Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-24-2019, 05:49 PM

31,904 posts, read 26,961,756 times

Advertisements

There coming out of the woodwork with loony ideas since that eegit Corey Johnson opened his mouth.

God help us if that guy becomes next mayor.

https://gothamist.com/news/how-else-...ce?to=comments
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-24-2019, 08:25 PM

16,029 posts, read 6,840,321 times
Opinion:
Corey's been watching too many cartoons on the future..................put a lid on it pal...... we ain't there yet!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tTq6Tofmo7E

Old 09-24-2019, 09:39 PM

17,874 posts, read 15,939,379 times
NYC seems to be getting rid of street parking.

Case in point, Ridgewood Queens and its major thoroughfare of Fresh Pond Rd.

You can no longer park on the south side of the street. The lane next to curb is dedicated to bus lane now after 3pm on weekdays.

During rush hours in Manhattan, and lot of avenues are not available to park to facilitate traffic. Also a lot of places are only available to commercial vehicles for parking.

Old 09-24-2019, 09:51 PM

15,840 posts, read 14,472,390 times
There are two million car owners in NYC. They need to organize, get politically aggressive, and crush idiots like Johnson.

Old 09-25-2019, 04:26 AM

268 posts, read 239,574 times
NYC does have too much street parking and too many cars. There should be no parking on avenues in Manhattan, on any street with a median and most bus routes. Buses should have San Fracisco-style devoted lanes with a curb divider. Almost no city employee should have a car in Manhattan. There should be zero placards--either park in a certain amount of space reserved in front of police stations and firehouses or don't drive.

I feel like people griping about "needing" cars and wanting more concessions haven't traveled much. One of the reasons traffic is so bad in NYC is all of the wasted space given to free parking.

Old 09-25-2019, 04:30 AM

6,222 posts, read 3,597,419 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rayona View Post
NYC does have too much street parking and too many cars. There should be no parking on avenues in Manhattan, on any street with a median and most bus routes. Buses should have San Fracisco-style devoted lanes with a curb divider. Almost no city employee should have a car in Manhattan. There should be zero placards--either park in a certain amount of space reserved in front of police stations and firehouses or don't drive.

I feel like people griping about "needing" cars and wanting more concessions haven't traveled much. One of the reasons traffic is so bad in NYC is all of the wasted space given to free parking.
A large chunk of NYC is not that urban, hence the desire for cars. Ultra liberals that live in Manhattan and Park Slope seem to think that not having a car is viable for everyone, when in reality that would be a big inconvenience to many people living further out.

And I say this as someome who is not really pro-car. I don't think new construction should have off street parking unless it's a certain distance from the subway.

Old 09-25-2019, 06:37 AM

16,029 posts, read 6,840,321 times
Quote:

Opinion:

Disagree.
Congestion pricing is only a ploy to forcefully integrate the masses into mass transit ridership through monetary oppression under the disguise of reducing this so called abysmal automobile traffic.The reason traffic is so bad in New York dates back to the 70's when the subways became the urinals of our majestic city. If a poll was conducted immediately as to the #1 reason why one chooses to take car service,drive a car or take a bus into work it boils down to the the refusal to ride alongside urine,feces,homelessness, the insane and animals that call themselves law abiding citizens. Who wants to risk life and limb going to work sitting alongside some miscreant complaining why you are staring at me or occupying my air space. I traveled the system for almost 40 years and as incredibly capable of handling myself, always ended up involved breaking up an argument or moving to a different section of a train that didn't smell as bad. Performance did improve with the introduction of new trains but unfortunately new people have not been introduced. Stop and question why did the riding public back in the days respect.....delicate straw seats,porcelain grip handles for many many years before the animal invaders decided to slash,smash and vandalize? New trains is a step in the right direction. Since you can't change the behavior of some peoples than forcefully monitor by policing who rides the trains so that others can ride in a joyous comfort if you Manhattanites truly want increased ridership and reduced automobile congestion. We car and home owners in the other boroughs manage to all get along .
Learn it.Live it....................

Last edited by Mr.Retired; 09-25-2019 at 06:58 AM..

Old 09-25-2019, 07:20 AM

37,131 posts, read 39,380,764 times
For major commercial arterials, they should have a lot more standing zones for delivery and livery services in place of a lot of parking. They should also cut back parking from the corners to make them into turn lanes. Delivery and rideshare is essentially what's mucking up the streets--these also go in place of needing parking though since things are either coming to you or picking you up or dropping you off. Bus lanes on certain routes also make sense, though having the larger and more frequent standing zones for delivery and livery services would by themselves make buses a lot better.

Old 09-25-2019, 07:24 AM

34,080 posts, read 47,278,015 times
How many of you have cars and don't have an off-street parking spot?

Forum TOS: http://www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 09-25-2019, 07:38 AM

6,192 posts, read 7,355,014 times
Quote:

NYC has a lot of people who do need to drive and/or don't live near mass transit. There are places that are practically suburban, which people seem to largely ignore. Where my MIL lives, she is no where near a train and the buses are awful. (She can't take it at this point in her life anyway since she is barely mobile and needs a car to pick her up and take her around.)

Many people do not have cars and/or do not drive everywhere, which causes the biggest problem---taxis, car service, etc. The other day I was sitting outside at work and 9 out of 10 cars that went down the block had TLC plates. The congestion is more problematic than the parking and if you think the city would add additional lanes by removing street parking---yeah right---they aim to reduce lanes and make congestion even worse. You might say the parking is free but the city makes A LOT of money off of drivers here and if they reduced the amount of vehicles on the road, everyone would BOO-HOO when they feel that monetary hit from not ticketing people to death.

Bus routes are a joke---I don't know how many times I see buses not using them (even when they are free and clear) and too many delivery trucks/taxi drivers using them as they please. In my opinion, the biggest issues are car service and delivery trucks. The amount of TLC plates on the road is mind boggling (and the fact that they are so extensively used goes to show that transit isn't that great) and now with non-stop deliveries, you can walk down every block and see multiple people attempting to deliver 1,000 boxes via Amazon every day.

BTW-I say all this as someone who would rather stick a fork in my eye than actively try to drive into the city for work. I did have a coworker at my previous job who drove because a forty-five minute drive would otherwise be a two hour commute by transit since she lived far out in Queens somewhere.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: