U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old Today, 09:22 AM

15 posts, read 5,358 times

Advertisements

I have never seen so few housing lotteries available on the website. How do we find out about upcoming lotteries? I thought we were supposed to have a major influx of new housing lotteries for the next few years.

Any thoughts or ideas?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old Today, 09:59 AM

720 posts, read 250,024 times
Normally the lotteries open up during construction and when construction is nearly competed all spots are filled. I gave up on Housing Connect. It failed me so many times with these lotteries giving me cookie cutter responses "you make too little to be approved" or "you make too much to be approved".

Th only thing I can suggest is to keep checking the site weekly to see if new things pop up nd remember to always update your information (income, phone number, email address, etc) every time you apply.

Old Today, 11:01 AM

62 posts, read 37,398 times
First and foremost you need to realize the majority of these lotteries are a scam. They aren't really all that affordable. They cater to the very poor and very wealthy. Somebody, somewhere (cough developer cough) is getting kick backs. Example: Max salary 35k, need family of ten, rent is 2.5k/month. I'm no rocket scientist but the numbers don't add up. Whoever (if anyone) gets that place has to be heavily subsidized by the welfare state. Furthermore, new construction is so sh*t it's not even funny. Pretty evident it's been pieced together by no skill illegals working minimum wage for cash. The blue section of housing connect is utter trash and extremely fake.

The orange section is where it's at. Good luck hitting that lottery tho. You have a better chance getting struck by lightning while being bitten by a shark in outer space. Having said that, I know of two family's who hit this lottery. One waited 17 years, the other 15. It's a waiting game especially when you have 50k people applying for 50 apartments.

Personally I've been playing the game for both the blue and orange section for about 8 years. Zero results. I'm happy if I get a list number, even if it's 30k.

Old Today, 11:12 AM

123 posts, read 22,084 times
Taxpayers, market rate tenants and NYC homeowners are once again the suckers in all this, paying for all these subsidies. My property taxes go up every year. One day the money will run out and it will all come crashing down, just like it did in 1975.

Old Today, 11:16 AM

1,961 posts, read 1,340,110 times
Also, with the new law now allowing illegals and people with poor credit to qualify, it got even harder to land a spot. Better to just try and make more money or leave the city.

Old Today, 11:55 AM

720 posts, read 250,024 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by manimgarbage View Post
First and foremost you need to realize the majority of these lotteries are a scam. They aren't really all that affordable. They cater to the very poor and very wealthy. Somebody, somewhere (cough developer cough) is getting kick backs. Example: Max salary 35k, need family of ten, rent is 2.5k/month. I'm no rocket scientist but the numbers don't add up. Whoever (if anyone) gets that place has to be heavily subsidized by the welfare state. Furthermore, new construction is so sh*t it's not even funny. Pretty evident it's been pieced together by no skill illegals working minimum wage for cash. The blue section of housing connect is utter trash and extremely fake.

The orange section is where it's at. Good luck hitting that lottery tho. You have a better chance getting struck by lightning while being bitten by a shark in outer space. Having said that, I know of two family's who hit this lottery. One waited 17 years, the other 15. It's a waiting game especially when you have 50k people applying for 50 apartments.

Personally I've been playing the game for both the blue and orange section for about 8 years. Zero results. I'm happy if I get a list number, even if it's 30k.
Im going to guess the Blue section is the (un)Affordable Housing and the orange is the Mitchell-Lama .

Good luck with these:
https://a806-housingconnect.nyc.gov/...rrent-projects

You will need way more luck with these:
https://a806-housingconnect.nyc.gov/...ml#ml-waitlist

Old Today, 03:53 PM

21,673 posts, read 14,364,926 times
Much of new "affordable/low income" housing of late was planned and constructed a year or years ago, and certainly before last June when new rent control laws were passed.

Developers are most certainly rethinking projects in light of changes brought about by new RC laws. There are some projects that have been going back and forth with various approvals which still haven't begun, but going forward have only seen mentioned barely a handful of anything new.

Bottom line is the new RS law and tone in Albany and city pretty much screws LLs. They won't ever be able to get rid of RS tenants, and thus their building will forever be subject to interference from Albany or city into their affairs.

City has lowered the bar right down to the ground in terms of tenants for these lottery apartments (homeless, low to nil credit scores, suspect backgrounds, etc...) which *may* give those looking at market rate units pause.

Finally you have to consider there has been a RE boom for nearly two decades with tons of product going up, and more still coming on line (to be completed). Market rate units are glutting many areas of city which can force down rents.

Market rate rents are also rising, which can only go but so far because those who earn (and don't need anyone to carry them) have other options for housing. They can (and have) chosen to simply buy a house in the suburbs, and or otherwise move out of city in search of a better deal on housing.

Without market rate tenants none of these "affordable" housing schemes make sense unless they are done by non-profits and or receive deep incentives from state/city.

There is also a glut of high end to luxury condos. Many of those units are being purchased and rented out. This puts them into direct competition with rental buildings.

New York real estate has gone through many boom and bust cycles. When the bust happens developers/landlords often are left holding the bag (if not the banks/financiers). Everyone is loathe to go down that rabbit hole again.

Old Today, 04:19 PM

1,153 posts, read 597,785 times
"They won't ever be able to get rid of RS tenants"

They're not supposed to be able to, unless the RS tenants breach their contracts. The whole point of rent stabilization is the right to a renewal at a fixed rent increase. If you bought a property intending to illegally run out RS tenants, then you deserve to lose every dime you do.

Old Today, 04:24 PM

249 posts, read 214,514 times
I was wondering about this as well. It seemed the past 2-3 years there has been so many new construction buildings that had affordable housing units on the website - housing connect. But this past year there have been so few new ones becoming available. I haven’t been following the new guidelines but I assumed that if they lowered the bar on who could be acceptable for a unit they would give more incentives to the landlords. If that doesn’t happen it is less likely that a landlord would want to accept lower income residents. So that just results in fewer units available. It kinda feels like NY wants to pretend to offer more affordable units but in reality NY wants to be more exclusive by making it so landlords have less incentives to accept low income residents.

Old Today, 04:42 PM

21,673 posts, read 14,364,926 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by randomperson2 View Post
"They won't ever be able to get rid of RS tenants"

They're not supposed to be able to, unless the RS tenants breach their contracts. The whole point of rent stabilization is the right to a renewal at a fixed rent increase. If you bought a property intending to illegally run out RS tenants, then you deserve to lose every dime you do.
That isn't what one meant.

At least prior to new rent control laws there was hope of luxury decontrol (for buildings that weren't contractually bound to "permanent" affordable housing) and a few other things now taken off the table.

Worse new RS laws were retroactively applied to a host of J-51 and other properties where LL's were told and or assumed that once they did their time (tax abatement expired), RS units could revert to market rate (again subject to any contractual agreement for permanent affordable). Now those LLs are looking at entire buildings of RS units were the valid (and legal) assumption was that one day they would return to market rate, again taken off the table.

You want your head examined to get into bed with city or state going forward to build "affordable" or whatever after the double cross pulled by Albany. The humping you're getting is simply not worth the humping you're getting.

What Albany and city are doing is forcing private LL's into social service agencies. It remains to be seen going forward how many developers/LL's will take that bait.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or