U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old Yesterday, 10:59 AM

75 posts, read 264,635 times

Advertisements

Hello,

I recently leased a vehicle in NJ and it already had an inspection sticker given by the dealer. According to this:

https://dmv.ny.gov/inspection/inspection-requirements

I don't have to inspect my car for another year since it was inspected in NJ with less than a year after I registered it in NY state... Or so i thought.

I received a $100 parking ticket not too long ago in White Plains, NY for not having an inspection sticker.

Did I misread the inspection requirements according to DMV? Did I deserve that inspection sticker?

If not, can someone help me build an argument as to why I shouldn't have received that ticket?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old Yesterday, 11:41 AM

726 posts, read 250,024 times
If you have NY plates you must have an up to date NY inspection sticker.

Where was the vehicle registered previously and was there an inspection sticker on it valid?

Quote:
I have moved to New York and registered my vehicle here
If your vehicle was registered in another state which issues an inspection sticker, you do not need to have your vehicle inspected immediately. Your out-of-state inspection remains valid until it expires or for one year after the registration date, whichever comes first. When your out-of-state inspection expires, you must get a New York State vehicle inspection.
If the previous inspection was performed in a jurisdiction that does not issue an inspection sticker, you must have your vehicle inspected in New York.

Old Yesterday, 12:34 PM

2,263 posts, read 2,073,556 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoullessOne View Post
If you have NY plates you must have an up to date NY inspection sticker.

Where was the vehicle registered previously and was there an inspection sticker on it valid?
That’s apparently not true based on the OP’s link which says:

Quote:
If your vehicle was registered in another state which issues an inspection sticker, you do not need to have your vehicle inspected immediately. Your out-of-state inspection remains valid until it expires or for one year after the registration date, whichever comes first. When your out-of-state inspection expires, you must get a New York State vehicle inspection.
So for the ticket to be valid the NJ sticker must have expired or the car was registered in NY for over a year without a NY inspection. NJ inspections are good for two years so maybe the sticker isn’t expired but it has been registered over a year in NY.

Quote:
Vehicles need to be inspected once every two years in New Jersey, except for new vehicles, which need a five-year inspection.
https://www.state.nj.us/mvc/inspection/aboutinsp.htm

Old Yesterday, 01:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by martinjsxx View Post
Thatís apparently not true based on the OPís link which says:

So for the ticket to be valid the NJ sticker must have expired or the car was registered in NY for over a year without a NY inspection. NJ inspections are good for two years so maybe the sticker isnít expired but it has been registered over a year in NY.

https://www.state.nj.us/mvc/inspection/aboutinsp.htm
Yeah I'm pretty sure I'm right. I can probably win but just sucks I'll have to waste a day in court fighting this.

Old Yesterday, 01:09 PM

Quote:
Your out-of-state inspection remains valid until it expires or for one year after the registration date, whichever comes first. When your out-of-state inspection expires, you must get a New York State vehicle inspection.
The only way to beat the ticket is if the sticker is still valid and the vehicle registration in NYC is under 1 year.

Old Yesterday, 03:54 PM

9,040 posts, read 7,311,346 times
You guys are referring to moving here with a vehicle you already own.

He bought a new one. It needs a NY inspection.

Need help? Click on this: >>> ToS, Mod List, Rules & FAQ's, Guide, CD Home page, How to Search

Old Yesterday, 05:17 PM

2,263 posts, read 2,073,556 times
If the OP is a NY resident and went to NJ to lease a car and then registered it in NY (never having it registered to him in NJ) then he has ten days to get it inspected in NY. We donít know if the OP had it registered first in NJ but letís assume not.

Quote:
We will give (or mail within 1-2 weeks) these documents when you register

<I snipped some non relevant items>

10-day inspection extension sticker (if you did not get the vehicle from a New York State auto dealer)
https://dmv.ny.gov/registration/regi...-title-vehicle

OP, did you get a 10-day inspection extension sticker when you registered it in NY?

Old Yesterday, 07:13 PM

Quote:
If the OP is a NY resident and went to NJ to lease a car and then registered it in NY (never having it registered to him in NJ) then he has ten days to get it inspected in NY. We donít know if the OP had it registered first in NJ but letís assume not.

https://dmv.ny.gov/registration/regi...-title-vehicle

OP, did you get a 10-day inspection extension sticker when you registered it in NY?

This is what's confusing. OP said they got the car in NJ then registered it in NY but the car already had an inspection sticker on it from NJ. When I went to register my car they gave me the 10 day inspection thing too but my car was from NY with a valid inspection sticker so it was ok to leave it as it and just renew the sticker when expired.

Its news to me but I always thought NY plates must have up to date NY inspection sticker, I could be wrong as my experience is only registering 1 car in my life.

Old Yesterday, 10:11 PM

51 posts, read 12,914 times
Once you swap to NY plates, then you need a NY inspection. You have 10 days to do it. Out of state inspection means nothing here.

Old Today, 04:47 AM

Quote:
No I did not.

Also, it was a loaner vehicle that was previously registered by the dealership in the state of NJ. It has an NJ inspection sticker that hasn't expired and then I registered it in NY in April. Maybe I did read it wrong and *I had to have it registered in NJ under my name*.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or