 PM

9,779 posts, read 9,500,157 times
Quote:
Opnion:
Exactly how would you do that?

"Excuse me, sir, I hope you don't mind a total stranger knocking at your door, but I'm wondering if you could tell me if you smoke, if you have dogs that bark or howl, if you have any small children, if you fight with whomever you live, and what kind of music you like and when you play hot?"

Old Yesterday, 08:31 PM

752 posts, read 260,646 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cida View Post
Exactly how would you do that?

"Excuse me, sir, I hope you don't mind a total stranger knocking at your door, but I'm wondering if you could tell me if you smoke, if you have dogs that bark or howl, if you have any small children, if you fight with whomever you live, and what kind of music you like and when you play hot?"
LMFAO!!!

Why do I feel like that's a skit that would be on Seinfeld or Curb your Enthusiasm.

Old Today, 03:47 AM

4,738 posts, read 4,194,099 times
Quote:
Opnion:

I agree

this is apart of the apt selection process...

vet your neighbors and neighborhood

Old Today, 07:43 AM

402 posts, read 224,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HellUpInHarlem View Post
I agree

this is apart of the apt selection process...

vet your neighbors and neighborhood
Neighborhood, yes.

But neighbors...eh. I work. I've had neighbors move in while at work and didn't know. Only realized they lived there when they are chilling in front of the building.

Now if you live in a building that has proper move in and move out hours maybe vetting neighbors can happen. You can stop, have some small talk.

Congrats and best wishes!!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or