Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-25-2019, 05:07 PM

8,620 posts, read 5,648,693 times

Advertisements

Just wondering what those in the know think about Battery Park City. There are lots of condos for sale there.

I would guess flood insurance might be needed - and it's on landfill, so not sure how to feel about that.

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/08/15/r...-landfill.html
Quick reply to this message

Old 09-26-2019, 01:35 AM

450 posts, read 474,698 times
Best neighborhood to raise kids in in the five boros

Old 09-26-2019, 06:18 AM

4,771 posts, read 6,563,439 times
I work in Brookfield Place, so I take an interest in BPC. There is an ongoing concern among residents about the land leases. (The buildings are on land leased from the Battery Park City Authority.) Here’s a recent article. I remember reading another article in the New York Times saying the issue had been resolved, but I can’t find that one. Here’s one article to start you off:

https://www.ebroadsheet.com/everybody-going-get-pushed/

Old 09-26-2019, 06:52 AM

268 posts, read 239,531 times
It's fine but very boring and not a great commute, especially to the east side. The elementary schools are great but most kids will need to travel for middle school and living that far from the subway will add 10-15 minutes each way. It's very cold and windy in the winter. I lived there for 3 years and am much happier being east of West Street.

Old 09-26-2019, 08:56 AM

2,970 posts, read 2,615,640 times
Condos might be for sale, but for the price? Pass. It's not a bad neighborhood, just boring and really not much to it. If you're willing to pay those common charges + property taxes, go ahead. Even the cheapest listing on streeteasy costs more per month than my rent ever has nevermind the money spent on mortgage and whatnot https://streeteasy.com/building/hudson-view-west/5f

Old 09-26-2019, 09:29 AM

12,789 posts, read 8,286,741 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rayona View Post
It's fine but very boring and not a great commute, especially to the east side. The elementary schools are great but most kids will need to travel for middle school and living that far from the subway will add 10-15 minutes each way. It's very cold and windy in the winter. I lived there for 3 years and am much happier being east of West Street.
Used to visit people by Little West Street and my God the wind during the cold months... Practically knocks you down!! Those shuttle buses they have are nice that loop around, but reaching Battery Park City is still a royal pain as there is no subway nearby, and the buses run poorly too. You really need a car there, unless you do most things there in Battery Park City. I think TriBeCa is better in that regard.

I also don't find the food scene to be that great, though you have some options over by the WFC. I found myself constantly going up to TriBeCa every time I left from Battery Park City for dining options. Ironically these people compliment me on the neighborhood I live in (they have friends that have a house in my area), but as nice as Battery Park City is, I could never live there unless I had off-street parking.

Old 09-26-2019, 09:57 AM

268 posts, read 239,531 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pierrepont7731 View Post
Used to visit people by Little West Street and my God the wind during the cold months... Practically knocks you down!! Those shuttle buses they have are nice that loop around, but reaching Battery Park City is still a royal pain as there is no subway nearby, and the buses run poorly too. You really need a car there, unless you do most things there in Battery Park City. I think TriBeCa is better in that regard.

I also don't find the food scene to be that great, though you have some options over by the WFC. I found myself constantly going up to TriBeCa every time I left from Battery Park City for dining options. Ironically these people compliment me on the neighborhood I live in (they have friends that have a house in my area), but as nice as Battery Park City is, I could never live there unless I had off-street parking.
You absolutely don't need a car but it is more isolated that most Manhattan neighborhoods. I think it is great for renters who never really wanted to move to NYC but had to relocate for temporary corporate reasons or are foreign and don't want to own real estate here. Its also handy for stay at homes with babies. I wouldn't move back there and I certainly wouldn't buy.

Old 09-26-2019, 10:29 AM

25,368 posts, read 37,066,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nobodysbusiness View Post
Just wondering what those in the know think about Battery Park City. There are lots of condos for sale there.

I would guess flood insurance might be needed - and it's on landfill, so not sure how to feel about that.

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/08/15/r...-landfill.html

I'd love to live there but I cannot afford it.

Old 09-26-2019, 10:40 AM

34,076 posts, read 47,269,417 times
If I could afford it (meaning also having a car with off-street parking), I would live there too. Sleepy neighborhood, close to the water, and all the buildings are relatively new, having been built at least in the last 30 or so years.

Forum TOS: http://www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 09-26-2019, 11:25 AM

12,789 posts, read 8,286,741 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rayona View Post
You absolutely don't need a car but it is more isolated that most Manhattan neighborhoods. I think it is great for renters who never really wanted to move to NYC but had to relocate for temporary corporate reasons or are foreign and don't want to own real estate here. Its also handy for stay at homes with babies. I wouldn't move back there and I certainly wouldn't buy.
That depends on what you are doing and where you are going. As I said the transportation there is scarce. I shop often at the Whole Foods by Greenwich in Tribeca and used to go to it often on weekends after visiting people there in BPC. You don't need a car per se, but it takes a while to get there by public transportation.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City