U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old Yesterday, 06:54 AM

298 posts, read 74,660 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sydney123 View Post
I went back, knocked on the door and asked if I could come in and look around. The woman who answered the door told me no, and said if I didn’t leave she would call the police.
I said... come on mom, that’s just mean!
Thats funny.

It's common to hear parents threaten their misbehaving adult children with a call to the cops, one day I was getting off the train and a guy was ringing his parents buzzer like crazy and the father's head poked out from the window and he yells, "GET THE HELL OUT OF HERE OR I'M GOING TO CALL YOUR PAROLE OFFICER!"
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old Yesterday, 07:01 AM

38 posts, read 12,646 times
haven't been back to RIKERS

Old Yesterday, 08:30 AM

2,799 posts, read 2,381,230 times
yes! I go back to my old nabe once a month

Old Yesterday, 01:24 PM

401 posts, read 223,425 times
I live in my old neighborhood now. It is pathetic that not much has changed. Wait no...things have changed...the Pathmark is now Food Bazaar. The movie theater is said to have bed bugs and smell of ****. There are a bunch of stores that offer no real economic growth for the area as a whole.

Old Yesterday, 01:27 PM

482 posts, read 126,926 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Airborneguy View Post
I live in my “old” neighborhood.
Same

Old Yesterday, 04:15 PM

127 posts, read 23,682 times
I lived in Kensington, Brooklyn (near 18 Ave & Ocean Pkwy) until I moved to SI in 1990. Kensington deteriorated rapidly through the 1980s. My immediate Brooklyn neighbors were nice homeowners like us but the rest of Kensington was filled with lowlives. Angry stupid people that lived in dumpy apartment buildings. Sorry, but there's other way to describe most of them. By 1990 it was time to get out.

I get back to Brooklyn a few times a year but outside of driving through Kensington, have no reason to walk around the streets that I never really liked that much. No nostalgia here.

I also discovered that neighborhoods filled with apartment buildings like Kensington are not nearly as nice as my current neighborhood filled with private 1 and 2 family homes. Ownership matters and neighborhoods of owners are usually nicer than neighborhoods of renters. Over time most apartment buildings are sold and resold and deteriorate. Even the once nice elevator buildings along Ocean Parkway looked like crap by the time we left, a shame really.

Old Yesterday, 05:06 PM

13,081 posts, read 6,738,424 times
I drive by the old block in Bed Stuy every once in a while when I'm visiting the area. Its a beautiful block and hasn't changed much, though it was landmarked sometime in the last few years: http://s-media.nyc.gov/agencies/lpc/lp/2514.pdf

Old Yesterday, 06:18 PM

115 posts, read 14,838 times
I’m in Park Slope. But I grew up in Park Slop. We used to play on abandoned cars and hung out in empty buildings. Now I’m the old guy who goes around saying “this used to be an Ebingers, that was a Cushmans, over there is where the plane crashed....etc.”

Old Yesterday, 07:23 PM
Status: "Two minutes later...Girls On Film." (set 13 days ago)

2,119 posts, read 1,027,968 times
I've been seriously considering dropping by a few old neighborhoods and places I used to eat at, just for the nostalgia.

Old Yesterday, 09:10 PM

361 posts, read 700,283 times
Since I would have to hop on a plane, that’s a no for me. I do sometimes go to the street mode in Google Earth and virtually visit my childhood neighborhood. Does that count?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or