U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old Today, 12:30 PM

3,678 posts, read 1,443,742 times

Advertisements

I use poison stations around my house. I also take garbage bags filled with my cats litter and leave one always in the garbage can and in the back yard so cat urine fragrance can be smelled by the rodents. I can't smell it but they can.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old Today, 12:33 PM

20,290 posts, read 35,298,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bxlover View Post
I use poison stations around my house. I also take garbage bags filled with my cats litter and leave one always in the garbage can and in the back yard so cat urine fragrance can be smelled by the rodents. I can't smell it but they can.
Good tip

Forum TOS: http://www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old Today, 12:42 PM

3,678 posts, read 1,443,742 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeventhFloor View Post
Good tip
Have no idea if it works. But can't hurt.

Old Today, 03:24 PM

9,759 posts, read 9,485,407 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by deeken View Post
Rats can fight/wiggle their way out of those things. Unless you got a really big one. I've caught a bunch of mice though.
Exactly.

I guess I phrased my post wrong. I suppose what I was really wondering was whether the large ones are really good for rats, or, if we really do have a rat problem, the city should get manufacturers to make a bigger version.

Old Today, 03:28 PM

9,759 posts, read 9,485,407 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BugsyPal View Post
Exterminators do have access to some giant sized glue boards (with industrial strength adhesive) that in theory are capable of trapping and holding rats. Have seen them at some hardware stores as well. Sizes range from a larger version used to catch mice up to something size of large square floor tiles.

Thing is trapping a rat is one thing; unless thing in question kills said rodent (such as a snap trap), you're going to have one angry and frightened rat on your hands. That advice about not corning a rat is not to be taken lightly. So unless your handy with a heavy shovel or brick.....
That's interesting about the larger size. I assume you wait out the rat until it dies.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoullessOne View Post
there are bigger ones. Which ones are you buying the plastic ones or the paper ones?

Back when I lived in NYCHA we had large paper ones that had a peanut butter smell and laid flat to the floor. those effing mice were smart enough to avoid changes in elevation so they never stepped on the black plastic ones. we placed one under the fridge, 1 under the over, 1 under the washing machine and just went about our business. when we heard squeaking we know something was on a trap. Pull out the traps and so many things were on there besides mice.

Spiders, silver fish, coaches, and these little beetles. The downside about the traps is that the glue doesn't work that well when it gets a layer of dust on it
The plastic ones. The paper ones are too lightweight and I get the feeling they don't even have enough glue. Some of the mouse ones did claim to be seeded with something that would attract, but it never seemed to me that they were any better.

Yes, sounds like your experience is much like mine. The trick about the elevation is to put it some place where mice will run to escape when you enter the room. Then they run headlong onto it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post
They are rats but I hate seeing things suffer and a glue trap needs checked twice a day. Rats can drag them off and they will die a very slow death by starvation.
Wow. I hope to never have a infestation so bad that it needs to be checked twice a day. I just set out glue boards and then forget about them until I hear or smell something.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or