U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old Yesterday, 03:30 PM

9,768 posts, read 9,485,407 times

Advertisements

Thank god, I've never had a rat. But I find that glue boards are the best method for catching mice. But not with the small mouse-sized ones, only the big rat-sized ones. Maybe someone needs to be making bigger ones?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old Yesterday, 03:36 PM

11,226 posts, read 9,594,982 times
I've caught mice on them. Never had rats indoors.

My favorite mousetraps are the while plastic ones now marketed under the Tomcat brand (used to be Ortho.) Most mouse traps are not sensitive enough, and the mice have figured out how to get the bate without tripping the trap. But the white Tomcats are more sensitive, and the trigger is too big for the mice to avoid.

Edit: These are them https://www.tomcatbrand.com/en-us/pr...set-mouse-trap

Old Yesterday, 04:01 PM

9,768 posts, read 9,485,407 times
That's why I switched to glue boards. I'm proud of having such smart mice that they were adept at sneaking away the bait from snap-traps.

Old Yesterday, 04:25 PM

11,226 posts, read 9,594,982 times
Yes, but glue boards are one and done. And, of course, the mice are still alive on the glue boards, and AFAIK, you can't get them off. The traps work (one caught five mice in the last flare up of the mouse wars) can be reused (I've had some for years), and make a quick clean kill.

Old Yesterday, 04:33 PM

1,812 posts, read 2,234,843 times
Rats can fight/wiggle their way out of those things. Unless you got a really big one. I've caught a bunch of mice though.

Old Yesterday, 04:51 PM

741 posts, read 254,615 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cida View Post
Thank god, I've never had a rat. But I find that glue boards are the best method for catching mice. But not with the small mouse-sized ones, only the big rat-sized ones. Maybe someone needs to be making bigger ones?
there are bigger ones.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Th3RqUDKS4

Which ones are you buying the plastic ones or the paper ones?

Back when I lived in NYCHA we had large paper ones that had a peanut butter smell and laid flat to the floor. those effing mice were smart enough to avoid changes in elevation so they never stepped on the black plastic ones. we placed one under the fridge, 1 under the over, 1 under the washing machine and just went about our business. when we heard squeaking we know something was on a trap. Pull out the traps and so many things were on there besides mice.

Spiders, silver fish, coaches, and these little beetles. The downside about the traps is that the glue doesn't work that well when it gets a layer of dust on it

Old Yesterday, 06:27 PM

21,702 posts, read 14,384,874 times
Exterminators do have access to some giant sized glue boards (with industrial strength adhesive) that in theory are capable of trapping and holding rats. Have seen them at some hardware stores as well. Sizes range from a larger version used to catch mice up to something size of large square floor tiles.

Thing is trapping a rat is one thing; unless thing in question kills said rodent (such as a snap trap), you're going to have one angry and frightened rat on your hands. That advice about not corning a rat is not to be taken lightly. So unless your handy with a heavy shovel or brick.....

Old Yesterday, 06:29 PM

4,347 posts, read 1,748,853 times
yes.

glue board
and others.

takes LOTS of glue boards
and even MORE others.

Old Yesterday, 07:11 PM

1,603 posts, read 1,090,553 times
Never had rats inside, only mice. I used the rat glue traps where I used to live. Caught mice on them. When I heard them cry I'd go in and drop an old small mouse glue trap over their faces so they suffocated fast. Then into the outside garbage.
You need supersize gluectraps for rats.

Old Today, 09:48 AM

36,250 posts, read 32,835,928 times
They are rats but I hate seeing things suffer and a glue trap needs checked twice a day. Rats can drag them off and they will die a very slow death by starvation.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or