U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old Yesterday, 03:31 PM

929 posts, read 582,190 times

Advertisements

Privately owned corporations should not be getting landmark status anyway. Save that for national, military, or some other public-good oriented site.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old Yesterday, 03:40 PM

11,225 posts, read 9,594,982 times
What happens with the space when the Strand inevitably goes under? Bookstores are a dying business. B&N is barely holding one. Are we going to be stuck with an empy white elephant of a building because no one can alter the interior.

Old Yesterday, 03:40 PM

13,074 posts, read 6,734,483 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gantz View Post
Then those groups lobbying for the landmark status should just buy out the building and landmark it. Its funny when the financial loss is shifted to someone else, everyone is for it, but when it comes time to put up the $$$ for your own ideas, everyone changes their mind.

Old Yesterday, 04:05 PM

6,528 posts, read 6,059,956 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeventhFloor View Post
Wow you guys are some hypocrites

The Strand has no say, they're a tenant
Don't they own the building?

I personally think it should be land marked because our city history is dying. Manhattan soon will all look like midtown but if they own it I can see how they are able to fight it. If they just rent then they need to have a seat.

Old Yesterday, 04:27 PM

11,225 posts, read 9,594,982 times
Why should the government be able to tell landowners what aesthetic style their building has to follow? Sounds like it should be a First Amendment violation to me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by livingsinglenyc View Post
Don't they own the building?

I personally think it should be land marked because our city history is dying. Manhattan soon will all look like midtown but if they own it I can see how they are able to fight it. If they just rent then they need to have a seat.

Old Yesterday, 04:34 PM

8,500 posts, read 6,488,642 times
ahhh the sweet irony!!

A core institution of the NYC left elite is going to dismantle a core institution of the NYC left elite

Old Yesterday, 04:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBMW View Post
Why should the government be able to tell landowners what aesthetic style their building has to follow? Sounds like it should be a First Amendment violation to me.
It's a really really thorny issue though. Entire towns in Massachusetts are landmarked and you cannot put a coat of paint or hang a gutter without going through extensive town hearings and approval. The ability to regulate the aesthetics of properties falls into the much bigger issue of zoning and city planning.

Can you imagine if the Supreme court struck down all zoning laws and all of a sudden you can build a 200 story skyscraper wherever you want? Manhattan would blow up. For this reason I think SCOTUS may try to stay as far away from this case as possible

Old Yesterday, 04:45 PM

6,528 posts, read 6,059,956 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BBMW View Post
Go own property in the middle of no where then. This it a people city. Its not just all about what one person wants. Its a city, its a community! Why are people on this board so damn selfish.

Old Today, 09:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by livingsinglenyc View Post
Go own property in the middle of no where then. This it a people city. Its not just all about what one person wants. Its a city, its a community! Why are people on this board so damn selfish.
Well the landmarks law doesn't just tell you what your building should look like, it singles you out and says you can't do anything to your building and the zoning / permit laws that apply to everybody else don't apply to you. That piece of land can never be touched again.

It can be argued that landmarks designation is completely arbitrary and such things are typically frowned upon at SCOTUS

Old Today, 09:59 AM

8,354 posts, read 3,708,005 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cida View Post
I don't understand your point. What do you mean, "Here we go"?
Here we go as in get your popcorn ready for the show...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or