Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-24-2019, 08:50 AM

8 posts, read 5,774 times

Advertisements

Late bloomer, 30+, moving out my parent's basement into my first apartment in Harlem, what to expect as a first time renter? Also what's the most important things to buy first for my 1br apartment? I know I need a bed and a couch. Also, the rent is too damn high its over $1800 for a 1BR, I know there's cheaper out there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-24-2019, 09:13 AM

3,882 posts, read 2,215,211 times
Loud neighbors with dogs and smoking

Old 09-24-2019, 09:37 AM

1,486 posts, read 977,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1NYer View Post
Late bloomer, moving into my first apartment in Harlem, what to expect as a first time renter? Also what's the most important things to buy first for my 1br apartment? I know I need a bed and a couch. Also, the rent is too damn high its over $1800 for a 1BR, I know there's cheaper out there.
Ouch! so much ouch here but $1800 for Harlem is reasonable depending on the area.

How late of a bloomer?

As a first time renter the first thing you need to do is know your neighbors. If you are in a good building with nice people get to at least know the people whose apartments are right next to yours, thats left, right, top, bottom, and front. This can save you problems if there are issues with "noise" either from your unit or theirs. Sometimes a simple knock on their door and telling them or being told to keep it down can be better than a 311 call.

As for furniture. The most important thing is a bedroom set (ripoff). Do your measurements and get something that you like and will last. If you can, go for a decent sized bed, 2 night stands and a dresser/chest. If you want to save space get a bed that have a minimum or 4 draws build into the frame then you can forgo the dresser/chest.

Don't be in a rush to furnish unless yo plan of having people over constantly and need a place for them to sit. when I moved I slept on an air mattress for the first few months while I saved for my mattress I even lived out of boxes for the first year and never bothered to furnish the dining area.

Remember to build vertically if space is limited.

Inspect and take pictures of everything before you move in and I do mean EVERYTHING! You do not want to be blamed for something that was there before you moved in like a crack in the wall.

Check with the LL and ask if the place was entermeted for bedbugs and roaches and or mice.

Check all pipe entrances and make sure they are sealed. Under the kitchen sink, behind the toilet, under the bathroom sink, shower head and the heating system (if you have a radiator).

Make sure the windows open and close properly along with all doors. I may be nitpicking here but if the door frames are hollow metal (including the door to the apartment), make sure they have dust boxes installed behind the strike plate (all it takes is 1 roach to get in that hollow area and it can be a disaster)

Old 09-24-2019, 09:38 AM

192 posts, read 117,227 times
Quote:
Late bloomer, 30+, moving out my parent's basement into my first apartment in Harlem, what to expect as a first time renter? Also what's the most important things to buy first for my 1br apartment? I know I need a bed and a couch. Also, the rent is too damn high its over $1800 for a 1BR, I know there's cheaper out there.
1800 is pretty average. Harlem is huge. and very different depending where you live. Morningside and east harlem could be on different planets of how different they are.

Old 09-24-2019, 12:59 PM

450 posts, read 471,971 times
Give us cross streets and we'll tell you the damage.

Old 09-28-2019, 12:12 AM

36,958 posts, read 38,958,719 times
If you have a car, ditch it since $1800 rent is painful for you, a car will be a disaster. A crockpot or some such might be a good idea and try to be diligent about preparing food in advance. If you were living in a situation where your parents cooked and clean, then realize that that is actually a significant amount of work and potentially cost so bone up on these things using the magic of the internet. Eating out all the time will be expensive and probably not that great for you.

Old 09-28-2019, 06:42 AM

15,909 posts, read 6,698,048 times
Quote:
Opnion:

I hope you vetted all your neighbors prior to moving in.

Old 09-28-2019, 06:51 AM

2,298 posts, read 1,126,571 times
$1800/month sounds cheap for Manhattan. Put good strong locks on your apartment, very important. I recommend Medeco Locks. They aren't cheap but are considered pick-proof. I installed Medeco locks in my house 20 years ago, never had an problem with them. Only a licensed locksmith who is a Medeco dealer can install them. Even though you've already moved in, check the crime stats for your precinct at the link below. Home Goods and even TJ Maxx are a good places to buy housewares, bathroom and kitchen items. My house is full of stuff from HomeGoods. GOOD LUCK!!

Crime Stats - https://www1.nyc.gov/site/nypd/stats...page#manhattan

HomeGoods - https://www.homegoods.com/

TJ Maxx - https://tjmaxx.tjx.com/store/index.jsp

Medeco - https://www.medeco.com/en/products/d...tialdeadbolt1/

Old 09-28-2019, 07:16 AM

63 posts, read 30,690 times
As someone who has moved numerous times especially in my twenties and thirties, my advice would be to purchase LIGHTWEIGHT furniture. So much easier to deal with. A platform bed with a bed in the box mattress (Tuft & Needle makes a very comfortable, relatively inexpensive one).

So much easier to move for cleaning behind. Not to mention the back-saving benefit when moving up and down stairs.

Old 09-28-2019, 08:36 AM

1,486 posts, read 977,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dfc99 View Post
$1800/month sounds cheap for Manhattan. Put good strong locks on your apartment, very important. I recommend Medeco Locks. They aren't cheap but are considered pick-proof. I installed Medeco locks in my house 20 years ago, never had an problem with them. Only a licensed locksmith who is a Medeco dealer can install them. Even though you've already moved in, check the crime stats for your precinct at the link below. Home Goods and even TJ Maxx are a good places to buy housewares, bathroom and kitchen items. My house is full of stuff from HomeGoods. GOOD LUCK!!

Crime Stats - https://www1.nyc.gov/site/nypd/stats...page#manhattan

HomeGoods - https://www.homegoods.com/

TJ Maxx - https://tjmaxx.tjx.com/store/index.jsp

Medeco - https://www.medeco.com/en/products/d...tialdeadbolt1/
Installing locks on an apartment door and a hose door are 2 different things. Chances are the house door is wood but 99% of the times the apartment door is metal. The only thing the OP can do is change the lock cylinder, very easy to do with a simple screw driver
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: